An example of luxury vs premium

Woodrowst

Posted (edited)

People are always asking for examples of the difference between luxury and premium cruising.  We have been on - and enjoyed- many Oceania cruises but are currently on the Silversea Silver Endeavor tootling around Scotland.  Silversea is, of course, a luxury line where Oceania is a premium line.  That is not to denigrate Oceania in any way - as mentioned we have enjoyed Oceania cruises and will continue to do so.

Anyway, at dinner last night the sommelier offered us the complimentary wine of the evening.  I asked if he had a Spanish Rioja. On a luxury line they always say yes when they can so he went to hunt down a bottle of rioja and returned with one shortly.  Then he left the bottle on the table with me so that I could have as much as desired.  That would not happen on Oceania.  When I told him I appreciated having the entire bottle he said,”We want to spoil you on your vacation”.  I can’t say I have ever heard an Oceania staff member say that.

Again, this was not a post against Oceania.  It was to give an example of an experience that shows the incremental difference between a luxury and premium cruise line.

Edited by Woodrowst
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Woodrowst said:

People are always asking for examples of the difference between luxury and premium cruising.  We have been on - and enjoyed- many Oceania cruises but are currently on the Silversea Silver Endeavor tootling around Scotland.  Silversea is, of course, a luxury line where Oceania is a premium line.  That is not to denigrate Oceania in any way - as mentioned we have enjoyed Oceania cruises and will continue to do so.

Anyway, at dinner last night the sommelier offered us the complimentary wine of the evening.  I asked if he had a Spanish Rioja. On a luxury line they always say yes when they can so he went to hunt down a bottle of rioja and returned with one shortly.  Then he left the bottle on the table with me so that I could have as much as desired.  That would not happen on Oceania.  When I told him I appreciated having the entire bottle he said,”We want to spoil you on your vacation”.  I can’t say I have ever heard an Oceania staff member say that.

Again, this was not a post against Oceania.  It was to give an example of an experience that shows the incremental difference between a luxury and premium cruise line.

I agree. We had a similar experience last June with Silversea. However apart from that we really didn’t feel that that was enough to make Silversea ‘luxury’ compared with other similar lines. Of course you also have to take into account that Oceania is ‘premium’ line not a ‘luxury’ line. 

For us Seabourn really is the line that goes above and beyond. But everyone to their own as it really is ‘subjective’.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

doesnt mean anything to those of us that do not consume alcoholic beverages.

True.  As a non-drinker, I can't really find any reasons to sail on a Luxury line.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, jonthomas said:

doesnt mean anything to those of us that do not consume alcoholic beverages.

My point wasn’t about alcohol.  It was about a level of service above and beyond a premium line.  

• Like 17

2 hours ago, Woodrowst said:

And then there's the incremental difference between price tags... 😝

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Woodrowst said:

In the last 3 years we sailed twice on S and 3 times on O.

We found nothing on SS that makes it any more luxury than O and justifies the 40-60% price difference. Maybe the cabins, but that's it.

As non drinkers, your example doesn't really mean much to us, but service in most other areas was comparable to O. In fact, we had much longer waits on SS in the morning and afternoon buffet for things like water and coffee. We asked for Perrier, the impression was they are bring it from another ship. After two times we gave up and settled for their sparkling water, which is pretty bad compared to Perrier.

If you read SS board, there are a lot of complaints about service and food. I don't know how it was before Covid, but now we just cannot justify their prices and consider them in the same league with O. 

Maybe SB and Explora are different, but not SS.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Woodrowst said:

Have to disagree only about experience.  December and January we were on the Nova of Silversea.  They run out of some wine, and you had to ask for more.  They also run out of lettuce for the salad bar along with a few other items.  The Butler never thought ahead, you had to ask for --- and Butler service isn't 24/7.  We enjoy afternoon coffee in the suite (we were in a top suite) somedays you got - other days it was forgotten, that's not luxury to me.

