NCL dropped a destination weeks before cruising

Also, thinking back on it, this little town (Hamina, Finland) must have had several day's prior notice that we would dock there.  They put on as entertaining a display as any small town could, complete with house tours and costumed characters, banners, an impromptu market, etc.  But why could NCL have not given their own customers the same few day's notice so people wouldn't loose their money on private excursions they had booked?  As others have said, a little honesty and respect for our intelligence would be much better received. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Alatraveler1 said:

Heard May 29 sailing EPIC now has Corfu replaced with Katakolon.  Same multi-reason verbage in email as is standard.  Shore Excursions are not yet available to book for the new port.

We can recommend Niki at Olympic Tours for Katakolon  http://www.olympictours.gr/  Olympia is very close to the port of Katakolon and she does a great job. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Levanah said:

And from yet another senior couple, we are watching these port cancellations carefully.  We have cruised with NCL exclusively, but there are still destinations/ports we want to see.  We are still healthy, but as seniors, our cruising window is closing.  If we have to move to another line to see the places we want to experience, we will do so.  Even as we have made it to Sapphire.  

I do hope NCL is listening.

Yes, we also hope they are listening and will re-think what has obviously become a deliberate corporate policy.  Many of us could loose our ability to travel overnight with one bad diagnosis which, unfortunately, will turn up sooner or later.  Delivering bucket list destinations is important in this context.  We prefer cruising and enjoy our perks but now consider land options more often because the itineraries have become so unreliable and the destinations are the most important thing to us.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

Great post.  They get away with their nonsense because the vast majority of passengers take their excuses at face value and have no idea how to fact check them.  It all comes from above and is deliberately planned to save money at our expense.  You will only get blank looks from Guest Services.  I doubt they know much of anything.

Thank you Travelling2Some, and many of the following posters - Well done.

It is obvious you are NOT sheeples, well done indeed.

There are many sheeples out there who get "processed" by corporations, we see them here on CC. 90% of consumers are Sheeple.

Important - correspond with NCL, Oceania, Regent management and advise that they have lost your patronage due to their bull S cancel port decision.

Remember - you leaving has no value unless management gets much pushback.

You all notice, the most nasty creatures on a ship are the Guest Relations and the Excursions desk - all deliberate of course.

Get out of the NCL group and explore cruising and frankly, like I am doing now, customized land tours and Really see the world.

My travel $ have mostly left cruising and is moved to Globus, Trafalgar and a brand new Porsche to drive around North America.

There is an old saying from Ann Landers:

"No body abuses you with out YOU giving them your permission"

What ever you choose, analyze, and enjoy.

Blessings to all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Alatraveler1 said:

Heard May 29 sailing EPIC now has Corfu replaced with Katakolon.  Same multi-reason verbage in email as is standard.  Shore Excursions are not yet available to book for the new port.

Same with our 9/1 Getaway cruise. Just got notice yesterday that Thessaloniki is now replacing Volos, and all of the earlier port days and times have been reshuffled. No NCL excursions offered yet for 2 of the ports and the website remains unmodified.  In this instance, I think the changes are an improvement. However, it’s making this senior citizen woman scramble to change up specialty dining reservations and outside excursions. Keeping my fingers crossed that this is the last modification to the schedule! 

Edited by roddy good boy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, craig01020 said:

Same here. It's too bad because many other cruise lines have such unimaginative itineraries. On the other hand, it's nice that you can count on going where they say they will go.

I agree. We are booked on a 25 day B2B Asia cruise in Nov and Dec of next year. Before booking, I looked at the itineraries for several other lines and no one offered anything even close to the number of ports we are getting here. The same was true for the South Pacific cruise we just completed. So we are taking our chances with NCL and hoping for the best. I do wish we didn't have to worry about this and could just count on going to the ports we expected. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, QuestionEverything said:

My travel $ have mostly left cruising and is moved to Globus, Trafalgar and a brand new Porsche to drive around North America.

Any tour group in particular that you would recommend? Husband & I would like to take a land-based vacation to Spain next year.

3 hours ago, Jordan61 said:

Any tour group in particular that you would recommend? Husband & I would like to take a land-based vacation to Spain next year.

