Sun Deck: Lost opportunity?

Toronto Guy

Does anybody else think the Sun Deck would be really great if they just added some more comfortable outdoor furniture up there and made it more welcoming?  It seems to be such a wasted space.  Would be nice to have an outdoor place away from the pool area that is more of a sanctuary type area like the Princess ships have - nothing that elaborate is needed, but it could easily be done.  Heck throw some cabanas up there even and they could get more revenue to pay for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Once again you're trying to remake Azamara into Celebrity.  Please no.

No I'm not, and I don't have the power to do that unless you know something I don't.  There are things I like and dislike about both lines. I think it's just an underutilized space that could actually be used much better than it currently is.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Once again you're trying to remake Azamara into Celebrity.  Please no.

Honestly, to some degree we had a feeling that Azamara may be slowing remaking itself to Celebrity based on our 26 days on Quest just completed a week or so ago.

$50 Specialty restaurants.  $125 Chef's table.

The EXPO we have always enjoyed on longer sailings replaced by the "Quest Fair" (an old Celebrity tactic) that is nothing more than revenue generating departments (Shore Ex, Booze packages, Specialty dining) setting up tables in the LR selling their wares.  No engineering department highlighting equipment, no security staff discussing procedures, no deck department, no HR, etc., etc.  A major fail and virtually no attendance, unlike the events held in the Cabaret, which are typically very well attended.

A bit too much Woo-woo for our tastes, frankly.  There were times we really did feel like we were back on Celebrity with things like Liar's Club.

No shuttles in any of the ports (admittedly, not needed in some) including Tenerife, where there has always been a shuttle since the very edge of the city is a 25 minute walk and center city is 35-40 minute walk, some of it uphill. 

The whole thing just had a different feel to us, including comparing to 36 days on Pursuit only a couple of months before.

Lots and lots of first-timers on these 2 sailings so perhaps it wasn't as noticeable to them as it was to us. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I’m ok with the sun deck as it is. There are lounger chairs and sofas and is a nice/different ambiance to the pool deck which on Quest suffers grunge Muzak during what should have been a relaxing sail through beautiful scenery yesterday. Deck 11 was a great escape 

• Like 6

Yeah I don't care about cabanas,  and I wouldn't be interested in renting one....but if they wanted to put some up there it would be the best spot for them.  These ships need to bring in more revenue obviously, so I wouldn't be upset if they did it. No skin off my nose.  Plenty of room for both better furniture and them as well.  Great views, not far from the bar below.  Would be a win-win for everyone.  I'm at least glad they don't have a putting green like Oceania as the forward facing views with the glass enclosure are great.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, uktog said:

I’m ok with the sun deck as it is. There are lounger chairs and sofas and is a nice/different ambiance to the pool deck which on Quest suffers grunge Muzak during what should have been a relaxing sail through beautiful scenery yesterday. Deck 11 was a great escape 

Do they have sofas up there?  I've never seen them on my sailings.

5 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Honestly, to some degree we had a feeling that Azamara may be slowing remaking itself to Celebrity based on our 26 days on Quest just completed a week or so ago.

$50 Specialty restaurants.  $125 Chef's table.

The EXPO we have always enjoyed on longer sailings replaced by the "Quest Fair" (an old Celebrity tactic) that is nothing more than revenue generating departments (Shore Ex, Booze packages, Specialty dining) setting up tables in the LR selling their wares.  No engineering department highlighting equipment, no security staff discussing procedures, no deck department, no HR, etc., etc.  A major fail and virtually no attendance, unlike the events held in the Cabaret, which are typically very well attended.

A bit too much Woo-woo for our tastes, frankly.  There were times we really did feel like we were back on Celebrity with things like Liar's Club.

No shuttles in any of the ports (admittedly, not needed in some) including Tenerife, where there has always been a shuttle since the very edge of the city is a 25 minute walk and center city is 35-40 minute walk, some of it uphill. 

