Princess Newbie- app issues, dining res & customer service

bandp407

Fellow Cruisers, 

We are seasoned cruisers , but our first with Princess in May & August on the Enchanted. I have had nothing but issues with the app attempting to book dining . Several here have noted they were able to book their dining prior to final payment. I was not able to do so. Even after final payment, the app has told me I have not made final payment!! This was for the August cruise. I tried signing out and it then says my info not recognized. I try a password reset & get they are having technical difficulties. I could get in by using my booking number & did our check-in. I am Ocean Ready!! Still can’t view my dining that their rep had to book. 

i have phoned Princess numerous times and end up overseas. The majority have had no clue & claim they will report it. . I finally got an agent at Ocean Ready to make the dinner reservations. Now I am unable to see them. This has been so frustrating for both bookings. I can honestly say that my experience with their app & customer service has left much to be desired. 

my other peeve is that even when booking well in advance, the system shows no cabins available- basically all are a “ guarantee” . It’s not my preferred way of booking- never take a guarantee. Is this how Princess operates? 

I would be most appreciative of any feedback you can provide. What am I doing wrong? Also, I am accustomed to having a dedicated desk at Celebrity, HAL , RCCL for special services. Does this exist at Princess? 

Many thanks! 

• Like 1

Welcome to MedallionClass cruising </sarc>

Not exactly sure what you mean by a "dedicated desk", but you might try calling Princess and ask, as a seasoned cruiser considering shifting allegiance, for your own personal CVP (cruise vacation planner). That person should be able to see (and assign) a specific room that might not be available to you if you are booking by yourself online. Before you call, perhaps do some room availability research by doing a mock booking in which you plug in "3" or "4" as the "number of guests". 

If you can't (or you've simply maxed out the time you're willing to try to) get the dining reservations you want, realize that you can simply show up at the ship and wander to one of the MDRs on your own schedule. You don't need reservations, you don't need the app. You might even find life more relaxing ignoring both.

Enjoy your cruise!

Walkingsoon

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It sounds like you are calling the call center. This is not what you want. Most feedback here is they are nearly useless.

You're looking to speak with an Ocean Navigator for your App concerns. 

If you decide Princess is for you. Then in the future, book through a Princess Cruise Vacation Planner (CVP), or a pro TA. That way, if issues come up, they.are your direct liason to the system.

For your dining, when aboard, call the Dine Line, a number you can get onboard.

You can select your own cabin by number, if available, and choose if you are willing to accept upgrade or not.  Unless that cabin catagory is near sold out.

I'm sure there are are things to learn for dealing with issues for any cruise line, for first timers. 

Edited by mtnesterz

10 hours ago, walkingsoon said:

Welcome to MedallionClass cruising </sarc>

Not exactly sure what you mean by a "dedicated desk", but you might try calling Princess and ask, as a seasoned cruiser considering shifting allegiance, for your own personal CVP (cruise vacation planner). That person should be able to see (and assign) a specific room that might not be available to you if you are booking by yourself online. Before you call, perhaps do some room availability research by doing a mock booking in which you plug in "3" or "4" as the "number of guests". 

If you can't (or you've simply maxed out the time you're willing to try to) get the dining reservations you want, realize that you can simply show up at the ship and wander to one of the MDRs on your own schedule. You don't need reservations, you don't need the app. You might even find life more relaxing ignoring both.

Enjoy your cruise!

Walkingsoon

Thank you for your welcoming and suggestions. As to the dedicated desk, it’s often the loyalty desk for the respective cruise lines. I’ve called and asked for the Ocean Ready line and have not had much better luck. I generally book with the big box agency, so establishing with a CVP won’t really work , unless I book and release. 

Thank you for the suggestion to do the mock booking. As I am sure you can understand it’s very frustrating not to be able to search for “Real” Availability. 

yes

3 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

It sounds like you are calling the call center. This is not what you want. Most feedback here is they are nearly useless.

You're looking to speak with an Ocean Navigator for your App concerns. 