I did a Gate 1 tour in Spain with my daughter a couple of years ago. It was great. We also did a tour in China with Gate 1, and my husband and I did Peru last year. In each case, the tour was great and guides were excellent. They are a mid-level tour company, not luxury. For example, accommodations may be in an older hotel, not the Ritz. But they do an excellent job. We've used them three times and will do so again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, PartyPlannerLady said:

Wow!  I am not sure if before now I ever saw anyone complain about being goven $100 they were mot due ang did not deserve/  1st time for everything.

I can beat that - my Transpacific cruise in October (Alaska to Hawaii) just sent out an updated itinerary. Instead of a sea day before we get to Honolulu, we're arriving early afternoon the day before. Bring on the complaints about changes - affecting excursions no less!!

To be fair, I think they misread the changes, assuming the worst - and took down the post when it was pointed out that we were getting extra time in Honolulu and obviously excursions weren't affected.

And I'm assuming there will be no increase in port fees, at least not for anyone that is currently booked.  Fees/taxes that I assume will be higher due to docking overnight.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, julig22 said:

I can beat that - my Transpacific cruise in October (Alaska to Hawaii) just sent out an updated itinerary. Instead of a sea day before we get to Honolulu, we're arriving early afternoon the day before. Bring on the complaints about changes - affecting excursions no less!!

To be fair, I think they misread the changes, assuming the worst - and took down the post when it was pointed out that we were getting extra time in Honolulu and obviously excursions weren't affected.

And I'm assuming there will be no increase in port fees, at least not for anyone that is currently booked.  Fees/taxes that I assume will be higher due to docking overnight.

Then that’s not the same thing, at all, is it? It is a legitimate concern when ports are changed or dropped from the original itinerary. A host of witnesses, on this thread, have written about the reasons for their disappointments. It begins to feel like bait and switch when you contract for certain locations and are provided entirely different ones. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, roddy good boy said:

Then that’s not the same thing, at all, is it? It is a legitimate concern when ports are changed or dropped from the original itinerary. A host of witnesses, on this thread, have written about the reasons for their disappointments. It begins to feel like bait and switch when you contract for certain locations and are provided entirely different ones. 

I was responding to a specific comment. Sorry you didn't catch that.

5 hours ago, luckybecky said:

I did a Gate 1 tour in Spain with my daughter a couple of years ago. It was great. We also did a tour in China with Gate 1, and my husband and I did Peru last year. In each case, the tour was great and guides were excellent. They are a mid-level tour company, not luxury. For example, accommodations may be in an older hotel, not the Ritz. But they do an excellent job. We've used them three times and will do so again.

Agree with you that Gate1 though not a luxury company does an outstanding job. Their motto is more of the world for less, and they do live up to that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PartyPlannerLady said:

Wow!  I am not sure if before now I ever saw anyone complain about being goven $100 they were mot due ang did not deserve/  1st time for everything.

$100 doesn’t do anything for me when I’ve spent thousands booking a specific cruise for specific ports.

If you bought tickets for an expensive concert then show up and it is someone else, wouldn’t you be upset?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

We did a Gate 1 trip to Rome about 15 years ago and were very pleased with the value and quality.  I find myself looking more frequently these days at what Gate 1 is offering.  No - not a luxury product, but perfectly fine and they seem to be consistent over time.  Have been loyal to NCL but following their changes and missteps much more closely now.  After following the current live Prima thread, I can’t help but feel a little wary about what we might experience after we embark on her in Southampton 12 May.  

• Like 5

6 hours ago, PartyPlannerLady said:

The dissatisfaction arises from the removal of Tortola and the reduction in port time at St. Thomas, with the original arrival time shifted from 11 am to 1 pm, affecting five sailings.

The exclusion of Tortola isn't due to weather or safety concerns but rather appears to be part of NCL's standard messaging for skipped ports, which seems dishonest. Many passengers, including ourselves, would have reconsidered booking had we known about these changes before final payment.