The whole thing just had a different feel to us, including comparing to 36 days on Pursuit only a couple of months before.

Lots and lots of first-timers on these 2 sailings so perhaps it wasn't as noticeable to them as it was to us. 

I'm not familiar with EXPO, what is it?  I think there is a balance they can try to achieve - offering a few more activities and entertainment that appeal to a slightly younger crowd - without going full Celebrtiy.  Don't know how they possibly could do that with such smaller ships anyway.  The lack of entertainmet options drive me a little bit batty so there are definitely times that I'm bored to tears. But then I'm an extrovert and like current music.  I guess that's considered a bad thing by some on these boards, but I just can't listen to the same old cruise ship songs over and over.   I love the ships and the itineraries and the crew so I keep coming back. I don't think the food is necessarily any better than the other lines but that is probably just personal taste.  The lack of shuttles lately has definitely been annoying though.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

We love the sun deck exactly as it is. It’s a great place to sit in the sun with more space around you, with a breeze, especially on sea days. We love the peace and quiet and most definitely don’t want music!

I think I do remember this from either the Quest or the Journey now...just along the front next to the glass right?  I for sure didn't see on the Onward the last few times....the last time on Onward they had put in those two big oval covered daybed things on each side up there but I didn't see anything further along the deck.  That comfy style seating is all I'm talking about --- wish they had more of that up there.

Edited by Toronto Guy
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Toronto Guy said:

Does anybody else think the Sun Deck would be really great if they just added some more comfortable outdoor furniture up there and made it more welcoming?  It seems to be such a wasted space.  Would be nice to have an outdoor place away from the pool area that is more of a sanctuary type area like the Princess ships have - nothing that elaborate is needed, but it could easily be done.  Heck throw some cabanas up there even and they could get more revenue to pay for it.

Edited by Xcelsior

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Xcelsior said:

I have thought the same thing for a long time.  They could make that space much more inviting up there and that would free up even more space around the pool.  I'd rent a cabana up there if they had them available, but I also always purchase the pass for the Spa Deck which is my favourite place to get away from the main pool area.  Also love the Atlas Bar and really hope they put it on the other ships as well. 

Edited by Xcelsior

I really didn't realize others were so strongly attached to the way things are on board.  I was really just putting out an idea of what could be improved upon from my perspective, not trying to  take away things that others find enjoyable just the way they are. It's a good thing I don't make the decisions I guess!

• Like 1

Last year we had a discussion with an Assistant CD about background music around the pool area, was saying that if they play music they get a number of complaints but if they stop playing music they get an equal number of complaints that there’s no music. Classic case of you can’t please all the people all the time, personal preference is no music but don’t object to the occasional live music on sea days. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Riocca said:

Last year we had a discussion with an Assistant CD about background music around the pool area, was saying that if they play music they get a number of complaints but if they stop playing music they get an equal number of complaints that there’s no music. Classic case of you can’t please all the people all the time, personal preference is no music but don’t object to the occasional live music on sea days. 

Agree. 

We often find the loungers on the sun deck roped off and unavailable. I like the quiet, good views but find it aggravating that they don’t release the chairs.  

36 minutes ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

On the Onward, the smoking section use to be a place were I could get shade on the Pacific Princess. Is there shade on the sun deck?

No

4 hours ago, Whitby100 said:

We often find the loungers on the sun deck roped off and unavailable. I like the quiet, good views but find it aggravating that they don’t release the chairs.  

Have never seen that.  All I've ever seen is a bunch of loungers with nobody using them in the blazing hot sun.  Hence why I think better furnishings with options for shade etc. would be awesome.  I made the mistake of mentioning "cabanas" and everybody went nuts...so I won't say "cabanas" again.  If they were free however, the same people would be parked there all day I suspect.

• Like 1

Cabanas would likely have issues up there - everything has to be secured on Deck 11 whenever there is any breeze or when sailing in open seas. 

• Like 2