Mendenhall Glacier

wolfie11

When I was there last year, park ranger predicts Mendenhall Glacier will no longer be visible from visitor center in 10 years or less. Everyone should go and appreciate its natural beauty while you still can. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Locals advise to make a lot of noise while hiking so you don't scare a sow with cubs.  One method is an empty soda can partially filled with rocks and shaken vigorously as you walk. 

would not a bear bell work better? 

On 4/11/2024 at 3:08 PM, jeromep said:

I'm not an Alaska expert, but this is about the best list of things in Juneau to do which are not related to Mendenhall.

We got a self-guided Jeep rental excursion that went out to Eagle Beach, but we knew the Shrine of St. Therese from a previous visit to Juneau and wanted to return.  The road to Eagle Beach goes right by the Shrine, so it was easy to spend some time there.  Plus we used our own GPS to meander around Juneau and explore a bit.

On our next visit we'll probably just rent a car for the day and explore on our own.

As for the current condition of Mendenhall, I still like going out there to visit.  The visitors center is pretty typical NPS, it does its job.  I've never been overwhelmed with NPS visitors centers, and I've been to quite a few.  They are utilitarian and provide basic interpretation for the NPS site, they aren't meant to outshine the natural environment they are set up to serve.  I'm not sure on our next cruise if we will go out there, but we'll keep our minds open to it.

I have rented a vehicle when we are in port and was going to explore on our own. Any specific advice? We have never been to the area but I had a list similar to the one above. Our ship gets into port around 9am and we pick the vehicle up immediately. How long should I allow to get to St Therese's and back. Google Maps is sometimes way off in estimates. Thanks.

41 minutes ago, Cuppcake40 said:

I have rented a vehicle when we are in port and was going to explore on our own. Any specific advice? We have never been to the area but I had a list similar to the one above. Our ship gets into port around 9am and we pick the vehicle up immediately. How long should I allow to get to St Therese's and back. Google Maps is sometimes way off in estimates. Thanks.

I'm glad you asked this question.  I am no expert.  Last year in Juneau we booked a Jeep through Princess.  We literally walked off the dock to the booth they were at, handed them our excursion pass, and were handed a Jeep, its key, and a booster seat for my daughter and we were off.  Their iPad with their custom routing and audio program was mounted to the dash and tethered to the audio system and we followed that all the way out to Eagle Beach, as our first stop.  I think it was about a 45 minute drive out to Eagle Beach, about 20 minutes from Eagle Beach back to St. Therese, another 30 minutes from St. Therese to Mendenhall.  Of course, you get out and spend time at these locations.  Travel times to places around Juneau aren't excessive and Google maps is going to give you pretty good time in transit estimates since traffic doesn't seem to be a big deal.

I hope somebody else will answer your question, too.  I'd add to your questions, this year I'd like to just rent a car and navigate around on my own.  Where can I rent a car that is within a short walking distance from the dock (that Majestic Princess will likely be at)?

4 minutes ago, jeromep said:

I'm glad you asked this question.  I am no expert.  Last year in Juneau we booked a Jeep through Princess.  We literally walked off the dock to the booth they were at, handed them our excursion pass, and were handed a Jeep, its key, and a booster seat for my daughter and we were off.  Their iPad with their custom routing and audio program was mounted to the dash and tethered to the audio system and we followed that all the way out to Eagle Beach, as our first stop.  I think it was about a 45 minute drive out to Eagle Beach, about 20 minutes from Eagle Beach back to St. Therese, another 30 minutes from St. Therese to Mendenhall.  Of course, you get out and spend time at these locations.  Travel times to places around Juneau aren't excessive and Google maps is going to give you pretty good time in transit estimates since traffic doesn't seem to be a big deal.

I hope somebody else will answer your question, too.  I'd add to your questions, this year I'd like to just rent a car and navigate around on my own.  Where can I rent a car that is within a short walking distance from the dock (that Majestic Princess will likely be at)?

I rented a SUV through Turo.  The gentleman will bring the vehicle to the port and we will be off to explore. I have used Turo before and have not experienced any problems.  I believe it is $200 for the day with insurance. We are splitting with another couple so its pretty cheap. I debated a seaplane trip out to the glaciers but I just can't push the button on $1200 for 2 people for 45 minutes. I've read that you can get it cheaper once there but for now we will explore on our own and hopefully see things that others don't since we will be out on our own. 

• Like 1

I reserved a sedan from airport. It's around $80 for the day, but adding the taxi cost back and forth (and time), renting from the dock side is apparently a more efficient option (I don't have another party to share the cost with). But I don't want the risk and hassle with Turo. Personal preference i guess. 

9 hours ago, Richardgoogle said:

I reserved a sedan from airport. It's around $80 for the day, but adding the taxi cost back and forth (and time), renting from the dock side is apparently a more efficient option (I don't have another party to share the cost with). But I don't want the risk and hassle with Turo. Personal preference i guess. 

