Farewell Princess - No Trust in Accommodating Dietary Needs

iankh

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, iankh said:

Thank you. It really comes down to a matter of trust. The key is that none of my inquiries were answered, this made me uncomfortable, particularly since I wrote to an email address I obtained from the Princess website. After sitting in a waiting room, anxious because my partner is having a section of their intestine removed, and then subsequent hospital stays with tubes being shoved down their throat and being told that it was critical, I have developed a level of distrust, hence doing due diligence.

We're on a Celebrity cruise to Alaska in August, and the email I sent to Celebrity resulted in a response 24-hours later.

I am not fool enough to not know that additional diligence will be required while onboard ship, and needing to talk to staff, headwaiters and even chefs. For my personal decision, it was a matter of whether I start out knowing that caution is needed, or start out where there I have no trust at all.

I also know enough to purchase travel insurance early enough so that we have the preexisting health waiver and that the policy has sufficient emergency medical evacuation coverage should we need it.

We all weigh our appetite for risk. Some have more tolerance for it than others. Perhaps mine is low. The question I always ask myself is, "How will I feel if..."

Do what you think is right and what your doctor and other medical professionals are telling you!! Don't put your lives in risk from a bunch of comments from some of the members on this board.. as you learn in emergency services whether they be police,fire, or EMTs.. you learn the world's full of ****... Hope you have an enjoyable and a safe cruise!!!😎

Edited by STLCARDS82
  • Like 2

On 4/7/2024 at 4:22 PM, iankh said:

I had a Hawaii cruise booked on Princess that I canceled today. I wrote to them on four separate occasions about the crucial need for my husband to have vegan or vegetarian food, and to my dismay, did not receive a single reply to any of my emails (I believe waiting three months for a reply is more than reasonable). We had a previous experience, about 5 years ago, when we took our first cruise with Princess. The 'vegetarian' options on the menu contained parmesan cheese, which is made with rennet, an enzyme taken from the stomachs of cows or sheep. The kitchen did try to accommodate us, but since they could not disclose the ingredients, it led to a very distressing week. When I returned home I wrote to Princess and received a reply from customer service that was both unsettling and alarming. I was informed that they offer what they consider to be vegetarian food and that passengers consume the food they offer at their own risk. I should emphasize that my husband has a condition that could potentially lead to hospitalization, as it had done in the past, so the concern about meeting dietary needs was not trivial.

I looked at Princess again and thought that perhaps after five years, things had changed. To be proactive, I wrote to Princess explaining his physical condition and our past cruise experience with them. Silence. There was no response to my initial email or the three follow-up emails.

I recently booked a Holland America cruise to Hawaii and specified the dietary restrictions. I received an email back with the email address of their special needs department. To my pleasant surprise, within 24 hours, I received a personalized, detailed response outlining exactly what they would do to accommodate the diet and who I should speak to when we boarded the ship. They assured me that they take dietary needs very seriously, a stark contrast to my experience with Princess Cruises.

I know that many people here have had wonderful experiences with Princess. Our friends are very loyal to Princess. I'm also sure that others with dietary needs have had excellent experiences with Princess. But as they say, "Once burned, twice cautious."  It could have been a redeemable situation had they responded to my emails.

This posting is not about the merits of Princess vs. Holland America. I did not cancel our Princess booking because" cruise line—they're not. They're a very good cruise line in all respects except for this. This posting is about listening and responsiveness to needs. I canceled based on personal experience and their lack of response to me. I canceled because, for our needs, I simply don't trust them.

Since you mentioned that your husband has medical reasons for his diet, and it’s not a lifestyle choice, rennet is vegetarian for dietary purposes.  It’s only not vegetarian as a lifestyle choice since animals are killed to obtain it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/7/2024 at 8:11 PM, nasa1974 said:

@iankh Sorry to hear that Princess didn't respond. Just curious who you wrote to at Princess.

The end of this month I will be cruising with my youngest daughter and her family. My three-year-old granddaughter has an egg allergy. I sent Princess an email, subject was food allergy and in the main part of the email was our sail date, ship, cabin number, passengers name and age and what the dietary request was. I had a response the same day.

Here is the email address: dietaryrequest@princesscruises.com

I think I’m the one that gave you the email address and let you know what to include. I’m so happy that they responded right away. Please post and share how everything went. Enjoy your cruise! 

• Like 1

On 4/8/2024 at 7:02 AM, MinnesotaDreamer said:

As someone who is considering Princess for Alaska with a food allergy kid, this is the sort of thing that causes concern. I see all the “talk to the waiter” comments, but there should at minimum be a reply on what is the right process and protocol.

