Taxes included in listed price

NCL now list the taxes/fees in the listed price on the website.  You can actually choose to see the prices with/without the taxes and fees, but at least for me, it was choses to show the taxes by default.  I think this is a very nice change

• Like 1

Yes it's VERY helpful.  However, at the risk of being labeled a cynic, I'd be willing to bet that some government, somewhere in this wide world, passed a law or invoked a regulation REQUIRING this information be easily available on a website.  MSC has had this info on it's website advertising for some time now. I just this moment priced a cruise on RCCL.com & VOILA!!!  Taxes, etc. also listed.  In VERY SMALL PRINT, but it's there.  NCL has merely bowed to the inevitable (or did what they HAD to do...).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tomk3212 said:

Yes it's VERY helpful.  However, at the risk of being labeled a cynic, I'd be willing to bet that some government, somewhere in this wide world, passed a law or invoked a regulation REQUIRING this information be easily available on a website.  MSC has had this info on it's website advertising for some time now. I just this moment priced a cruise on RCCL.com & VOILA!!!  Taxes, etc. also listed.  In VERY SMALL PRINT, but it's there.  NCL has merely bowed to the inevitable (or did what they HAD to do...).

could be, but NCL has always had the taxes and fees listed in small print under their cruises.  I do see that other lines have the taxes listed (just like NCL always did), but NCL is so far the only site I've seen that shows the all in (well without the service charge) pricing listed in the actual search results 

Seems it is a California law coming into effect from 1 July. I got an email from Carnival today to my travel agency explaining that this change would be coming. I live in NL and so I usually book things in Euros, so it has always been like this for me and I always hated trying to compare US prices because you never really know the true price until you get to the end of the booking process. I usually use booking.com to book hotels and last time I was using it in the US, I had to use a VPN just to be able to use the site, since it kept saying that hotels were 100 USD per night, but then you would click through and then discover that they added taxes and resort fees and other charges and it ended up around 200 USD per night. Made price comparison so difficult... 

• Like 1

On 4/16/2024 at 9:18 PM, tomk3212 said:

... some government, somewhere in this wide world, passed a law or invoked a regulation REQUIRING this information ...

California, of course   🙄  .

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, ChrysFox said:

California, of course   🙄  .

Why is it so bad that you actually get the final price you would need to pay right up fromt?

• Like 2

As far as I know, there has always been a tab to click that says " view price breakdown".  I too have seen inexpensive Hotel pricing that I though was great, until I saw the "price breakdown".

Then I move on and continue the search

We noticed this recently and like the full disclosure, it's fair & reasonable, without burying the important line-items in fine/small fonts and/or going thru 4, 5 or 6 screens - making comparison easier for the "consumer" and agents alike, without paying games. 

• Like 3

I like the change.  I would caution however though that in comparing prices of several cruises when I change the number of passengers, forcing you to select cabin type again, sometimes the taxes, port fees, etc. are no longer included.  If you go straight through with the default two passengers it seems to work fine for me, but when adding additional passengers it goes back to presenting a price that is not inclusive of those taxes/fees.

Just now, Ken the cruiser said:

I seem to be missing what this thread is suggesting. When I did a mock booking today on the NCL website, it still says "Excl. taxes, fees and port expenses, they will be added at checkout." after the Subtotal entry. Where should I be looking to see the taxes/fees?

image.thumb.png.a386a973cb63ff121a11708a1920224a.png

That's the result I get too. I was all sorts of excited. Then bummed when I did a mock booking to see I had to go through the entire booking funnel before seeing the price with taxes, fees, and port expenses. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I seem to be missing what this thread is suggesting. When I did a mock booking today on the NCL website, it still says "Excl. taxes, fees and port expenses, they will be added at checkout." after the Subtotal entry. Where should I be looking to see the taxes/fees?

image.thumb.png.a386a973cb63ff121a11708a1920224a.png

we're talking about when you do your initial cruise search:

image.thumb.png.52b5071afe2dc08d9931b2b49c75110c.png

• Thanks 1

On 4/16/2024 at 7:28 PM, dbrown84 said:

could be, but NCL has always had the taxes and fees listed in small print under their cruises.  I do see that other lines have the taxes listed (just like NCL always did), but NCL is so far the only site I've seen that shows the all in (well without the service charge) pricing listed in the actual search results 

Disney shows the all-in price, for two people in a cabin, including taxes and port fees. None of that "per person, double occupancy" scam stuff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tested it on a random sailing cuz their advertised pricing can sometimes be glitchy with more than two people. It seemed to work fine, except the desktop site still only shows a subtotal while mobile shows the real total. Screenshot_20240426_210254_Chrome.thumb.jpg.0b39a5beb17526feed88631b379d729b.jpgScreenshot_20240426_210231_Chrome.thumb.jpg.59c328739671cba1bdd0f9939d98a7e2.jpgScreenshot_20240426_210153_Chrome.thumb.jpg.027a0dd9ca8bfe649a0a8ad83437b1fa.jpg

8 minutes ago, fshagan said:

Disney shows the all-in price, for two people in a cabin, including taxes and port fees. None of that "per person, double occupancy" scam stuff.

I was just gonna say this too. As far as I know DCL has always shown the all-in price for a stateroom. But if you needed two rooms it shows only the price for the first. Kinda wish it added it up in advance. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mistertomatoe said:

I would love more transparency on what the port fees, taxes, etc. for each port are... it seems higher on NCL than other lines. This change seems like a good way to hide this if in fact NCL's are higher. Oh and "expenses" sounds so sketchy.

Although I only care what the bottom line is, our TA always sends an invoice that breaks out everything. Well not port charges per port, only the total port charges.

Heads up for solo travelers. The per person total that is displayed when tax/fee is included for 1 passenger looks like it is calculated for double occupancy. That is, solo cabin price plus double tax/fees. I expect it's an error in the algorithm - they aren't really charging double fees.

Example May 1, Jade out of Orlando.

Per person, double occupancy: 279 for cabin per person. 467 per person with tax/fees. So, 188 per person tax/fees.

Per person, single occupancy: 429 for cabin per person. 807 per person with tax/fees. That's 378, about double the per person tax/fees from double occupancy.

Now that's a single supplement! Thankfully, not real.

Using same per person tax/fees as double occupancy, it would be 617.

You might want to do a mock booking, to be sure.