"25% off for > 5 excursions" - but they didn't actually give me the discount....

growlers

Correction: I am not getting almost $150 back. Just called O, and because we're on an extended cruise, we have to each book 12 excursions before the 25% goes into effect. And we have to have them all booked before we board. Ah well. Worth a shot.

9 minutes ago, samiam0403 said:

Correction: I am not getting almost $150 back. Just called O, and because we're on an extended cruise, we have to each book 12 excursions before the 25% goes into effect. And we have to have them all booked before we board. Ah well. Worth a shot.

For future reference: when you first book your O cruise, and regularly thereafter, call O and get the most recent (up-to-date) Shore Excursions PDF (which will be adjusted for extended journeys as well as single segments). On page 1, you’ll find the minimum tour purchase requirements to get the 25% SM deal (formerly YWYW under O Life).

And, as I always mention: NEVER use the O web cart to purchase your tours! It’s extremely glitchy - particularly if your cruise is a multi-segment one (I’ve explained this in numerous earlier posts over several years- worth searching for). And always get the prepurchased shore excursions PDF, which has all the math showing for your tour purchases and use of O Life or SM SBC.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just curious:  My TA sent me a PDF copy of the excursions.  But does the info on that ever change?  I got the document at least a month ago and my cruise isn't until December.  The info seems identical to what's on the website, other than the fact that only the non-discounted price is given, and the fact that there are a few excursions on the pdf that aren't on the cart site. But I've never been sure which is correct and/or most recent - website or pdf!  (I suppose that's one reason having my TA call in the excursions is best!)  Also, I assume I can use my shipboard credit for excursions after the SM credit is used for the required number of excursions.  Is that correct?  And I will get the discounted price for them, right? And can I make changes to the excursions booked with SM credit, once I board, assuming there are slots open and I'm within the CX period?

Edited by roothy123

1 hour ago, roothy123 said:

Just curious:  My TA sent me a PDF copy of the excursions.  But does the info on that ever change?

Yes.

Also, I assume I can use my shipboard credit for excursions after the SM credit is used for the required number of excursions.  Is that correct? 

Sometimes. It depends on the source of the OBC (e.g., my O-Club OBC can be used, but the OBC I received due to a price drop cannot be used)

And I will get the discounted price for them, right?

Yes. If you qualify for the 25% discount, all subsequently booked shorex should be discounted (except, I believe, "executive cars" or whatever they are calling the car/driver combo).

And can I make changes to the excursions booked with SM credit, once I board, assuming there are slots open and I'm within the CX period?

No...the cancellation deadline is in your shorex pdf (embarkation if the whiskey has not altered my memory 😉 ).

Posted (edited)

OK, one or two more little questions:  I use a travel agent.  Once I determine what excursions I want, can I call Oceania myself and ask them to book the excursions, or must my travel agent do that?  

And I read (perhaps mentioned by Flatbush Flyer in another thread) that if O misses a port, and you paid for an excursion (in part, with SM excursion credit), you get refundable OBC rather than $$ back for the part you paid after using up your excursion credit. If you don't want to use the refundable credit, do you then ask for a $$ credit or how does that work?

Edited by roothy123

51 minutes ago, roothy123 said:

OK, one or two more little questions:  I use a travel agent.  Once I determine what excursions I want, can I call Oceania myself and ask them to book the excursions, or must my travel agent do that?  

And I read (perhaps mentioned by Flatbush Flyer in another thread) that if O misses a port, and you paid for an excursion (in part, with SM excursion credit), you get refundable OBC rather than $$ back for the part you paid after using up your excursion credit. If you don't want to use the refundable credit, do you then ask for a $$ credit or how does that work?

All funds that were paid with cash/credit card will be returned as refundable OBC. If not used refundable OBC can be cashed out at the reception desk on the last day of the cruise. Otherwise it will be refunded to your credit card on file.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, roothy123 said:

can I call Oceania myself and ask them to book the excursions, or must my travel agent do that?  

You can call directly (easier for everyome)

If you don't want to use the refundable credit, do you then ask for a $$ credit or how does that work?

I'll give an example that fits your question since it gets messy. Say you have $300 per person of SM shorex credit and you book three $110 shorex for a total of $330. $30 gets charged to your credit card (or other OBC). Case 1: One of the shorex is cancelled by O before embarkation; typically (as in last month) I've received a credit to my CC (for $30 in this case, $330-300) and I'd have $80 ($300-220) in SM shorex credit to use on something else. Case 2: One of the shorex is cancelled during the cruise; you should get $80 in non-refundable SM shorex credit to use on other shorex if possible; the $30 you paid with you CC shows up as a credit on your account (or at least it has in the past but maybe it's changed?) so that should be usable on anything or refundable.

Edited by AMHuntFerry
or you can be succinct like osandmir ;)
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, roothy123 said:

Wasn’t me. Tour SM is tour SBC in SM.

Yes, even with a TA on your account, you can book tours with an O rep. Both get recognition for the tour purchase.

BTW: even with a great TA, establishing a good relationship with a long-serving knowledgeable O phone rep (and a few O Club Ambassadors) is a smart move for all sorts of reasons.

• Thanks 1

A few random comments:

1.  Oceania oftentimes adds to and subtracts from ( cancels) tours as situations warrant. I’ve seen shore tours added 5-6 months pre-cruise. Others similarly cancelled.This means that the pdf one requested upon booking, 12+ months out, may not be accurate or up to date.

2. For those few exceptional ship tours we choose, I send the tour descriptions to my TA and she books them. I have no desire to spend time on the phone ( including possibly on hold) talking to a phone rep. My way, it’s all in writing so I can compare what I received to what I requested thus eliminating any chances of verbal mis communication. 

