Is Travel Insurance A Requirement?

52 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I’ve always specifically asked about medical evacuation from a ship whilst at sea (in the knowledge that the cost would be devastating) and they confirmed it would be covered, never suggesting that it would be free of charge. 

Although you could argue that "free of charge" is, from their perspective, covering you.

2 minutes ago, david63 said:

Although you could argue that "free of charge" is, from their perspective, covering you.

I don’t think that I phrased my post very well. I was meaning that the insurers never suggested, when I specifically asked, that I needn’t worry about a medical evacuation at sea on the basis that whoever provides it (coast guard, air ambulance etc) would always do so free of charge. They said that they would cover the cost, which lead me to assume that there was one. I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that people, or insurers, have had to pay tens of thousands of pounds for such things but, thankfully, I’ve never had to find out! There have been a few on cruises that we’ve been on though, as well as unplanned port calls to drop off sick passengers. 

2 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I don’t think that I phrased my post very well. I was meaning that the insurers never suggested, when I specifically asked, that I needn’t worry about a medical evacuation at sea on the basis that whoever provides it (coast guard, air ambulance etc) would always do so free of charge. They said that they would cover the cost, which lead me to assume that there was one. I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that people, or insurers, have had to pay tens of thousands of pounds for such things but, thankfully, I’ve never had to find out! There have been a few on cruises that we’ve been on though, as well as unplanned port calls to drop off sick passengers. 

We had an instance about 12 years ago on a world cruise when a fellow passenger was taken poorly in Papua New Guinea. The patient was flown to Australia (Darwin I think). The doctor told me that it was just as well they had insurance as the flight etc would have cost them 40k. I have no knowledge as to whether this would have been true, but there was no reason to disbelieve him.

• Thanks 1

Medical evacuation from a ship is free of charge under international treaty. The reason it is included in the insurance is due to the unlikely event that the treaty is terminated.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Free at the point of removal from the ship but before you get to that point there will be a very hefty medical bill onboard as that removal is very much the last resort.  Then there's the question of if the hospital you travel to is able to treat the problem, something we take for granted but certainly not guaranteed.  This is often where the problems start.  Antigua for instance does not have a hospital equipped for major heart problems and any passenger arriving there would need an emergency helicopter to Martinique or Guadeloupe as these islands have an arrangement to assist.  That transfer would not be free and assumedly any ambulance charges from arrival at the heliport would start the charging clock once more.

Even in Civitavechia we encountered a hospital no heart team and after 72 hours had to transfer to Central Rome.  Insurance companies only cover us for treatment in approved local hospitals and in the first instance that is where we end up.  If special care is needed elsewhere you have to negotiate with the insurer or pay upfront and argue the need to have moved before they agreed.  

Edited by Megabear2

10 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Out of interest, in case this insurance question pops up again. Does your personal medical insurance cover you for any problems that occur on a cruise; and would that include airfares back home if you were admitted to hospital whilst on your cruise?

That's a very personal question for a public board.

3 hours ago, Angel57 said:

We had an instance about 12 years ago on a world cruise when a fellow passenger was taken poorly in Papua New Guinea. The patient was flown to Australia (Darwin I think). The doctor told me that it was just as well they had insurance as the flight etc would have cost them 40k. I have no knowledge as to whether this would have been true, but there was no reason to disbelieve him.

I can believe that, since that would have been in a specially chartered plane which could carry a patient on a stretcher. I imagine a coastguard medevac is different because it is a maritime emergency.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, roomba920 said:

In fairness I don't think John was asking for your personal information more we UK residents are interested in what US travellers do to cover themselves in the event of medical problems and return home if they are unable to travel on their arranged flights.

You need to understand it is completely alien to UK residents to partake in any packaged holiday without full travel insurance, it is in the contractual terms and conditions for us hence the possibility of being asked to prove we have it - there is a section on the cruise personaliser where we are obliged to fill in our policy details.

From personal experience I know some US guests use their own medical insurance that covers them at home and I believe John to be asking if that is the normal thing.

There have been a few US guests asking here on the P&O board about insurance, something that was quite rare but occurring more regularly since the restart.  It is just helpful to know how their fellow countrymen dealt with it, not intended  as an intrusion into personal details.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I can believe that, since that would have been in a specially chartered plane which could carry a patient on a stretcher. I imagine a coastguard medevac is different because it is a maritime emergency.

I think you are spot on, as I believe the pax was briefly transferred to the local hospital by ambulance and then later that day flown to Australia. We had to wait a few extra hours in port for the ships doctor and nurse to return.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, roomba920 said:

With respect, you started this thread by asking about insurance. Several people have given up their time to write their answers to your question and explain why, in their view, and in some cases from their own experience, it is highly advisable to have travel insurance, even if, as you say, for American guests it is not compulsory. In post 14, you said it was sorted out but you haven’t given any indication of how it is sorted. 

You have now accused terrierjohn, a well respected poster on this board, of asking a very personal question for a public board. I don’t interpret it in this way because he seemed to be seeking advice that could potentially be helpful for others who may be in this situation in the future.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise, whether or not you have bought a policy and hope nothing untoward happens that may necessitate insurance because if so, it will mean something has gone wrong to spoil your holiday. 

Edited by pete14
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, roomba920 said:

We are covered.

Excellent news. I hope you enjoy your cruise. Perhaps you can let us know how it went at some point as it is always nice to hear back. Have a wonderful time.

• Like 2