If you decide Princess is for you. Then in the future, book through a Princess Cruise Vacation Planner (CVP), or a pro TA. That way, if issues come up, they.are your direct liason to the system.

For your dining, when aboard, call the Dine Line, a number you can get onboard.

You can select your own cabin by number, if available, and choose if you are willing to accept upgrade or not.  Unless that cabin catagory is near sold out.

I'm sure there are are things to learn for dealing with issues for any cruise line, for first timers. 

Thank you for your suggestions. Yes, I am aware dinner reservations are not necessary. We just find it easier to set in advance. 

perhaps booking directly with a CVP would eliminate these issues. On the other hand I would not receive my big box agency perk. 

You said they made dining reservations for you but you can’t see them.

I couldn’t find mine either until someone pointed out how to do it.

once you are on the app, click on the “Book Dining” tab underneath the number of days until embarkation. Then in the upper right hand corner there should be a calendar icon with a red heart. Click on that.  See if your reservations show.

I know lots of people report having problems with the app, but for us it has always worked fine. Guess we are lucky.

13 minutes ago, Alaska05 said:

You said they made dining reservations for you but you can’t see them.

I couldn’t find mine either until someone pointed out how to do it.

once you are on the app, click on the “Book Dining” tab underneath the number of days until embarkation. Then in the upper right hand corner there should be a calendar icon with a red heart. Click on that.  See if your reservations show.

I know lots of people report having problems with the app, but for us it has always worked fine. Guess we are lucky.

Thank you very much - it worked!!! Now, they just need to figure out why my account doesn’t show final payment on my end and I needed to call. I am done with this ! Thanks much for your help! 

@bandp407 if you booked a "Deluxe Balcony" apparently those are all Guarantee rooms for some reason. You said you booked through a big box agency - if you wanted a "non-Deluxe" stateroom, you should have been able to choose it. We were on Enchanted in February for a B2B - had booked a regular balcony initially the year before. When we decided to add the other leg last fall (due to cancellation of another cruise) the only available option was Deluxe Guaranteed (with a good fare) so we took it. Ended up for that leg with a Deluxe on Dolphin deck, with the bigger balcony! 

1 minute ago, WisCruiser2 said:

@bandp407 if you booked a "Deluxe Balcony" apparently those are all Guarantee rooms for some reason. You said you booked through a big box agency - if you wanted a "non-Deluxe" stateroom, you should have been able to choose it. We were on Enchanted in February for a B2B - had booked a regular balcony initially the year before. When we decided to add the other leg last fall (due to cancellation of another cruise) the only available option was Deluxe Guaranteed (with a good fare) so we took it. Ended up for that leg with a Deluxe on Dolphin deck, with the bigger balcony! 

I hear you , but their system is quite frustrating! 

4 hours ago, bandp407 said:

Thank you for your welcoming and suggestions. As to the dedicated desk, it’s often the loyalty desk for the respective cruise lines. I’ve called and asked for the Ocean Ready line and have not had much better luck. I generally book with the big box agency, so establishing with a CVP won’t really work , unless I book and release. 

Thank you for the suggestion to do the mock booking. As I am sure you can understand it’s very frustrating not to be able to search for “Real” Availability. 

yes

Loyalty desks are no longer Princess employees they are part of future cruise department which is outsourced. If you are on a Royal class ship best bet is concierge lounge. We always book through our CVP no issues

Prior to our Alaska cruise last year, I found some things easier to navigate by going to the Princess website and logging into my cruise account. The closer it got to the cruise, it seemed like more was available on the app, but I understand your frustration.  This was our first cruise in 25 years, first ever on Princess. Despite the hiccups, we had a great experience on the ship & app worked really well.  I’m ready to go again!

10 hours ago, TxChick51 said:

Prior to our Alaska cruise last year, I found some things easier to navigate by going to the Princess website and logging into my cruise account. The closer it got to the cruise, it seemed like more was available on the app, but I understand your frustration.  This was our first cruise in 25 years, first ever on Princess. Despite the hiccups, we had a great experience on the ship & app worked really well.  I’m ready to go again!