For people with life threatening food allergies, it is not enough to assume it will be fine when you show up.

I have a rare dairy allergy called FPIES. Princess takes excellent care of me. If you do book a cruise send an email to this email address. In the subject line write Food Allergies. In the body of the email list passenger name, cabin number, sail dates, ship name, and explain the allergies or intolerances.

When you arrive at the MDR, let them know about the allergies. They will have someone talk to you and each night you will place an order for the following day so the meal can be specially prepared allergen free.

If you are in the buffet ask to speak to the head chef. The chef will walk the line with you and let you know what is free of the allergens. If you are worried about cross-contamination then ask the chef if something can be made.

Just like any land-based restaurant, always be prepared in case of an emergency. I feel safer dining on a Princess ship than I do at any land based restaurant. 

IMG_8346.jpeg

• Like 3

On 4/8/2024 at 12:27 PM, jeromep said:

Exactly!  And speaking of the app, to set your preferences, including food allergies, you go to Profile (where you see your smiling face), scroll down... way down, and choose Dining Preferences.  There are three tabs there, the first is Allergens, where you click on the food groups you are allergic to, the Diet tab is where you would click to tell Princess if you were following a Vegan or other type of special diet, and the Seating tab ask for table preference and dining pace.

This is a much more reliable way to communicate this kind of information to Princess than trying to email them and having some call center handle it.

Yes, allergies should be listed in the app but an email also should to be sent to the Princess dietary department. 

• Like 2

Just now, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I’m allergic to dairy, will you please tell me how being flexible works? 

Don’t rely on email. Make sure you check with servers and chefs. This whole thread started because someone didn’t get a response to an email. We have allergies and question every menu we get on land or sea

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, memoak said:

Don’t rely on email. Make sure you check with servers and chefs. This whole thread started because someone didn’t get a response to an email. We have allergies and question every menu we get on land or sea

I’m pretty sure they did not get a response to an email sent to the wrong email address. I always send an email to the dietary department and then I talk to them once onboard. You are correct that everything always needs to be questioned. Food allergies stink. 

• Like 3

On 4/12/2024 at 5:02 AM, MacMadame said:

believe Celebrity Cruises has indications on the menu as to allergens for every dish. (I saw it on a YouTube video or I'd link to the menu to show it.) You might want to check them out.

Celebrity does have allergen labels on most items in the Oceanview cafe ( buffet). They also have dedicated GF sections in this area. The menus in the main dining rooms listed various dietary options. At every meal we were asked if anyone had food allergies or special requirements at the start of the meal. 

• Like 3

On 4/8/2024 at 3:46 PM, Paula_MacFan said:

Agreed -- it took me about 10 seconds to open the app and look under Profile. 

Screenshot_20240408_144358_Princess.jpg

Screenshot_20240408_144403_Princess.jpg

I'm glad I used the website.  I don't have "popular" or "normal" allergens and there is no way to list other items from what I can see here.  On the website, there is an Other box with a freeform entry. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I have a rare dairy allergy called FPIES. Princess takes excellent care of me. If you do book a cruise send an email to this email address. In the subject line write Food Allergies. In the body of the email list passenger name, cabin number, sail dates, ship name, and explain the allergies or intolerances.

When you arrive at the MDR, let them know about the allergies. They will have someone talk to you and each night you will place an order for the following day so the meal can be specially prepared allergen free.

If you are in the buffet ask to speak to the head chef. The chef will walk the line with you and let you know what is free of the allergens. If you are worried about cross-contamination then ask the chef if something can be made.

Just like any land-based restaurant, always be prepared in case of an emergency. I feel safer dining on a Princess ship than I do at any land based restaurant. 

IMG_8346.jpeg

May I ask why send an email and then at the MDR let them know about the allergies?  What is the purpose of the email?  Could one just let the MDR know on the first night?  I am asking because I will travel with someone who can not eat dairy.  Thanks.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, dickinson said:

May I ask why send an email and then at the MDR let them know about the allergies?  What is the purpose of the email?  Could one just let the MDR know on the first night?  I am asking because I will travel with someone who can not eat dairy.  Thanks.

In the past (haven't seen it lately), I have labeled myself low sodium.  I know, not a serious life threatening problem.  I have always received a card on board to take to the dining room.  That lets me know that land base communicated with the ship.

Of late, I have not seen that card.  But the Assistant Manager in the dining room has always been able to accommodate my needs.

I sometimes traveled with someone allergic to tomatoes.  We did mention it to the waiter and it was immediately removed and a replacement dish arrived.  It was not an ingredient listed on the menu.  To be fair, travel mate did not let anyone know.  After that....no more tomatoes.

