Apple iPads on board

Mike981

My Travel kit is normally my iPhone, iPad Air, MacBook Air and sometimes my Android tablet. I just traded my iPad Air in on a 10th generation iPad.  Between the pencil and the Keyboard I bought to go with the iPad, I am thinking my MacBook Air stays home on our next trip.  I'll know more after I use it instead of my MacBook Air for the next week to ensure I can get everything I need done with just the iPad. 

We've heard that the way the Apple products on the ships work is that once they stock a product, they do not restock until it has sold out.  That is why you find older versions of products on some ships and not others.  After restart there were a lot of older stock still on-hand and had to be sold off before they ordered new products.  

47 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

My Travel kit is normally my iPhone, iPad Air, MacBook Air and sometimes my Android tablet. I just traded my iPad Air in on a 10th generation iPad.  Between the pencil and the Keyboard I bought to go with the iPad, I a

My travel kit is an iPhone Pro Max, 11 inch iPad Pro and Kobo ereader. I have the good magic keyboard and pencil. Since I am retired I don’t need a laptop. YMMV. I could actually probably just travel with the iPhone as with the 6.7 inch screen as I can watch movies and read books on it. 

• Like 1

On 4/10/2024 at 5:02 PM, Charles4515 said:

I am on my laptop now (MacBook Air) but usually I am on an  iPad Pro. There are many things I prefer to do though on my laptop. Like my taxes with Turbotax. My brokerage accounts. 

I do mine with a Bluetooth keyboard connected to my iPad.  I haven’t used my PC in so long, I think it’s Windows 7.

7 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

I do mine with a Bluetooth keyboard connected to my iPad.  I haven’t used my PC in so long, I think it’s Windows 7.

I guess I am a bit of an over achiever.  As a result of my last career I have two desktops, three laptops, and two tablets, plus an active iPhone 15 Pro Max.  I also have a couple of older iPhones laying around somewhere in addition to some old cellphones. 

One desk top is linux based, the other Widows.  One laptop is linux, one is Windows, and one is a MacBook Air.  I have an iPad and a Lenova Leafpad for tablets.   Believe it or not, everyone of these is touched almost daily.  I am having a hard time getting rid of any of them. 

15 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I guess I am a bit of an over achiever.  As a result of my last career I have two desktops, three laptops, and two tablets, plus an active iPhone 15 Pro Max.  I also have a couple of older iPhones laying around somewhere in addition to some old cellphones. 

One desk top is linux based, the other Widows.  One laptop is linux, one is Windows, and one is a MacBook Air.  I have an iPad and a Lenova Leafpad for tablets.   Believe it or not, everyone of these is touched almost daily.  I am having a hard time getting rid of any of them. 

I spent close to 40 years in IT, when I retired 12 years ago, I pretty much just chucked it all. Bought a cheap laptop for email and games, which morphed into an iPad. And occasionally I buy a new iPhone.

• Like 2

On 4/11/2024 at 12:31 PM, CruisersTimesThree said:

Was on the Silhouette in Feb all set to buy an iPad with my OBC. Unfortunately they had none in stock  on my sailing and I was disappointed. It’s not like a normal Apple Store. 

Just off the Silhouette Last Thursday and the "apple" selection was dismal.  Disappointed to see how such little effort is put into the Celebrity iLounge now. A few not apple accessories were for sale. Even on Edge last year I felt lucky to get one of the final remaining current model ipad minis available.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

2 hours ago, Mark_K said:

I spent close to 40 years in IT, when I retired 12 years ago, I pretty much just chucked it all. Bought a cheap laptop for email and games, which morphed into an iPad. And occasionally I buy a new iPhone.

Buy a new iPhone 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I haven’t bought a new iPhone in 10 years 

I just wait until one of the kids upgrade 

I was told iPhone 13 was coming in the mail any-day now 😁

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I just wait until one of the kids upgrade 

It use to be the opposite around here.  I have no idea how many of my previous devices ended up in our daughter or one of our grandkids hands.  

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

It use to be the opposite around here.  I have no idea how many of my previous devices ended up in our daughter or one of our grandkids hands.  

Been there 
None of  the grandkids want a  3 -4 year old  phone now  😉

4 are in their 20’s, 2 late teens , 2 are under 4 

me , I don’t care as long as it still take the lates up grade 🤣

Edited by Ex-Airbalancer

@Ex-Airbalancer Yes, the same here.  I just trade in the old ones when I get a new one. 
I do have to old iPhone that I did not do that with for various reasons.  I am just going to throw them away on my next trip to the dump (I have 30-lbs of old electronics boxed and ready to go). 