• Like 5

We are currently on the Vista where some things do rise to luxury status, and other things fall short (hence the Premium category does apply).  An example is trying to make or cancel a restaurant reservation.  On O, this means either waiting in a queue for the single person that handles restaurant reservations or trying to get through on a phone line that is seldom answered.  On Seabourn (our luxury line of choice) you could just ask at any restaurant (including the lido) and it would be handled.  On Explora Journeys (another luxury line with amazing cuisine) you could deal with a reservations desk (generally staffed with more then one person) or just ask at the restaurant.  

Another difference is in the cabins.  Most luxury lines are "all suites."  Luxury lines also have more space and staff per passenger.

I will also mention that DW and I cruise on mass market, premium, and luxury lines.  We enjoy all three categories, but approach each with different expectations.  We do not expect O food when we are on Princess, and we do not expect Seabourn service when we are on O.  Each type of line has their pros and cons.  

Hank

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

I agree with your assessment that there is a difference between premium and luxury lines.  We sailed Regent and had a wonderful experience; but, we also had a wonderful experience on O.  It really depends on what you are wanting from a particular cruise.  Does included business class air matter to you?  What about drinks and entertainment?  They vary depending upon the type of line (as does the price point!)  Everyone has to make that judgement for their own preferences. (And I now have future cruises on both Regent's and O.)

But, it is helpful to hear from someone who has experienced both to provide some insight!  So, thank you @Woodrowst.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Hearthosesteeldrumsplayin said:

I agree with your assessment that there is a difference between premium and luxury lines.  We sailed Regent and had a wonderful experience; but, we also had a wonderful experience on O.  It really depends on what you are wanting from a particular cruise.  Does included business class air matter to you?  What about drinks and entertainment?  They vary depending upon the type of line (as does the price point!)  Everyone has to make that judgement for their own preferences. (And I now have future cruises on both Regent's and O.)

But, it is helpful to hear from someone who has experienced both to provide some insight!  So, thank you @Woodrowst.

Very true.

For people who fly business class and buy cash tickets, Regent is an excellent value. For those who buy on points - not so much because their air credit is significantly less than the current cost of the flights.

So it's really what's important to YOU. If I don't drink, I couldn't care less about the alcohol quality - and no, I'm not missing the point because this is what's important (or not) TO ME. If 240 sqft on Vista is more than sufficient to me, then 300+ sqft "suites" on SB or SS are "nice to have", but not something worth paying for. Space ratios are important, but Riviera never felt crowded to me compared to SS ships that have higher ratios.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mnocket said:

Talk about missing the point🙄

They are not missing the point because this is what important (or not) to THEM. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mnocket said:

Talk about missing the point🙄

I guess I can repeat that, talk about YOU missing my point.

IF a luxury line is about how much you can drink, the variety, quality,  and how you are served those drinks, since we dont consume any alcohol,  then we are getting all the luxury we need by sailing a premium line , without the cost. For us it has to be about something other than liquor to pay more.

Hope you get my point. I really cant explain it better than that.

• Like 6

To add to that.

The recent O change to SM, does little  for us.

But we enjoy so much of what we get with O that we are willing to put up with the fact that we are paying for wines that we will not be consuming. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We are currently on the Vista where some things do rise to luxury status, and other things fall short (hence the Premium category does apply).  An example is trying to make or cancel a restaurant reservation.  On O, this means either waiting in a queue for the single person that handles restaurant reservations or trying to get through on a phone line that is seldom answered.  On Seabourn (our luxury line of choice) you could just ask at any restaurant (including the lido) and it would be handled.  On Explora Journeys (another luxury line with amazing cuisine) you could deal with a reservations desk (generally staffed with more then one person) or just ask at the restaurant.  

Another difference is in the cabins.  Most luxury lines are "all suites."  Luxury lines also have more space and staff per passenger.

I will also mention that DW and I cruise on mass market, premium, and luxury lines.  We enjoy all three categories, but approach each with different expectations.  We do not expect O food when we are on Princess, and we do not expect Seabourn service when we are on O.  Each type of line has their pros and cons.  