Yes, I've never had an issue with Turo in Montana or Wyoming. It's convenience for me over price,  unless astronomical.  

On 4/10/2024 at 2:57 PM, dmwnc1959 said:

I'll be in Juneau twice next year (April 25th and May 1st) and the snow might still be fresh on the ground. 😉 Several shore excursions have already popped up, the one heading out to Mendenhall Glacier is $39 and gives 2hrs for self-exploration. Was thinking about booking that one just for the convenience. 

Is $39 for roundtrip?  Where do they drop you off?  What tour company is this?  Thanks

• Like 1

If anyone is interested, The Blue Bus through M & M tours is available to book again this season but the pricing has increased and it’s a reserved seat with 2hrs at Mendhall.  Booked it because we cruise soon and shore tours through cruise line and elsewhere sold out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, kayehall said:

Is $39 for roundtrip?  Where do they drop you off?  What tour company is this?  Thanks

This is from the NCL Shore Excursions lists. Right now I'm only seeing it on the April 28, 2025 southbound from Whittier, but it should also be available on the April 3rd cruise eventually. 

The $39 tour price is what the 1st passenger will pay once the shore excursion discount is applied. If there is a second passenger they will pay the full price of $89. If you're traveling solo of course you pay the $39 price. The tour will depart from the ship once all of the tour participants have been gathered at a central point, most likely in the main theater. It'll also return back to ship. You'll be with the tour operator bus the entire time out to Midenhall Glacier and back. I've included a screenshot of the tour description below. 

Keep in mind that there's a 100% chance that Norwegian Jade will be docking at the AJ Dock furthest from town, which is about a 20 minute walk. I'm not sure if the tour operator will allow participants to be dropped off downtown before returning to the ship, but it will be worth asking. 

IMG_1452.jpeg

IMG_1451.jpeg

Edited by dmwnc1959

Thanks for responding.  I am on Celebrity.  A tour company in Juneau is offering for $80pp.  Don't know if a bus ride is worth $160 for 2 people.  It also includes the park entry fee but I am a National Park pass holder so entry is complimentary for us.  I will keep looking.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2024 at 5:07 PM, jeromep said:

I'd add to your questions, this year I'd like to just rent a car and navigate around on my own.  Where can I rent a car that is within a short walking distance from the dock (that Majestic Princess will likely be at)?

Here is the cruise ship schedule so you can see exactly where you'll be docked.  It looks like the Majestic typically docks at the Alaska Steam Dock, but you can check your specific date.  

https://claalaska.com/?page_id=1551

Several years ago we rented a car in Juneau from Avis.  They have a seasonal office that is under a mile from the cruise docks (see Google maps for specifics).  We were happy with the car, the price, and the walk to pick it up was fine.  The only caveat I'd offer for this year is demand seems to be very high for Alaska cruises and as such, prices for everything seems to be at a premium.  I wouldn't wait long to investigate a car rental or any other excursion choices 🙂 

“This is from the NCL Shore Excursions lists. Right now I'm only seeing it on the April 28, 2025 southbound from Whittier, but it should also be available on the April 3rd cruise eventually.”

April 3 is out of season.  I don’t think the buses start up until late April.

2 hours ago, kayehall said:

Thanks for responding.  I am on Celebrity.  A tour company in Juneau is offering for $80pp.  Don't know if a bus ride is worth $160 for 2 people.  It also includes the park entry fee but I am a National Park pass holder so entry is complimentary for us.  I will keep looking.

IMO - no.

On 4/10/2024 at 12:44 PM, dmwnc1959 said:

Comparisons between a picture on cruise lines advertisement for shore excursions and the new one (cropped to better show the same area). 

IMG_1035.jpeg

IMG_1036.jpeg

Shamefully photoshopped 😔  

3 minutes ago, agkinmd said:

No. Not photoshopped. They're just using an image from roughly 10 years ago. Compare those two to what's in Post #6 and you'll see a drastic retreat of the glacier that has occurred in the past 20 years. 

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

No. Not photoshopped. They're just using an image from roughly 10 years ago. Compare those two to what's in Post #6 and you'll see a drastic retreat of the glacier that has occurred in the past 20 years. 

They do that with a glacier in Norway also. They use a 20 year old image also.

It really is sad how much this glacier has retreated. I am glad I first went in 2002. It makes me so sad that past few times I have been.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, agkinmd said:

Nope. 

If one goes to Exit glacier in Seward - they have signs marking where the glacier was at specific years. It definitely is drastic where the signs are and where the glacier is now.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Coral said:

They do that with a glacier in Norway also. They use a 20 year old image also.

It really is sad how much this glacier has retreated. I am glad I first went in 2002. It makes me so sad that past few times I have been.

Despite these images, I'll make the trek out there next May when the ship pulls into Juneau. I'll be there a week prior too on the northbound segment, but have a few other things planned.

It's been over 20 years since I last visited, and this is sort of a final bucket list item going back to Alaska again. This will be the last time. 

• Like 2