On Board Credit Prior to Boarding???

One thing you can do with shore excursions is buy them now with credit card then once on ship the shore excursions desk can switch it to OBC and credit your account

• Like 3

HAL, unlike other lines,  does not allow you to apply OBC to purchases prior to boarding.  However, you may have OBC applied to pre purchased items and they will credit your cc for that amount after your sail date as Mary 229 stated. 

• Like 1

Cannot use OBC prior to boarding. 

Can use HIA dining & shore exc credits prior to boarding.

Be sure to ask at Shore Exc desk (not GS) to have pre-paid purchases move from CC to OBC; Guest Services cannot do it.

Safe travels- enjoy your cruise!

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Be sure to ask at Shore Exc desk (not GS) to have pre-paid purchases move from CC to OBC; Guest Services cannot do it.

The Shore Excursions desk can handle only the pre-cruise purchases of shore excursions. Guest Services handles the pre-cruise purchase of dining reservations.

1 minute ago, Cruise Suzy said:

The Shore Excursions desk can handle only the pre-cruise purchases of shore excursions. Guest Services handles the pre-cruise purchase of dining reservations.

Correct.

12 minutes ago, tarrenel said:

Could you use gift cards toward prepaid items such as shore excursions?

Everything except crew tips.  I simply buy onboard credit With cards which covers the tips

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/9/2024 at 4:25 PM, Mary229 said:

Everything except crew tips.  I simply buy onboard credit With cards which covers the tips

How do I purchase additional on board credit  before boarding? After boarding?

Does the process change if you are using gift cards to purchase OBC? I am considering purchasing HAL gift cards through AARP.

Would any unused on board credit be returned to my credit card even if I purchased it with a gift card? Thank you. 

Edited by Ileneilene123

23 minutes ago, Ileneilene123 said:

Would any unused on board credit be returned to my credit card even if I purchased it with a gift card?

The stated practice is that refunds are to the source they came from. One of our frequent posters had half go back to AARP gift cards and half to his credit card (causing consternation when he thought they had not refunded the total).  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ileneilene123 said:

How do I purchase additional on board credit  before boarding? After boarding?

Does the process change if you are using gift cards to purchase OBC? I am considering purchasing HAL gift cards through AARP.

Would any unused on board credit be returned to my credit card even if I purchased it with a gift card? Thank you. 

On the manage my cruise page you can buy OBC just as you buy packages, flowers, shore excursions, etc…or you can simply bring the gift card with you (I keep mine in my Apple wallet.).  You go to the guest services desk and pay as you go - that is whenever I get to $500 I bring them a gift card . You could wait until the end of the cruise but the lines can be long on the last day.

i never buy more than I need, you can calculate your crew tips easily enough. There has been a lot of inconsistencies between ships as to refunds so it is best to pay less than you will need upfront. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

On the manage my cruise page you can buy OBC just as you buy packages, flowers, shore excursions, etc…or you can simply bring the gift card with you (I keep mine in my Apple wallet.).  

Thank you @Mary229 and @crystalspin .  Is there a way to purchase OBC on the Navigator App? I have been having difficulty in general with the website and cannot seem to find the option there. (That’s another story — I cannot open my account page or manage my cruise at all, neither can my husband. Frustrating.). 

Edited by Ileneilene123

17 minutes ago, Ileneilene123 said:

Thank you @Mary229 and @crystalspin .  Is there a way to purchase OBC on the Navigator App? I have been having difficulty in general with the website and cannot seem to find the option there. (That’s another story — I cannot open my account page or manage my cruise at all, neither can my husband. Frustrating.). 

There have been quite a few difficulties with the website recently. Try another web browser.  If that doesn’t work you can call them. 

• Thanks 1