The $100 onboard credit is insufficient for a 7-day cruise now heavily reliant on sea days, potentially extending to 4.5 days if Great Stirrup Cay is skipped due to weather. Numerous comments reflect the frustration of loyal NCL customers seeking transparency and truthfulness, as ongoing itinerary alterations erode trust in the company's integrity driven by cost-cutting motives that happened after we committed thousands of dollars for multiple cabins to cruise with family members who have never been to these ports. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Jordan61 said:

Morning Jordan61.

Both Trafalgar and Globus are upper middle level companies that focus on North American guests, so they know the expectations. Their tours are comparable in itinerary and close in pricing.

I have done Globus extensively. The buses are Not full, so not crowded, they rotate seating every day so no one hogs the front. Your main luggage is picked up at your room and taken to the bus. About a 1/3 of the time, you remain 2 nights in one location, so it is not moving every day.

Always free afternoons or mornings in the schedule and depending upon location they may include a regionally specific meal with 2 included drinks. All one's attraction admission costs are included in the price. 

In June, we are doing a 24 day Globus tour of all of Great Britain, all 5 countries including ferry to and from Ireland. Once back to London, going to Southampton, doing the Ise of Wright, then taking the QM2 back to NY!!!!. A most fabulous trip. This itinerary is very complete in terms of seeing the main cities/towns and attractions.

I know that many cruise addicts diss bus tours, however, if you want to Really see and experience the world, it is the only way to travel.

Bus travel and vehicle travel is by far my favorite way to see the world, cruising not so much. There are some places best seen by ship, South America/Panama/ Alaska etc, but not everywhere.

Hope this is of assistance to you.

We are not guaranteed our next breath, so Get R Done indeed whatever mode of travel works best for You - it is all about You.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do go on a cruise with the basic notion that we might not be able to go where the itinerary says. But I use cruises as a "sampler" for "Do I want to come back here by airplane and do an in-depth vacation here?" 

We're booked on the Prima for the Southampton/Norway/Iceland itinerary and I have my fingers very crossed that we'll be able to port at Geiranger. I booked an NCL excursion at Isafjordur, so that it will be easily refunded when the Prima somehow doesn't manage to make it. Most everything else is "get off the ship, walk to here, look at that, check this museum, eat at cafe" kind of stuff. 

I've been watching the Prima Live TA thread and, aside from embarkation chaos, am somewhat worried about the lines and waiting times for the MDR and specialty restaurants. And that they tried to cram the Latitude party in a small space. Another trepidation I have is that when I check the actual port schedules on the port websites, a few of them have the Prima coming and leaving at different times than our itinerary.

Got a very cheap price for our itinerary, though, so... Here's hoping.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, QuestionEverything said:

We are not guaranteed our next breath, so Get R Done indeed whatever mode of travel works best for You - it is all about You.

Thank you so much! Your Great Britian tour sounds fantastic!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, QuestionEverything said:

Morning Jordan61.

Both Trafalgar and Globus are upper middle level companies that focus on North American guests, so they know the expectations. Their tours are comparable in itinerary and close in pricing.

I have done Globus extensively. The buses are Not full, so not crowded, they rotate seating every day so no one hogs the front. Your main luggage is picked up at your room and taken to the bus. About a 1/3 of the time, you remain 2 nights in one location, so it is not moving every day.

Always free afternoons or mornings in the schedule and depending upon location they may include a regionally specific meal with 2 included drinks. All one's attraction admission costs are included in the price. 

In June, we are doing a 24 day Globus tour of all of Great Britain, all 5 countries including ferry to and from Ireland. Once back to London, going to Southampton, doing the Ise of Wright, then taking the QM2 back to NY!!!!. A most fabulous trip. This itinerary is very complete in terms of seeing the main cities/towns and attractions.

I know that many cruise addicts diss bus tours, however, if you want to Really see and experience the world, it is the only way to travel.

Bus travel and vehicle travel is by far my favorite way to see the world, cruising not so much. There are some places best seen by ship, South America/Panama/ Alaska etc, but not everywhere.

Great to hear first hand about the Globus and Trafalgar companies although I was somewhat aware of them.  Your trip in June does sound MOST FABULOUS!  

Several years ago, we did a bus tour of Scotland from the Little Red Bus company.  I’m not sure if they are still running.  It was one of the best travel experiences we have ever had and the kilt-clad guide was entertaining and informative.