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

@Ex-Airbalancer Yes, the same here.  I just trade in the old ones when I get a new one. 
I do have to old iPhone that I did not do that with for various reasons.  I am just going to throw them away on my next trip to the dump (I have 30-lbs of old electronics boxed and ready to go). 

If you are near an Apple Store the were taking old electronics to recycle. Two years ago before my big move to Texas I took a bunch of boxes to the Apple Store in Bethesda. They took everything, did not have to be Apple products. 

Edited by Charles4515

Hello,

We bought an iPad onboard our recent B2B2B cruises, but selection was limited to the two they had in stock one day and the only one left the next day. We cruised New Zealand and Australia. The staff person wasn't sure when they'd be getting more in stock as things were very difficult to get with ship being based down under/so far from their supplier. There were only two lap tops in stock and a few watches. The iPad we bought was a 9th generation and reasonable price compared to home. If you want to use your your onboard credit as we did, we went to the iLounge immediately upon boarding the cruise and had them put one on hold until they were actually able to sell it once the ship was far enough out to sea. 

Dianne

Just off the Millennium, they had Ipad 9’s 256 in stock. $475. I had checked Best Buy and Target before going so price wise they were pretty similar. Not enough of a savings onboard to make worth it, to me. The best part of having the Apple reseller onboard is the help from staff. During the course of the cruise in Japan my iPad, Apple Watch and iPhone all stopped playing well together, the nice gentleman worked it all out for me.

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

Maybe you can take the old phones to a women’s shelter ? 

On 4/12/2024 at 8:46 AM, DaKahuna said:

We've heard that the way the Apple products on the ships work is that once they stock a product, they do not restock until it has sold out.  That is why you find older versions of products on some ships and not others.  After restart there were a lot of older stock still on-hand and had to be sold off before they ordered new products.  

That was not the case on the Beyond.  They displayed two models of MacBooks.  The difference between them was that one had the previous year's chip and the other had the newest chip.  There was a difference in price which was similar to that in the Apple Store back home.    There were 4 of each model on display in the case.  

On 4/11/2024 at 5:53 PM, Arizona Wildcat said:

You will unfortunately not know what is being offered until after you board.  From our past experience likely to have at least one generation old on board.  Would plan on using OBC elsewhere. 

I have a 2017 IPad.  Was going to ask for a current one for Christmas but when I compared mine to current model the upgrades simply weren’t worth it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Oville said:

I have a 2017 IPad.  Was going to ask for a current one for Christmas but when I compared mine to current model the upgrades simply weren’t worth it.

I think the only time it is worth it to upgrade is once your device no longer is able to upgrade to the new operating system 

• Like 3

On 4/12/2024 at 11:37 AM, FRMPEI said:

Just off the Silhouette Last Thursday and the "apple" selection was dismal.  Disappointed to see how such little effort is put into the Celebrity iLounge now. A few not apple accessories were for sale. Even on Edge last year I felt lucky to get one of the final remaining current model ipad minis available.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Dismal?! I wonder why that is?

2 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I think the only time it is worth it to upgrade is once your device no longer is able to upgrade to the new operating system 

That is where I am with my iPhone 7s, I just read last week that Apple has moved iPhone 6 behind the barn to shoot it and there will be no more support.

3 hours ago, Mike981 said:

That is where I am with my iPhone 7s, I just read last week that Apple has moved iPhone 6 behind the barn to shoot it and there will be no more support.

My Pro Max 11 is still humming along.  I think my daughter has bought 2 new iPhones since I got this one.  She likes the smaller one and her batteries keep dying on her.  Mine will hold a charge for two or three days if I don't use it a lot.  The only thing I would like about the newest version is the upgraded camera, but I'll wait until this one dies because it was very expensive.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

If you are near an Apple Store the were taking old electronics to recycle. Two years ago before my big move to Texas I took a bunch of boxes to the Apple Store in Bethesda. They took everything, did not have to be Apple products. 

Thanks.  I will check with them. The one in Reston is the most convenient one for me.   I do not have any Apple products to recycle at this time.  Just traded in my iPad Air (Gen 3) for my iPad Gen 10. 

In my first round of cleaning out closet and storage bins of old, unused, unwanted electronics, I dropped a bunch off at a BestBuy's recycle bin.  I had to call three local stores before I found one that was still accepting electronics for recycling. 

8 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Maybe you can take the old phones to a women’s shelter ? 

Thank you for that idea.  That had not come to mind.  I will check it out. 

• Like 1