3.  This 25% off thingy has become a quagmire for some. There may be different results for different folks. If Oceania cancels a port, or more importantly altered port times before you board, this may upset your plans. We boarded the Vista last June to learn 3 or 4 ports had 2 or more hours clipped off them. People likewise learned this resulted in some cases of cancelled tours. If the passengers didn’t rebook tours to get back to their minimum requirements, tour prices were recalculated accordingly. This created havoc. This policy was not employed for tours cancelled because of weather or other reasons after the start of the cruise. Unless one just prefers expensive ship tours, chasing that 25% off can be a fool’s folly. Book what you think you’d like to do and let the chips fall as they may. I’ve seen too many book additional tours, they didn’t really want, just to get 25% off an expensive tour they really wanted, to then have that tour cancelled.

16 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

establishing a good relationship with a long-serving knowledgeable O phone rep

I agree. And, honestly, we just enjoy each other's remote company 🙂

23 hours ago, osandomir said:

All funds that were paid with cash/credit card will be returned as refundable OBC. If not used refundable OBC can be cashed out at the reception desk on the last day of the cruise. Otherwise it will be refunded to your credit card on file.

Exactly (except that O calls it Shipboard Credit (I.e., SBC).

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Two questions please re the 25% discount shorex package.

1.    My reading indicates that if booking shorex utilising this package, then all shorex become non-refundable upon embarkation.

No matter how many days before a port a tour may be.

Is that correct ?

2. Two people on the booking.

Can only ONE person utilise this discount package if they wish and not the other ?

EG: Discount requires 4 shorex.

One person books 4 and has the discount applied, and the other doesn't book any excursions 

Edited by Tranquility Base

1 hour ago, Tranquility Base said:

Two questions please re the 25% discount shorex package.

1.    My reading indicates that if booking shorex utilising this package, then all shorex become non-refundable upon embarkation.

No matter how many days before a port a tour may be.

Is that correct ?

2. Two people on the booking.

Can only ONE person utilise this discount package if they wish and not the other ?

EG: Discount requires 4 shorex.

One person books 4 and has the discount applied, and the other doesn't book any excursions 

You are probably correct regarding number 1 since that was the rule with O Life’s YWYW 25% deal. Any package purchase was not refundable once onboard. Even had the rule printed on the tour tix.

As for number 2, I don’t have a definitive answer. I do know that the old YWYW rule was a minimum number of tours were required  and that the cited number was per person in the cabin. 

Here is the wording from the pdf sent to me with my final cruise details 

"All excursion packages have the added convenience of being fully refundable until sail date and must be purchased in advance of sailing to enjoy the maximum savings. Packages will be non-refundable thereafter. Á la Carte excursions will remain fully refundable up until 36 hours before the excursion. You may pre-purchase shore excursions up until 7 days prior to your sail date."

So from that it would appear they are refundable until boarding date if you have the SM 25%  discount (which I do)

38 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You are probably correct regarding number 1 since that was the rule with O Life’s YWYW 25% deal. Any package purchase was not refundable once onboard. Even had the rule printed on the tour tix.

Thanks.

From the info quoted below then yes, it is the same as the old rule.

29 minutes ago, daydreamer62 said:

Here is the wording from the pdf sent to me with my final cruise details 

"All excursion packages have the added convenience of being fully refundable until sail date and must be purchased in advance of sailing to enjoy the maximum savings. Packages will be non-refundable thereafter.

Thanks.

Will have to take this into account.

@Flatbush Flyer

I seem to recall you posting somewhere that if you have booked the minimum required for the discount, and Oceania cancels one of those excursions, then the discount still remains on the remainder. Even though you are now below the minimum.

Do you know if that is the case even if there are other excursions available to book ?

Either at the same port or a different port ?

Edited by Tranquility Base

3 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

Thanks.

From the info quoted below then yes, it is the same as the old rule.

Thanks.

Will have to take this into account.

@Flatbush Flyer

I seem to recall you posting somewhere that if you have booked the minimum required for the discount, and Oceania cancels one of those excursions, then the discount still remains on the remainder. Even though you are now below the minimum.

Do you know if that is the case even if there are other excursions available to book ?

Either at the same port or a different port ?

No.  That happened to us.  We prebooked 6 tours. That was the number that got us the 25% discount.  Later a port where we had an excursion got cancelled. It was replaced with another port.  We were down to 5 excursions.  The price of the remaining 5 tours jumped back to full price.  Called O and was told that we had to have 6 tours to reinstate the discount.   We booked an inexpensive 6th tour to recover the 25% discount.  It’s a crazy system.   We are on Marina now. We decided to switch to a different excursion. My account has the refund for the cancellation.  The replacement is posted at full price. Destination services assured us that eventually we would get the 25% discount.  It hasn’t happened yet.  

5 hours ago, Redtravel said:

No.  That happened to us.  We prebooked 6 tours. That was the number that got us the 25% discount.  Later a port where we had an excursion got cancelled. It was replaced with another port.  We were down to 5 excursions.  The price of the remaining 5 tours jumped back to full price.  Called O and was told that we had to have 6 tours to reinstate the discount.   We booked an inexpensive 6th tour to recover the 25% discount.  It’s a crazy system.   We are on Marina now. We decided to switch to a different excursion. My account has the refund for the cancellation.  The replacement is posted at full price. Destination services assured us that eventually we would get the 25% discount.  It hasn’t happened yet.  

If you can, please let us know if the amount was adjusted by the end of the cruise. And just curious - for the last minute (I assume) "replacement" port, was Destinations able to arrange excursions in that port? Thanks. 

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea