Izumi - dinner question

Sailing on the Allure soon and have a question. I can find the menu online but I pre paid for a dinner there and am confused. Can we order any of the combos - there are several different price points? Also, could we order a Sushi roll and is that extra or included? And gratuity was charged at the time but will probably leave extra. What is a "normal" tip? Thanks for any tips! 

In August on the Allure, you could either pre-pay and get items from each category on the menu, or you could go ala carte and order whatever you wanted from the menu.  We chose ala carte and it worked out fine. I tipped what I always tip for good service - 20%.

The standard meal in Izumi is one small plate, order 2 from the large plate list and one dessert for the pre set price.  Or you can order ala carte and pay for each item.  Or order the pre fixe and add something else for an additional charge.  We’ve even ordered one pre fixe meal and shared it when we weren’t very hungry.  We added something to it and it was plenty especially for lunch. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

The standard meal in Izumi is one small plate, order 2 from the large plate list and one dessert for the pre set price.  Or you can order ala carte and pay for each item.  Or order the pre fixe and add something else for an additional charge.  We’ve even ordered one pre fixe meal and shared it when we weren’t very hungry.  We added something to it and it was plenty especially for lunch. 

This ... the set price is for one labelled smaller, 2 large and a dessert.

Dinner is not the same as ala carte menu. 2 different choices. Set dinner they bring the endame beans salted and the one soup choice is free. I prefer the wonton a small choice. Many of the large choices are a LOT of food. I never can finish. You can ask for hot tea too included.

• Like 2

On 4/12/2024 at 6:04 PM, firefly333 said:

This ... the set price is for one labelled smaller, 2 large and a dessert.

Dinner is not the same as ala carte menu. 2 different choices. Set dinner they bring the endame beans salted and the one soup choice is free. I prefer the wonton a small choice. Many of the large choices are a LOT of food. I never can finish. You can ask for hot tea too included.

Yes, the hot tea is included!

Re:  Tipping.  Do the prepaid gratuities not include the specialty restaurants?  Does their staff not partake in the auto grats?

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Biker19 said:

All paid venues add 18% grats to the bill. 

Meaning that if you paid $300 plus tax and grats, grats added in are $54. Divide that by, say, 7 dinners and 3 lunches, and that equals $5.40 per meal, which is divided by that restaurant matre d, waiter staff. Up to you, but we always tip extra. Waiter gets to keep cash tips.

Edited by Sianli
  • Like 1

We were on the Icon of the Seas in March.  They charged us an addition $15 pp for dining a Izumi.  Never happened on any other Oasis class ship.  To make matters worse- I must have gotten food poisoning as a few hours after we left- I got sick.  I will remove Izumi from my list of specialty restaurants to dine in.  I ate a combo- steak and seafood- my DH was ok- he only at steak.

2 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

We were on the Icon of the Seas in March.  They charged us an addition $15 pp for dining a Izumi.  Never happened on any other Oasis class ship.  To make matters worse- I must have gotten food poisoning as a few hours after we left- I got sick.  I will remove Izumi from my list of specialty restaurants to dine in.  I ate a combo- steak and seafood- my DH was ok- he only at steak.

They charged you extra for the sushi side or for the hibachi/teppanyaki ?

I am also a little confused on the pricing - specifically for Hibachi.  On the app (and website) the price to reserve the Izumi Hibachi Experience is $54.99, but when I look at the sample menu provided, the prices are $45.99 for Classic and $49.99 for Premier. There is no price listed for the starter (the menu states complimentary) or the dessert.  My assumption is that dessert is also included - would that be correct?

Does that mean that it is cheaper to just take my chances and reserve while on board - and the extra $9 is for the reservation?   

13 minutes ago, dvan68 said:

I am also a little confused on the pricing - specifically for Hibachi.  On the app (and website) the price to reserve the Izumi Hibachi Experience is $54.99, but when I look at the sample menu provided, the prices are $45.99 for Classic and $49.99 for Premier. There is no price listed for the starter (the menu states complimentary) or the dessert.  My assumption is that dessert is also included - would that be correct?

Does that mean that it is cheaper to just take my chances and reserve while on board - and the extra $9 is for the reservation?   

Izumi hibachi for dinner full priced on my ships is 59.99. This is what they would charge me onboard. I can book direct 15% off before I board right now. I've never seen it cheaper onboard unless someone discounts it for you. 

20240416_104156448.jpeg

On 4/17/2024 at 2:11 AM, Biker19 said:

Pricing is dynamic. 

Does anyone else think that this is odd for restaurant pricing?  I would understand using the dynamic feature for offering discounts, but the base price should remain the same.  How are they justifying food cost against demand?  

Sorry, this is my first time on RCCL, and the pressure to pre book everything is real!  I'm sure I will appreciate it once on board, then we will have nothing left to pay for.

1 minute ago, dvan68 said:

Does anyone else think that this is odd for restaurant pricing?  I would understand using the dynamic feature for offering discounts, but the base price should remain the same.  How are they justifying food cost against demand?  

Sorry, this is my first time on RCCL, and the pressure to pre book everything is real!  I'm sure I will appreciate it once on board, then we will have nothing left to pay for.

The base price does remain the same. Or go up every few months.

The pricing BEFORE the cruise is what he means is dynamic. Not onboard. Not unless you can talk them into a deal onboard, unpublished.

3 hours ago, dvan68 said:

I would understand using the dynamic feature for offering discounts, but the base price should remain the same. 

The price on board may stay stable for a while (though varies by ship) but the planner prices don’t always start with that as the base price. All of it is marketing to suck you in. Don’t fall for it- book when you see value and cancel and rebook if prices drop further.