Regent Seven Seas Voyager debacle

I'm on Voyager now and for sure there are a number of unhappy passengers, as the OP stated.  However, since we've embarked, a great many of us are also having a lovely cruise, myself included.  Whatever the technical issue was, it is not impacting the operations of the ship in anyway.  From my perspective the crew have been outstanding!   The food and entertainment have all been exceptional.  The ship is older, but to me still beautiful.  The main issues that people are upset about are:  

1.  Boarding 1 day later than expected.  For that Regent gave us a 10% refund plus a 15% FCC

2.  They couldn't find enough rooms in Barcelona on short notice, so they transported passengers to a small resort town about 45 minutes away and paid for the hotel.  If you chose not to take their hotel offer, then you had to find and pay for your own hotel.  Not a problem for me as my hotel had a room for the night, and I chose to stay in the City.  My choice, and I'm fine with the extra cost as I had a fantastic day in an amazing city.

3.  On Embarkation day they transported everyone to the cruise terminal much too early.  They arrived at the terminal around 1:00 but we couldn't board until approximately 6:00 pm.  I took a taxi to the terminal and arrived at 5:00.  Understandably,  the terminal was filled with annoyed people who had been sitting there for 5 hours. 

4.  Due to the missed day, 2 ports were cancelled (Palermo and Santorini).  Palermo was a replacement port for Sorrento which was cancelled prior to the cruise.  This meant that we ended up with 3 sea days instead of the planned 2. 

It's a fair criticism that communication from Management could have been better.  But, frankly, by the time we got on board some people were so angry that no amount of communication could change their minds.  Despite all of the mishaps and disappointments, I'm very happy that I'm here, and I will absolutely cruise with Regent again.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 13

2 hours ago, ysolde said:

Count me among those who had a wonderful time on the voyage from Rio to Lisbon a few weeks ago (hello, @Gilly!)

Hi @ysolde!  I second everything you say - our cruise was great and Voyager was in good shape indeed.

• Like 1

Having read Pacificview's post, it is easy to see why the OP was so angry.   If all the things that could have gone wrong did so for them and some other passengers, especially those who had never cruised with Regent before, it would indeed seem like a disaster.  I would have been pretty cross  too, and so would many of you, I think.  A bad start is almost the worst thing that can happen; it affects how  you feel for  the rest of your trip.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, PacificView said:

3.  On Embarkation day they transported everyone to the cruise terminal much too early.  They arrived at the terminal around 1:00 but we couldn't board until approximately 6:00 pm.  I took a taxi to the terminal and arrived at 5:00.

And this is why even when included I prefer to do my own transport. Cruise line transfers invariably mean waiting for everyone to get organised to board the bus and then you have a large group arriving at the same time so the check in process takes longer. @PacificView when were you told that boarding would be late so you could arrange a taxi for 5pm?

3 hours ago, lincslady said:

I would have been pretty cross  too, and so would many of you, I think.  A bad start is almost the worst thing that can happen; it affects how  you feel for  the rest of your trip.

I've had bad starts before though not losing a whole day but have had to have extra sea days for various reasons. But you have to learn to make the best of it otherwise you just waste a cruise being angry.

• Like 3

Some people are lucky enough to have the sort of temperament that  enables them to 'make the best of it' easily; others unfortunately find it difficult.  I have found as I have got older I am more able to become one of the former - it is certainly the best way to not get overly stressed about things which go wrong. 

• Like 1

I think the biggest frustration for some is it could have been handled better.  It seems regent just isn’t equipped to handle major issues  or even minor ones in this case.

Like ww2 when Germany invaded France the French didn’t know what to do and stood around waiting for command to instruct them on a plan.  They just have everyone in the files waiting for corporate to figure it out and they just aren’t wired that way.

This is a 10 night cruise, Barcelona to Athens.  The email notifying us of Regent's hotel & transport plan asked us to respond as soon as possible if we were choosing to go it on our own.  I did that and declined their offer.  A little while later I received an email with the terminal address and instructions to arrive between 5:00 & 8:00 pm.  I think that if Regent told us earlier that embarkation was going to be that late in the day, others may have done what I did and found their own hotel.  Of course, they would have still been upset that there wasn't a reimbursement for our out of pocket cost.  But at least it would have been their choice as to how to spend their day.  Frantic 36 is right that bringing a bad start onboard only ends up ruining your vacation.  For me,  I'm separating the two issues between the changes prior to embarkation and everything that's happened since boarding.  The people who are still upset are having a harder time doing that. I say that not to criticize them, just to say that since boarding it's been a really good experience for me - and I know that I'm not alone in feeling that way. 

• Like 8

If Tasha had told us what Pacific View has so clearly outlined, half of this thread wouldn't have been necessary. All I wanted to know was what went so wrong. Now I understand, thanks to PV.

I'm very sorry that things went fluey at the beginning  of the cruise, but "stuff" happens. I would've been upset too, but once onboard, it's either make yourself totally miserable, or start a fresh and enjoy. It's your cruise, why make a mess of it?

• Like 5

More understandable as it was her first (and no doubt last) cruise on Regent.  Most of you know what to normally expect, the OP would I am sure be expecting the sort of cruise you are usually writing about on here and what the advertising suggests, and the very bad start would be more of a nasty surprise.  But, yes, she was too hopping mad to describe it in detail at the time, and could have come back later.

9 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

I'm very sorry that things went fluey at the beginning  of the cruise, but "stuff" happens. I would've been upset too, but once onboard, it's either make yourself totally miserable, or start a fresh and enjoy. It's your cruise, why make a mess of it?

