Live from Nieuw Statendam 14 day Canary Island Allure April 21 - May 5, 2024

19 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Although the Marriott is adjacent to the train station, the Hilton is no too far to walk.  DW has walking difficulties and it was a cold wet night, but she managed no problem.

We did not pre purchase train tickets, but used our debit cards to tap in and tap out.

The train departs from the station underneath the airport.  We used a luggage trolley and descended to the track level by elevator.  The train to Rotterdam departs from track 5 or 6.  Keep an eye on the tv monitors above the platform for updated information.  Also ensure it is an Inter City Direct train that you board - only 25 minutes to Rotterdam.  

There are a couple of steps up to the carriage, but they are manageable.  When you arrive in Rotterdam Central, exit the platform (elevator/escalator) and turn right.  You should be heading towards Platform 1 which is the nearest to the exit that you need.  At the station exit (remember to tap out if using debit/credit card) and cross the square and tram tracks in front of you.  You should see the Marriott.  When you reach the pavement turn left and it is a straight and level walk to the Hilton.  You cross two streets, but there are crossings.

The fare was charged to our debit card today of 14.50 euro each.

Thanks for posting this will help us in Aug. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

Did you see taxi's after exiting the train station?  We will have to take one to our hotel because the tram does not go there.  It's over the bridge near the port.

P.S. - Just saw the following on the news.  You will have to look it up because I was unable to link.  "Massive anti-tourist demonstration kicks off in Tenerife"

Tenerife is a big place. Generally you can avoid these things; we did in Barcelona. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

Did you see taxi's after exiting the train station?  We will have to take one to our hotel because the tram does not go there.  It's over the bridge near the port.

P.S. - Just saw the following on the news.  You will have to look it up because I was unable to link.  "Massive anti-tourist demonstration kicks off in Tenerife"

I did not notice any taxis, but I was not looking for them.  I think the taxi point was located in  a slightly different area.

• Like 2

That was our worst embarkation ever!  It does seem that there was a protest at the terminal building this morning, that caused delays to the disembarkation process and those who were taking tours.

We were in no  rush away from the hotel as check in was listed as starting at 12 noon, even though we were told to check in at least 90 minutes before scheduled departure time of 3pm.  So 12 noon to 1.30 to check in everyone........good luck with that!

Our taxi took us over the Erasmus Bridge and the line of traffic trying to get down Wilhelmenakade was all they way back on to the bridge.  So he drove straight on, did a U turn and pushed his way across the junction and down to the terminal.  However the line of passengers waiting to hand over their suitcases stretched from the end of the terminal building down to the bridge.  There was very little signage and no one was offering any guidance.  Also there was a cold wind blowing.  I left Ellen opposite the  terminal main door and headed down to join the end of the line.  It was long and it was 11.50 am.  Eventually they called 5 star mariners and they were guided into the building.  Then 4 and 5 stars were  called.  It started speeding up then, and once inside the terminal building the process moved quickly.   Eventually we were onboard by 1.10pm.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Next situation was  to go to our Muster Station.  No staff member present at 2.40 pm, so I went to the adjacent stations and was told that someone should be there and to wait.  Next there was an announcement on the PA for all muster station crew to stand down.   What?   So we took a selfie with the station number behind us and left.   We fully expected a telephone call or a knock on the door, but nothing.  So we did not officially complete the muster drill, but we are well out to sea, having eventually departed at 5.10pm.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You'll get the "love note" tonight. We got one, because - despite watching the safety video twice - it never registered. I eventually took a video of us watching the video for proof. Luckily the third time was the charm. Best of luck!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Navybikermom said:

Was there a different line for those who were carrying their luggage aboard? I hope they settle the protest issues before we board in May 😒

No it was one line, which stretched from the bridge to past the terminal and then doubled back to the terminal door.  It was painfully slow.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

No it was one line, which stretched from the bridge to past the terminal and then doubled back to the terminal door.  It was painfully slow.

Ugh… we’re staying at a hotel right on the pier so at least we won’t have to fight vehicular traffic if the protest situation continues. 