Hank

We prefer the larger Suites on "O" and other lines, as far as dinner goes (cancel or make a reservation) the Butler can handle that on all lines including "O".  We've seen what they call a suites on Regent and Silversea, the small suites are really a bed with a couch on the side.  To me that is not a suite, a suite is a living area with a door to the bedroom.  Just an opinion.,

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ronrick1943 said:

We prefer the larger Suites on "O" and other lines, as far as dinner goes (cancel or make a reservation) the Butler can handle that on all lines including "O".  We've seen what they call a suites on Regent and Silversea, the small suites are really a bed with a couch on the side.  To me that is not a suite, a suite is a living area with a door to the bedroom.  Just an opinion.,

We get it :).  Since we spend little waking time in our cabin/suite, the large cabins are nice but also a waste of our money.  We prefer to be out and about and socializing with other passengers.  When we have a large suite, we almost feel obligated to spend more time in the suite.  No right or wrong it simply personal preference.

Hank

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

I guess I can repeat that, talk about YOU missing my point.

IF a luxury line is about how much you can drink, the variety, quality,  and how you are served those drinks, since we dont consume any alcohol,  then we are getting all the luxury we need by sailing a premium line , without the cost. For us it has to be about something other than liquor to pay more.

Hope you get my point. I really cant explain it better than that.

Tell me what is important to you on a cruise and I will be happy to see if I can come up with an example or two of the incremental difference of a luxury vs premium line in the area(s) that matter to you.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

I agree. The term "suite" is really being misused. It's nice that they put a curtain to separate the bed and the sitting area, but it really doesn't make it a real suite.

9 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We get it :).  Since we spend little waking time in our cabin/suite, the large cabins are nice but also a waste of our money.  We prefer to be out and about and socializing with other passengers.  When we have a large suite, we almost feel obligated to spend more time in the suite.  No right or wrong it simply personal preference.

Hank

Agree. 240 sqft on the newer O ships is perfectly fine. I could never understand what people do in their cabins that they need 300-400 sqft or more (unless of course money is really not an issue). We come to a cruise to see the world, not to spend time in the cabin.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Woodrowst said:

Tell me what is important to you on a cruise and I will be happy to see if I can come up with an example or two of the incremental difference of a luxury vs premium line in the area(s) that matter to you.

Lets see:

1. Food (quality, variety).

2. Service.

3. Crowds (or lack of them).

We sailed on SS, Old Crystal, Oceania and Azamara in non mass market categories. Except for cabins that were too small on Azamara, didn't see a lot of differences in those areas. And in any case, even if there are differences, I believe that lines like O are much closer to "luxury" lines than to mass market lines, and definitely represent a better value for money. 

• Like 1

My analogy is that the mass market cruise lines are like flying economy.

Premium cruise lines (e.g. Oceania) is like flying business class

Luxury cruise lines are like flying first class

To me, a significant jump going from economy to business but a much smaller jump to go from business to first class.  On the airline side, the difference between economy/business can be worth the price.  Not so much to go from business --> first.  Similar to cruise lines.

(I should note that I have quite a bit of experience in flying the different classes of airline seats, but have never cruised with a luxury cruise line  LOL))

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Agree, we don't spend all day in the suite, but the time we do we enjoy then space and additional service that comes with it. We socialize when we want, yet have the privacy when we want.  It's not for everyone, and liken you say it's what your preference is.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Lets see:

1. Food (quality, variety).

2. Service.

3. Crowds (or lack of them).

We sailed on SS, Old Crystal, Oceania and Azamara in non mass market categories. Except for cabins that were too small on Azamara, didn't see a lot of differences in those areas. And in any case, even if there are differences, I believe that lines like O are much closer to "luxury" lines than to mass market lines, and definitely represent a better value for money. 

I think we are missing an important part of the mix.  The crew!  A good cruise to us also includes  the crew performance--the crew can make a cruise or break a cruise.  It sets what's going to happen...........

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

I think we are missing an important part of the mix.  The crew!  A good cruise to us also includes  the crew performance--the crew can make a cruise or break a cruise.  It sets what's going to happen...........

Agree, but this is directly related to the service. Also, if they have clear instructions and guidelines from the corporate that dictate cutbacks, sometimes the best crew cannot save the day.

Also, age and condition of the ship. Crystal fans will always point out to the crew, but just read some of the reviews. The best crew will have a hard time to resolve some of the issues on a 25 years old ship.