Moderno Churrascaria: For Cavemen Only?

Bream

We are headed to Bermuda on Norwegian Gem next month. We've never been to a Brazilian Steakhouse and thought we would use our included dinner vouchers on Moderno. We like meat, that's why we wanted to try Moderno. However, we don't like very fatty meat and especially don't want undercooked meat. Is there any way a diner can specify how they want their meat cooked? Or will we have to channel our inner caveman?

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Bream said:

We are headed to Bermuda on Norwegian Gem next month. We've never been to a Brazilian Steakhouse and thought we would use our included dinner vouchers on Moderno. We like meat, that's why we wanted to try Moderno. However, we don't like very fatty meat and especially don't want undercooked meat. Is there any way a diner can specify how they want their meat cooked? Or will we have to channel our inner caveman?

They bring it to your table and carve it there.  There really is no way for them to bring you only rare (if that's your preference).  You'll see them carve it table side.  

What you're asking for is more along the lines of going to Cagney's and telling them how you want your meat cooked.  They don't do that at Brazilian restaurants (at least none that I've ever been to).

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

We enjoyed the Moderno on the Pearl during our cruise to Bermuda last June.  The servers brought various cuts of meat to the table.  If I recall, you could request something more or less cooked, but would need to wait for it.  I prefer rare, hubby more cooked and I remember us both leaving happy and full.  There is also an amazing salad bar to enjoy.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bream said:

We've never been to a Brazilian Steakhouse and thought we would use our included dinner vouchers on Moderno. 

We’ve eaten at churrascarias on land and several times at Moderno on different NCL ships. We’ve decided NCL just can’t pull this off, at least on the Jewel-class ships. (Poor quality meat, often cold, etc.)  If you want to try a churrascaria for the first time, I wouldn’t do it on a ship.  Hopefully you can find a Fogo de Chao or another churrascaria somewhere where you live. 

If you want meat, especially cooked a certain way, I suggest Cagney’s.  

Enjoy your cruise. 

• Like 3

We enjoyed Moderno on Getaway back on our New Year's 2022/23 cruise. Who knows the quality you'll get on Gem compared to my visit. 

I prefer medium rare meat. My husband, medium. We let our server know and got what we wanted. @graphicguy, we've always been able to let our server know at Texas de Brazil and Moderno what temperature of meat to bring.

The cuts were typical Brazilian churrascaria cuts - not the leanest thing ever and it was spiced well. I suppose a wee bit on the salty side if you dislike salt. I love sodium, so it wasn't an issue for me! 

I missed the potatoes au gratin like Texas de Brazil serves and we did let our server know not to bring any of the sides as we didn't want to fill up on those. Except the cheeeeeeeese bread! Yum! The salad bar was very good - sushi, salads, shrimp sald, and more. Given NCL's cuts since that cruise, the salad bar may not be quite up to par anymore. I'd be interested in someone's take that has been there in the last three to four months. 

Someday we'll get to Fogo de Chao - it's just not in our area. Also, a cautious note on Cagney's. Some people love it. Some hate it. I'm in the hate it camp. Been there once. Never again! The steak was miserable, not cooked properly and the sides were no good, too. Be careful with that place. At least with Moderno, you get various cuts of meat and if one isn't good, you can just ask for another. 

24 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

We’ve eaten at churrascarias on land and several times at Moderno on different NCL ships. We’ve decided NCL just can’t pull this off, at least on the Jewel-class ships. (Poor quality meat, often cold, etc.)  If you want to try a churrascaria for the first time, I wouldn’t do it on a ship.  Hopefully you can find a Fogo de Chao or another churrascaria somewhere where you live. 

If you want meat, especially cooked a certain way, I suggest Cagney’s.  

Enjoy your cruise. 

Not my experience at all. Always high quality meat, proper temperature, and well seasoned.  Definitely try it on the ship. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bream said:

Most of the meats are served medium-rare. If you want it cooked more, just as the server. 

Someone mentioned Fogo,,, my problem with them is that you are bombarded with upsell offers. Kinda takes away from the atmosphere. When someone comes to the table... the question becomes "does it cost more... yes?... go away". 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bream said:

You can request exactly what you want how you want it cooked and you will get it.

Moderno has been hit or miss for us.  A few times it was fabulous.  Twice the meat was far too overcooked.  We complained and got another meal there.  The second time was much better.  They are often very slow in bringing the meat around, and the cheaper cuts come far more quickly.  The chicken and sausage came around several times before we requested the beef and lamb,  

That being said, the salad bar is phenomenal and the roasted pineapple is to die for.  I often travel with a friend that doesn’t eat meat.  Moderno is her favorite because of the salad bar and the pineapple.  Two more pro tips. Twice we worked it in advance and they brought her a piece of salmon from Cagneys instead of the meat.  Second, if you opt for Cagneys (personally I love Cagneys), it shares a kitchen with Moderno.  You can ask your server for a slice of pineapple for dessert and they’ll happily bring it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Russiamomm said:

Moderno has been hit or miss for us.  A few times it was fabulous.  Twice the meat was far too overcooked.  We complained and got another meal there.  The second time was much better.  They are often very slow in bringing the meat around, and the cheaper cuts come far more quickly.  The chicken and sausage came around several times before we requested the beef and lamb,  

That being said, the salad bar is phenomenal and the roasted pineapple is to die for.  I often travel with a friend that doesn’t eat meat.  Moderno is her favorite because of the salad bar and the pineapple.  Two more pro tips. Twice we worked it in advance and they brought her a piece of salmon from Cagneys instead of the meat.  Second, if you opt for Cagneys (personally I love Cagneys), it shares a kitchen with Moderno.  You can ask your server for a slice of pineapple for dessert and they’ll happily bring it.