Thanks for the heads up!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Navybikermom said:

Ugh… we’re staying at a hotel right on the pier so at least we won’t have to fight vehicular traffic if the protest situation continues. 

Thanks for the heads up!

It was demoralising for those who were staying in the Nhow hotel, just next door to the terminal.  Their faces as they exited the hotel and looked at the line.  Really felt for them.

• Like 1

Wifi connected quickly.  We have Premium wifi included in HIA Early  Booking, and it includes wifi calling.  Cost to upgrade to Stream is $230 for 14 days.  No thanks!

Screenshot_20240421_225858_PhotoEditor.thumb.jpg.022123325593d4fdb2e5bbb3c4c97c13.jpg

Screenshot_20240421_202219_Chrome.thumb.jpg.88890e9d895ba014cb62aa3ba5005577.jpg

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

It was demoralising for those who were staying in the Nhow hotel, just next door to the terminal.  Their faces as they exited the hotel and looked at the line.  Really felt for them.

Lol, and that’s where we’ll be! If I see that, I’m going to turn back around and have a seat at the hotel bar until it clears up… 🍹

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

The BBKing Band, Sittin on the dock of the bay!

I think they just joined the ship today, will find out later for definite, but if they were new they were very good.

20240421_201536.thumb.jpg.560a7576febee84a8ca00b5bf2eaf9de.jpg

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Navybikermom said:

Lol, and that’s where we’ll be! If I see that, I’m going to turn back around and have a seat at the hotel bar until it clears up… 🍹

And we will come in a join you for that drink!

Wifi connected quickly.  We have Premium wifi included in HIA Early  Booking, and it includes wifi calling.  

Good to now that WiFi Calling is included in the Premium plan.  That's a nice touch since it was free through my cell carrier until many cruiselines started blocking it.  I also noticed that the Premium package is only good for 1 Device.  I thought it was 2 devices for each person in the stateroom.  🤔  Also see where they are cutting off the signal at midnight the night before you dock.  Is that the norm?  I was planning on using my plan to check on our flight status the morning we embark.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

Also see where they are cutting off the signal at midnight the night before you dock.  Is that the norm?  I was planning on using my plan to check on our flight status the morning we embark.

Wait, what?  Where is that stated please?

~Nancy

• Like 1

We were the lucky ones, I left Piet in the ginormous queue and headed to the start of the line, first time ever we have C.O. with priority boarding. The guys there were no good just said you can get a Porter and they will help you getting onboard. I asked what was the point of priority boarding then??
Luckily a lady came along asking people in the line who had priority boarding so went and got Piet and luggage and followed the leader. A discussion ensued between the Porters, the lady and a few passengers who thought I was pushing in. She told us to put our cases on their trolley anyway, walk all the way back past the line and enter the terminal. We did so and then! we had the boarding passes on our phones but also a printed one yeah guess what they needed the printed ones. Well boarded and in the cabin just after 12:00 we were ready to get this cruise rolling.

• Like 2

Hi. We are on the same cruise. We had an Uber take us from Amsterdam at 10:00. We didn’t encounter a protest and were unaware of it.   When we arrived at 11:00 the line was already long, but it moved fast. Step 1 was dropping off luggage and then we had to find the actual entrance to the building (hidden by lines of people). Once inside we were processed very rapidly, under 15 minutes. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Lauren and John said:

Hi. We are on the same cruise. We had an Uber take us from Amsterdam at 10:00. We didn’t encounter a protest and were unaware of it.   When we arrived at 11:00 the line was already long, but it moved fast. Step 1 was dropping off luggage and then we had to find the actual entrance to the building (hidden by lines of people). Once inside we were processed very rapidly, under 15 minutes. 

Same here. Arrived in front of the terminal at 11:15. Joined the que and entered our room after exactly one hour.

It seems that after 12ish the line got a lot longer.

There was no protest, but the soccer cup final was on this sunday. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

Also see where they are cutting off the signal at midnight the night before you dock.  Is that the norm?  I was planning on using my plan to check on our flight status the morning we embark.

Our cruise ends on 5th May, so in theory we have ship's wifi until midnight after we disembark.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1