I also traveled with someone allergic to strawberries.  Friend won't touch the plate if a strawberry appears.  Taken away in a blink of an eye.

Those with severe allergies need to always proactive.  Even after notifying the correct source, I would still question if it were a life or death situation.  Think of the doctor that died at Disney World when she at a dish with peanuts.  

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/26/business/new-york-doctor-dies-at-disney-world-restaurant-after-staff-confirmed-food-was-allergen-free-lawsuit-alleges/index.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dickinson said:

They want to be notified ahead so they can alert the ship. May I ask when your cruise is? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

In the past (haven't seen it lately), I have labeled myself low sodium.  I know, not a serious life threatening problem.  I have always received a card on board to take to the dining room.  That lets me know that land base communicated with the ship.

Of late, I have not seen that card.  But the Assistant Manager in the dining room has always been able to accommodate my needs.

I sometimes traveled with someone allergic to tomatoes.  We did mention it to the waiter and it was immediately removed and a replacement dish arrived.  It was not an ingredient listed on the menu.  To be fair, travel mate did not let anyone know.  After that....no more tomatoes.

I also traveled with someone allergic to strawberries.  Friend won't touch the plate if a strawberry appears.  Taken away in a blink of an eye.

Those with severe allergies need to always proactive.  Even after notifying the correct source, I would still question if it were a life or death situation.  Think of the doctor that died at Disney World when she at a dish with peanuts.  

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/26/business/new-york-doctor-dies-at-disney-world-restaurant-after-staff-confirmed-food-was-allergen-free-lawsuit-alleges/index.html

I just read the article that you posted the link to. I had not heard about that. That’s awful! I once went to outback steakhouse and I ordered a steak. I let them know about my dairy allergy and I also repeated it a few times. When I received my steak, it looked really shiny so I asked if there was butter on it. I was told no, no butter. I refused to eat it, and the person I was with was kind of getting upset with me. I let it sit on the table and 10 minutes later they came running up to me and told me that the cook had melted butter on my steak. What if I would had eaten it? I am not anaphylactic. I have a rare allergy called FPIES and I could possibly go into shock. You always have to ask 10 times and then ask 10 times more… and then say a prayer 😂.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

They want to be notified ahead so they can alert the ship. May I ask when your cruise is? 

But it seems some people say they get on the ship and the MDR does not know about it so what is the purpose?  My cruise is the beginning of August.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, dickinson said:

But it seems some people say they get on the ship and the MDR does not know about it so what is the purpose?  My cruise is the beginning of August.

Maybe it’s a tool for ordering ingredients for the galley.  Maybe it’s a trigger for staff training.  Maybe, if no one advised them in advance, they could shut down the special galley.  Who knows?  It takes all of a minute to fill out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dickinson said:

I always send the email, I add the info into my profile in the app and then I talk to them on the ship. You have time to do that if you want to. You do you. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I always send the email, I add the info into my profile in the app and then I talk to them on the ship. You have time to do that if you want to. You do you. 

How far in advance of sailing do you send the email?

• Like 1

I honestly think the ship is always "concerned about the current sailing". Unless they need to add food at the pier for a specific diet (Kosher, baby food) - I don't think they will do anything before ones gets on a ship. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

What if your dietary requirement isn't there, such as low salt ?

Interesting. …. Low sodium “used to be” an option on the old app.  I don’t see it on the new one.

And why should it take 3 minutes to open the app?

You can still request low/no sodium with the Assistant Manager in the MDR.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, dickinson said:

How far in advance of sailing do you send the email?

I usually send it as soon as I book. If it’s too far in advance I try to send it before final payment, if I remember. I just like to do everything I can to try to make sure that I stay safe.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I usually send it as soon as I book. If it’s too far in advance I try to send it before final payment, if I remember. I just like to do everything I can to try to make sure that I stay safe.

Thank you!

• Like 1

On 4/21/2024 at 3:15 AM, Dermotsgirl said:

What if your dietary requirement isn't there, such as low salt ?

And my comments on low salt - We are on a 33 night cruise.  On a shorter cruise, we just eat the salt and take water pills.  This would not work for 33 nights.  We did request "no added salt".  We order the night before.  But, their idea of no added salt is no cheese, sauce, mashed potatoes, spices of any kind.  Each meal we get a protein, broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots.  Each meal looks and tastes the same.  We have crossed the Princess World Cruise off our list.  We could not eat like this for over 100 days.  Also, every fish dish has been over cooked.

We have done a 140 night cruise on another line.  We ate the same food as everybody else.  They just took the time to make the sauce, soups, mashed potatoes especially for us and the rest of the low salt group with NO ADDED SALT.

Good news is - we are losing weight!

• Like 2