Yes, our senior years are ALL ABOUT US and we will make the best of them with or without NCL.  While it may be my imagination and sensitivity that often comes with aging, I get the feeling that NCL is willing to write off senior travelers even those in higher priority Latitude groups.  If that feeling persists backed up with their current policy, changes, we won’t hesitate to jump ship (so to speak).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Levanah said:

We did a Gate 1 trip to Rome about 15 years ago and were very pleased with the value and quality.  I find myself looking more frequently these days at what Gate 1 is offering.  No - not a luxury product, but perfectly fine and they seem to be consistent over time.  Have been loyal to NCL but following their changes and missteps much more closely now.  After following the current live Prima thread, I can’t help but feel a little wary about what we might experience after we embark on her in Southampton 12 May.  

Just to add what has been said (including earlier by me), Gate 1 is great at efficiently following details. Plus, you really get the sense that their employees and local guides really give the impression that they love what they are doing. They also rotate seats on buses. Everyone gets headphones so as to make sure they can hear the guides.

As for your cruise from Southampton, we did the same cruise last summer. And even though we missed Isafjordur (like everyone else) and Brugge (low tides) we had a great time. You will read both positives and negative review of the ship, especially because it is different than earlier NCL ships. Go with the attitude that you will have a wonderful cruise as opposed to looking what could go wrong, and you should have a wonderful time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, QuestionEverything said:

Morning Jordan61.

I thank you for these land based tour companies! We spent our younger years flying to Europe, Africa, etc. with just maps, guide books and enthusiasm! Half of the fun was researching and preparing for the trips. That is all beyond me now. I welcome an itinerary and experienced guide. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ellis1138 said:

I do go on a cruise with the basic notion that we might not be able to go where the itinerary says. But I use cruises as a "sampler" for "Do I want to come back here by airplane and do an in-depth vacation here?" 

We're booked on the Prima for the Southampton/Norway/Iceland itinerary and I have my fingers very crossed that we'll be able to port at Geiranger. I booked an NCL excursion at Isafjordur, so that it will be easily refunded when the Prima somehow doesn't manage to make it. Most everything else is "get off the ship, walk to here, look at that, check this museum, eat at cafe" kind of stuff. 

I've been watching the Prima Live TA thread and, aside from embarkation chaos, am somewhat worried about the lines and waiting times for the MDR and specialty restaurants. And that they tried to cram the Latitude party in a small space. Another trepidation I have is that when I check the actual port schedules on the port websites, a few of them have the Prima coming and leaving at different times than our itinerary.

Got a very cheap price for our itinerary, though, so... Here's hoping.

You probably have read this caution elsewhere, but it bears repeating.  The Pr1ma is not a cold weather ship.  A great deal of emphasis was placed on outdoor venues on this ship.  In cold, damp, or dreary weather, all those passengers who otherwise would be basking in the sun while sipping cocktails or enjoying snacks on deck are forced inside.  It can be quite crowded in some of the venues.  The Indulge Food Hall is a prime example.  The Pr1ma is a beautiful ship, but when we sailed on an itinerary similar to yours the week after Pr1ma's inaugural voyage, it sometimes was a zoo inside, very crowded and with less than stellar service times.  I hope you enjoy your journey, but please be prepared for crowds.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Just to add what has been said (including earlier by me), Gate 1 is great at efficiently following details. Plus, you really get the sense that their employees and local guides really give the impression that they love what they are doing. They also rotate seats on buses. Everyone gets headphones so as to make sure they can hear the guides.

As for your cruise from Southampton, we did the same cruise last summer. And even though we missed Isafjordur (like everyone else) and Brugge (low tides) we had a great time. You will read both positives and negative review of the ship, especially because it is different than earlier NCL ships. Go with the attitude that you will have a wonderful cruise as opposed to looking what could go wrong, and you should have a wonderful time.

Thanks for info. I’m going to check them out! I was looking at Northern European cruise that had Le Harve as a port as DDay landing beaches are on the bucket list! I’m not comfortable plunking down thousands of dollars on a cruise with no guarantee I’d actually get the port. 
A nice Paris/Normandy land tour is looking better and better 

• Like 1