why is princess delaying sydney departures

Ever since my Princess Sydney delayed departure in January,Ive been taking note of expected departure times and actual departure times.

Often the time given is 4pm but some dont leave till 6 or 7pm.

I didnt get an answer that I believed when I asked on board.

Does anyone know the answer?

I believe that cruise ship departure times from ports and sailing times can be a complicated thing to understand.  

It could be many reasons, one of which what time they can dock in the next port and the sailing time to the next port.

We have been on many cruises where the departure time has been later than posted and never asked anyone specifically.

Is there a reason you are asking this?

Posted (edited)

This weekend there was a terrible rain storm that delayed all ships arriving in Sydney and therefore the embarkation of new passengers and departure times.  See this thread on the Australia and New Zealand Cruisers forum:

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 1

@jkhabc - is this question a continuation of your earlier thread?  You might want to post it on the Australia and New Zealand Cruisers forum.  I haven't seen any other comments - other than my previous post - about embarkation issues at Sydney but you would get more responses there since the vast majority of passengers embarking in Sydney are Aussies and Kiwis.

By the way and out of curiousity, what did they tell you onboard in the case of your cruise and why don't you believe it?

External factors may come into the equation, but the port authorities may have the final say. 

Eg. A large ship with a large 'air draft' may need lower water to get safely under the bridge. 

There may be restricted movements?

Who knows.🙂

There are many reasons that cruise ships delay their departure from an embarkation port.  It is often a simple issue that they need more time to load all the supplies.  There are also times when they may be waiting for 1 or more passengers who mahy be on delayed flights (often booked through the cruise line).  We have also been on a few cruises that were delayed because of a medical emergency (onboard) and it can take some time to arrange for a patient to be moved ashore.  And there are also cases of port congestion, weather, tides, the delay of a harbor pilot boarding the ship, etc.  Over our 50 years of extensive cruising we have experienced all of the above with some Captains sharing the reason for a delay and others not only offering veiled hints.

Hank

10 hours ago, jkhabc said:

Ever since my Princess Sydney delayed departure in January,Ive been taking note of expected departure times and actual departure times.

Often the time given is 4pm but some dont leave till 6 or 7pm.

I didnt get an answer that I believed when I asked on board.

Does anyone know the answer?

There are numerous reasons for the Master to delay departure and many of them aren't even within the control of the vessel.

You didn't mention which berth you were at, as if you were at OPT, tidal height shouldn't be an issue.

Just out of interest, what reasons were provided that you didn't believe?

It can be a myriad of reasons, the sshipmay not be ready to go due to things like Passengers, cargo, crew, harbour pilot, fuel, wildlife,  entertainers, mechanical issues, weather conditions like rain, tides, winds, 

Thanks everyone for your suggestions...makes sense now.

I had asked at the crew Q and A session on board and the CD replied that everyone's passports were needed to be checked on departure,so that took extra time.

I didn't believe this as this is what happens for Australians  traveling to International waters every time anyway and it hasn't delayed us previously.

I just wish these Q and A sessions told us the truth,I'm not bothering to go anymore as I genuinely just want to know.I'm not complaining,just curious.

11 hours ago, jkhabc said:

I just wish these Q and A sessions told us the truth,I'm not bothering to go anymore as I genuinely just want to know.I'm not complaining,just curious.

My personal and professional experience has been that outside of the Deck and Engine departments, very few folks who work on cruise ships know the first thing about how they work, or what goes on, or why.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1