@Mudhen I agree.  Embarkation day is seldom totally trouble-free and we often remark that, if we didn't feel confident about the experience awaiting us once on board ship, we'd feel like turning around and going home!  I think that having to undergo CV tests on the pier before boarding was the worst, but boarding in Rio a few weeks ago was hardly a picnic.  Somehow though, that first glass of champagne and everything else that follows on from there is usually a swift remedy for any of our remaining grumpiness.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Gilly said:

@Mudhen I agree.  Embarkation day is seldom totally trouble-free and we often remark that, if we didn't feel confident about the experience awaiting us once on board ship, we'd feel like turning around and going home!  I think that having to undergo CV tests on the pier before boarding was the worst, but boarding in Rio a few weeks ago was hardly a picnic.  Somehow though, that first glass of champagne and everything else that follows on from there is usually a swift remedy for any of our remaining grumpiness.

You had a mandatory Covid test on the pier as a requirement to boarding?

1 minute ago, Pcardad said:

You had a mandatory Covid test on the pier as a requirement to boarding?

I think you misunderstood the post. I think the post compares 2 difficult embarkations, one of which included a COVID test. JMO.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

I think you misunderstood the post. I think the post compares 2 difficult embarkations, one of which included a COVID test. JMO.

My brain is mush today....

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

@Pcardad , @PhD-iva is correct - no CV tests recently but that experience remains in our memory as the most anxiety-inducing embarkation procedure of all.  We should feel thankful that these days however awful that process is, it seldom comes close.

A glass of champagne usually provides welcome relief.

Edited by Gilly
clarification
  • Like 6

Totally agree that it’s best to find your way to have a good time and not dwell on the negatives on your vacation.

However, coming from a Regent groupie, I’m going to throw this out there … I think that 10% off in this circumstance is too tight. It is a tad short on the actual time lost on the trip (one day short on a 10 day plus several hours and how many cocktails!) and I think some goodwill couldn’t have hurt for the inconvenience. Maybe 15% or 20%?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, kjbacon said:

Totally agree that it’s best to find your way to have a good time and not dwell on the negatives on your vacation.

However, coming from a Regent groupie, I’m going to throw this out there … I think that 10% off in this circumstance is too tight. It is a tad short on the actual time lost on the trip (one day short on a 10 day plus several hours and how many cocktails!) and I think some goodwill couldn’t have hurt for the inconvenience. Maybe 15% or 20%?

I thought they got 25%...10% cash and 15% credit on a Future Cruise?

5 hours ago, PacificView said:

This is a 10 night cruise, Barcelona to Athens.  The email notifying us of Regent's hotel & transport plan asked us to respond as soon as possible if we were choosing to go it on our own.  I did that and declined their offer.  A little while later I received an email with the terminal address and instructions to arrive between 5:00 & 8:00 pm.  I think that if Regent told us earlier that embarkation was going to be that late in the day, others may have done what I did and found their own hotel.  Of course, they would have still been upset that there wasn't a reimbursement for our out of pocket cost.  But at least it would have been their choice as to how to spend their day.  Frantic 36 is right that bringing a bad start onboard only ends up ruining your vacation.  For me,  I'm separating the two issues between the changes prior to embarkation and everything that's happened since boarding.  The people who are still upset are having a harder time doing that. I say that not to criticize them, just to say that since boarding it's been a really good experience for me - and I know that I'm not alone in feeling that way. 

I don’t understand then if Regent knew way ahead of time that embarkation wouldn’t occur until at the earliest 5 pm, why did they bus those people to the terminal at 1 pm!! ?? They should have given them a bus tour or something to kill time!

• Like 4

Agree with @Gilly that our embarkation in Rio left something to be desired.  Fortunately, by the time we boarded the ship, DH and I felt entirely at peace.  We dropped off our bags, ate lunch with a wonderful couple, and explored the ship  It was the beginning of a wonderful cruise, with embarkation long since forgotten.

4 minutes ago, cruiseluv said:

I don’t understand then if Regent knew way ahead of time that embarkation wouldn’t occur until at the earliest 5 pm, why did they bus those people to the terminal at 1 pm!! ?? They should have given them a bus tour or something to kill time!

I assume Regent did not have time to arrange for a last minute excursion, though I agree, in these circumstances, a HOHO might have done the trick.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

I thought they got 25%...10% cash and 15% credit on a Future Cruise?

Yes, true, but i personally don’t think FCC’s are a substitute for actual reimbursement. 

18 minutes ago, kjbacon said:

I think that 10% off in this circumstance is too tight. It is a tad short on the actual time lost on the trip (one day short on a 10 day plus several hours and how many cocktails!)

Wouldn't  "one day short on a 10 day plus" actually BE 10% of the cruise? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Wouldn't  "one day short on a 10 day plus" actually BE 10% of the cruise? 

Yes but usually we board in time for their delicious carved rib lunch and an afternoon of cocktails 🍷 lol instead of early evening. I prob have too much time on my hands right now, recovering from minor surgery!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gilly said:

I haven't sailed on Regent yet but this just reminds me that doesn't matter, luxury at some point in your cruising life when boarding you will encounter glitches. Which is why for us I now find a nice local restaurant for lunch and go later. Because of loyalty on Seabourn they usually book my transfer to board earlier but I try to push it later.

I am looking forward to trying Regent but even though excited to see the new ship will aim to avoid the early boarding. Is there ports you can drop of luggage but go for lunch before boarding? I have done this in Venice and Piraeus previously. We are boarding in Tokyo but curious for others as well.

44 minutes ago, ysolde said:

I assume Regent did not have time to arrange for a last minute excursion, though I agree, in these circumstances, a HOHO might have done the trick.

Or arrange for late check out from the hotel where they were staying 

• Like 1