No need to "complain" at all.  SImply tell your server what type of meat you wnat and hwo you wnat it cooked.  He will bring it.  That pineapple rocks!

1 hour ago, MoCruiseFan said:

You can request exactly what you want how you want it cooked and you will get it.

👍 👍 Certainly that way on recent cruises on the Norwegian Jade. Go hungry. Enjoy…

5 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

No need to "complain" at all.  SImply tell your server what type of meat you wnat and hwo you wnat it cooked.  He will bring it.  That pineapple rocks!

I agree.  We did mention it to the server several times, but the meat still came out well done.  This was on the Gem.  The manager came over and gave us a voucher to try it again on another night.  The second night was perfect.  It must have just been an “off” night for them.

All i can say is good luck. Found meat to be tough. Cagneys much better. Salad bar just ok. Fyi tell the waiter what you want they try and give you sausage and chicken to fill up before better cuts. Its a hit or miss. Speak up and enjoy

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Most of the meats are served medium-rare. If you want it cooked more, just as the server. 

Someone mentioned Fogo,,, my problem with them is that you are bombarded with upsell offers. Kinda takes away from the atmosphere. When someone comes to the table... the question becomes "does it cost more... yes?... go away". 

What kind of upsell offers at Fogo? I haven’t been there in a few years but I don’t remember ever being bombarded with upsell offers. 

If you are used to the quality of food at Fogo, do not expect the same at Moderno. The cheese bread is just as good but Fogo’s meats are much better. 

2 hours ago, Grandmafreddie said:

All i can say is good luck. Found meat to be tough. Cagneys much better. Salad bar just ok. Fyi tell the waiter what you want they try TO give you sausage and chicken to fill up before better cuts. Its a hit or miss. Speak up and enjoy

They don't try to give you anything.  They bring out what they have ready.  Just let them know what you want and it will be there shortly.  If you want a particular meat cooked to a specific degree of doneness, simply ask.  I like my steak medium rare (I guess according to the OP that makes me a caveman, LOL), and when I ask for it that way that is exactly what I get.

BTW I fixed your post in my quote!

• Like 1

I've done the Moderno on the Jade, Escape and the Pride of America. Each time, I've asked for it to be medium rare and they've always brought me a skewer that had meat cooked to that degree. If I thought the meat on the skewer looked overcooked, I said so ("Oh, this is well done. I'll wait until you have a medium rare one to bring me. Thank you.")

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Candy Apple 12 said:

What kind of upsell offers at Fogo? I haven’t been there in a few years but I don’t remember ever being bombarded with upsell offers. 

If you are used to the quality of food at Fogo, do not expect the same at Moderno. The cheese bread is just as good but Fogo’s meats are much better. 

I agree with all of this - been a while but I don't recall upsell at Fogo.  I agree with Bird that it would annoying to deal with.  

And definitely agree on the quality.  The national chains are much, much better than Moderno.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On my December 2023 Jade sailing, when the servers came around they informed us of how the meat was cooked, and we were told that other servers would be circulating with meat cooked to our preference.

We are currently on the Epic. Ate in Moderno last night. The salad bar was fresh and extensive. After being served a variety of meats of various doneness, We were asked several times if we wanted any particular cuts brought to us, and they appeared quickly. Highly recommended.

seachelt

• Like 2

Usually, they're bringing out a large slab of meat and there are parts that are rarer/more well done than others.  As for fattiness, that's largely dependent on cut.  

It's been a long time since I've been in Moderno because my recent cruises have been on Breakaway Plus ships.  I must say, it's the one thing I most miss.  I will advise you to try the grilled pineapple.  I'm a big time carnivore but it was my favorite part of the meal.  They don't seem to offer it in most land-based Brazilian restaurants I've been to.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

This has been my experience as well. I prefer Med-Well to Well and if it is ever too red for me, I mention it and they bring me a special plate of meat that is more cooked to my liking.

Sometimes there is a little wait, but other times the server just brings a well done slice or two when they come to the table with the skewer.

In my opinion, it is not always amazing on board and is our least favourite of the Specialties, but it's nice to do as a treat. You also have a great salad bar and roasted pineapple.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Russiamomm said:

awesome tip about Cagneys and the pineapple.  I'll have to keep this in mind.  Pineapple and 7 layer chocolate cake.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

to the OP, I would not recommend going to Fogo De Chao first.  It's going to ruin your expectations and moderno will seem like a let down 🙂  Have moderno, enjoy it, then go to Fogo if you get a chance.  that way, you're trending up 🙂

the one thing I do miss from Moderno is the lamb chops.  They do still serve lamb, but not chops.  And my very first cruise, on the Sun back in 2012, they had ceviche at the salad bar.  I haven't seen civiche since that first time

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Moderno has gone downhill during 2023. 

The salad bar (with sushi) is still great, but the meat is now of poor quality, poorly cooked, with long gaps where they don't circulate with any meat at all. 

On the smaller ships (we were on the Spirit, Star, Jade and Jewel in 2023) we're not going to go there anymore (unless we feel like having a good salad), we gave it many chances to do better.  We go to Cagneys again instead.

On one of those ships in 2023, the Moderno cook literally didn't know what he was cooking.  He'd send the servers out with "lamb" when it was beef, and so on.  Several times.  It because a joke when we had to keep correcting the names of what they were offering. We finished by asking for the fried "banana" which was delicious as always. 🙂

Edited by Rob_H
  • Haha 1