Despite all the issues we are looking forward to our upcoming cruises on Princess! Before even experiencing Princess , we booked a May & Aug on Enchanted & end January on the SUN. I am optimistic! 

Go ahead and book it!

I have had much better luck using the "web version" of the app that is in cruise personalizer on the Princess website. I have been able to do everything in there when nothing worked in the app. i don't plan to log into the app again until I get on the ship. I have attached a screen shot that shows how to get to the "web version" if you want to give it a try. I hope this helps!

webversion.jpg

5 hours ago, jean-lynd said:

I have had much better luck using the "web version" of the app that is in cruise personalizer on the Princess website. I have been able to do everything in there when nothing worked in the app. i don't plan to log into the app again until I get on the ship. I have attached a screen shot that shows how to get to the "web version" if you want to give it a try. I hope this helps!

webversion.jpg

Thank you very much for this! Yes, it works!! Please read below.

Well guess what - my perseverance paid off!! Apparently the “ tech” support that the agent reached out to corrected the problem. The app for both sailings is working! The web version that jean-lynd suggested is great too! 

HOWEVER - in reading the daily ship schedule I don’t see any LIVE MUSIC, PARTY BANDS, ETC… The only thing it shows is the DJ at 11:00pm. Is this possible?? All I ever heard is that there is lots of live music on the Princess ships, namely the Enchanted. I may create another post asking for input from those who have recently sailed on her. If this is correct, we will be canceling our Aug 3rd sailing. I have a short window to do so. 

many thanks in advance. 

9 minutes ago, bandp407 said:

Well guess what - my perseverance paid off!! Apparently the “ tech” support that the agent reached out to corrected the problem. The app for both sailings is working! The web version that jean-lynd suggested is great too! 

HOWEVER - in reading the daily ship schedule I don’t see any LIVE MUSIC, PARTY BANDS, ETC… The only thing it shows is the DJ at 11:00pm. Is this possible?? All I ever heard is that there is lots of live music on the Princess ships, namely the Enchanted. I may create another post asking for input from those who have recently sailed on her. If this is correct, we will be canceling our Aug 3rd sailing. I have a short window to do so. 

many thanks in advance. 

It will be awhile before they load all of the entertainment. In fact, some things may not show up until you are on board. I hope this helps!

A full entertainment schedule is only fully available when on board.  Music and entertainment is everywhere throughout the day.  Music and activities in the Piazza most of the day and into the evening.  You'll have music in Take 5 in the evening.  Also piano singer in Crooners.  There will be at least a couple of shows each evening in the Vista Lounge, along with a couple of production shows or larger band and singer acts in the theater, also every evening.  Game shows and television productions will be done in Princes Live a number of times each day.  Up on Lido at the central pool you have both live band entertainment along with music videos and Moves Under The Stars in the evening.  I'm sure I missed something.  There is activity going on all the time on board.  You will not be without entertainment options.

1 minute ago, jean-lynd said:

It will be awhile before they load all of the entertainment. In fact, some things may not show up until you are on board. I hope this helps!

Thank you! Yes, I did a bit of research & that seems to be the case. Actually someone who is currently onboard, references the music events. Thank goodness! I just couldn’t imagine! 

Happy Cruising! 

39 minutes ago, jeromep said:

A full entertainment schedule is only fully available when on board.  Music and entertainment is everywhere throughout the day.  Music and activities in the Piazza most of the day and into the evening.  You'll have music in Take 5 in the evening.  Also piano singer in Crooners.  There will be at least a couple of shows each evening in the Vista Lounge, along with a couple of production shows or larger band and singer acts in the theater, also every evening.  Game shows and television productions will be done in Princes Live a number of times each day.  Up on Lido at the central pool you have both live band entertainment along with music videos and Moves Under The Stars in the evening.  I'm sure I missed something.  There is activity going on all the time on board.  You will not be without entertainment options.

WOW & WOW & WOW!! Thank you so much for detailing all of this! It’s what we expected and a huge reason for trying Princess.