pride cruise

We hope to leave May 5th on the Pride. Will it be Norfolk or Baltimore. They are still selling this cruise from Baltimore. Any one else going on this cruise?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bumorgan said:

We hope to leave May 5th on the Pride. Will it be Norfolk or Baltimore. They are still selling this cruise from Baltimore. Any one else going on this cruise?

If the ship can dock in Baltimore, it'll be out of Baltimore. If not, it will be out of Norfolk.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, bumorgan said:

Just did a quick look on Carnivals website, the May 5 from Baltimore sailing seems is not showing up, not unusual for a sailing only 3 weeks out. However I'd think at this point the May 5 cruise would leave from Norfolk, but just a guess.

The USACE and the Unified response groups working on the salvage operations from the Key Bridge collapse are aiming to have the normal shipping channel re-opened by the end of May. Certainly not a set in stone date, but a timeline they are working towards. Could be sooner, could be later. We could only assume that means cruise ships will be able to return to the Baltimore cruise port. Seems Carnival should be aware of this and making it's decisions, but who knows.

If you are curious, can read about the salvage operations here.

https://www.nab.usace.army.mil/Media/News-Releases/Article/3731790/us-army-corps-of-engineers-develops-tentative-timeline-to-reopen-fort-mchenry-c/

Edited by bar1068
words missing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, bar1068 said:

Just did a quick look on Carnivals website, the May 5 from Baltimore sailing seems is not showing up, not unusual for a sailing only 3 weeks out. However I'd think at this point the May 5 cruise would leave from Norfolk, but just a guess.

The USACE and the Unified response groups working on the salvage operations from the Key Bridge collapse are aiming to have the normal shipping channel re-opened by the end of May. Certainly not a set in stone date, but a timeline they are working towards. Could be sooner, could be later. We could only assume that means cruise ships will be able to return to the Baltimore cruise port. Seems Carnival should be aware of this and making it's decisions, but who knows.

https://www.nab.usace.army.mil/Media/News-Releases/Article/3731790/us-army-corps-of-engineers-develops-tentative-timeline-to-reopen-fort-mchenry-c/

from that link:

After detailed studies and engineering assessments by local, state and federal organizations, in collaboration with industry partners, USACE expects to open a limited access channel 280 feet wide and 35 feet deep, to the Port of Baltimore within the next four weeks – by the end of April. This channel would support one-way traffic in and out of the Port of Baltimore for barge container service and some roll on/roll off vessels that move automobiles and farm equipment to and from the port.

that channel would be large enough to support the Pride.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

from that link:

After detailed studies and engineering assessments by local, state and federal organizations, in collaboration with industry partners, USACE expects to open a limited access channel 280 feet wide and 35 feet deep, to the Port of Baltimore within the next four weeks – by the end of April. This channel would support one-way traffic in and out of the Port of Baltimore for barge container service and some roll on/roll off vessels that move automobiles and farm equipment to and from the port.

that channel would be large enough to support the Pride.

I think they're going to be prioritizing industrial uses for the limited access channel. They won't be allowing cruise ships through until the process is complete. That's my sense of that quote anyway.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I think they're going to be prioritizing industrial uses for the limited access channel. They won't be allowing cruise ships through until the process is complete. That's my sense of that quote anyway.

I was hoping that the article was just giving size of ship perimeters but it may be just tractors and cars for now.😬

34 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

I was hoping that the article was just giving size of ship perimeters but it may be just tractors and cars for now.😬

fwiw, i wouldn't take that one section as any kind of final decision. i'm still optimistic that our 5/5 sailing will leave from Baltimore.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

I don't know if any decisions have been made. Just saying that the way the article reads, they're only worried about getting industrial traffic going with this temporary channel which makes sense as that has national impact. Cruise traffic is less important on a national scale.

• Like 3

On 4/15/2024 at 9:33 AM, bar1068 said:

On 4/15/2024 at 5:42 PM, Redskinsfan92 said:

Odds favor Norfolk

they are saying end of April for the section 270 ide and 35 ft deep to open, end of May for the main channel , we will see if the General is right

• Like 1

There is another thread about this, but the cruise terminal itself is being used as a command center. Until the JIC, Coast Guard, and Navy clear out there will be no cruising from Baltimore.

I would suspect it will come down to when the Dali can be safely towed away from the scene.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, tidecat said:

There is another thread about this, but the cruise terminal itself is being used as a command center. Until the JIC, Coast Guard, and Navy clear out there will be no cruising from Baltimore.

I would suspect it will come down to when the Dali can be safely towed away from the scene.

Obviously Job #1 is to get industrial traffic flowing ASAP.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, tidecat said:

Agree, since Unified Command is located at the terminal.  But I have one thought, since the cruise lines know that the full channel's projected opening is late May and Unified Command will need to be in place until then, why not just make the move to Norfolk until mid to late May.  I would think it would provide a temporary stabilization of delivery logistics.  Unless the port has a plan to handle both Unified Command and cruise functions at the same time.    

11 hours ago, JMAE said:

Agree, since Unified Command is located at the terminal.  But I have one thought, since the cruise lines know that the full channel's projected opening is late May and Unified Command will need to be in place until then, why not just make the move to Norfolk until mid to late May.  I would think it would provide a temporary stabilization of delivery logistics.  Unless the port has a plan to handle both Unified Command and cruise functions at the same time.    

That probably is the plan behind the scenes but customer-facing they are not sharing all the information because anything could change.

Posted (edited)

The cruise leaving this weekend found out officially about a week prior.  There is a shuttle service from the port in Baltimore offered and that sign up happened on Tuesday.  

Edited by rxlowry
left out info
  • Like 2

News conference today at 1pm est. time will tell.  Looking at some photos of channel 3, it looks like they may have one more section to remove, at least above the water line.  Viewing the live feed, looks like they are working the channel 3 area.  

• Like 1

During the news conference today, it was reported that three bridge pieces need to be moved to open channel 3.  One is being moved today and the others in the next day or two.  

• Like 2

On the Unified Command web page, they updated the Response Progress Graphic which showed all in progress this morning and now shows the limited channels is clear on the surface and subsurface.  Also, on JH FB page he said be patient.  

image.thumb.png.d3ec3a6895ebc3421cf41d7eeb151f59.png

• Thanks 1