Return to HAL in the new normal

Posted (edited)

Well here I am on the Koningsdam on my first HAL cruise since 2018.

The pax count on the ship is 2704. Official capacity is 2650. It does not feel maxed out or over and we have not hit a port yet so what we see is what we get:

Due to scheduling etc, my last 4 cruises before the pandemic were on Princess. For context I am 100 plus days with HAL though. 
So here we go!

I AM SO HAPPY TO BE BACK!!

The HAL crew I knew and loved are here. The HAL food quality I so loved remains. 

I’ve done fixed dining, pinnacle lunch, sashayed through the Lido and grazed on my pals’ dive in orders. Just enjoyed a NY deli pizza that is coming back to my room in the form of leftovers for late night snack.

The crew on this ship is happy. I know that in the scheme of things that energy in a workplace comes from the top.

This rings true here. My traveling friends and I ended up by the NY deli to play dice at 930 pm and I ordered a pizza on the app while we sat. Who was standing at the pickup counter when I went to retrieve my order but the Captain himself checking in with passengers and also chatting with staff. 

We have set dining, and an early booking HIA and more package. 

Every single interaction I have had in our first two days has been positive. The crew is genuinely happy and so am I. 

The food in every venue is great. Yes, some of the complimentary items from the before times in the MDR are gone (crab, lobster) but the choices that remain are lovely and the quality is excellent, Tonight I had the rack of lamb and it was lovely.

Towel animals and bedtime turndown chocolates still are making appearances. 

My cruising happy place lives on. Thank you HAL. I get that the businesses must evolve and pivot. HAL you’ve done well.

I’ve put in for multiple FCDs already and I plan to use them.

Edited by shipmeoff!
Typo
  • Like 40
  • Thanks 5

• shipmeoff! changed the title to Return to HAL in the new normal

Welcome back!  We spent 35 nights on the Koningsdam last Spring, and it is a happy ship! We will board the Noordam next Sunday... our favorite class on HAL.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, julia said:

Welcome back!  We spent 35 nights on the Koningsdam last Spring, and it is a happy ship! We will board the Noordam next Sunday... our favorite class on HAL.

Most of my HAL time has been on Zaandam so I was a little scared size wise for sure but this has been a great reintroduction…

• Like 1

8 hours ago, shipmeoff! said:

Most of my HAL time has been on Zaandam so I was a little scared size wise for sure but this has been a great reintroduction…

We were used to the “smaller” ships on HAL and our first time on the Koningsdam was years back when she was fairly new.  I was nervous about getting on such a “large” ship but loved her.  (We had originally been booked on the NA for 21 days but it was charted out so we were switched at no extra cost to the Koningsdam). 

We also were on her for 35 days in February and it was excellent.  Totally agree the staff are happy, the food was great including the pay restaurants.  

So happy to hear you’re back cruising & enjoying the ship.  My favourite spot is the Dutch Cafe.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, canadianbear said:

...So happy to hear you’re back cruising & enjoying the ship.  My favourite spot is the Dutch Cafe.  

Mine too! Grand Dutch Cafe is an excellent alternative for lunch and convenient for special coffee.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Mine too! Grand Dutch Cafe is an excellent alternative for lunch and convenient for special coffee.

I think I used my HIA for their lattes more than boozy drinks 😁

• Like 5

3 hours ago, canadianbear said:

I think I used my HIA for their lattes more than boozy drinks 😁

It would be beyond disappointing to be on a ship w/o GDC and have the Crow's Nest closed off each afternoon/evening so I could not get my favorite lattes as being reported on another thread.

That seriously would bite.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

It would be beyond disappointing to be on a ship w/o GDC and have the Crow's Nest closed off each afternoon/evening so I could not get my favorite lattes as being reported on another thread.

That seriously would bite.

I’d be choked too!  Love my fix.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2024 at 11:19 PM, shipmeoff! said:

Sounds like you're having fun, yay!  We were on the Zaandam earlier this year and really liked it. We're going to be on the Westerdam later this year so just a small step up in size.

You mentioned knowing the passenger count, where did you get that info?  I'll be curious to see what it is for the Westerdam when we head out.

• Like 1

We have cruised with HAL on most of there ships,and we have to agree that the Kongisdam is the most happy ship.We did the 35 day south pacific and it was the most happy,fun and easy going cruise we have ever been on.

• Like 1

Our first voyage on a Pinnacle class ship was Koningsdam in the Eastern Med and it was perhaps the best cruise we have taken in Europe.  The Pinnacle class are our favorite ships now less the design of the promenade deck for walking.  The ability to get a good amidships verandah with a full sized balcony (not a suite) is a big one for us.  Love Deck 6.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, hummingbird_206 said:

Sounds like you're having fun, yay!  We were on the Zaandam earlier this year and really liked it. We're going to be on the Westerdam later this year so just a small step up in size.

You mentioned knowing the passenger count, where did you get that info?  I'll be curious to see what it is for the Westerdam when we head out.

Guest services has this info. I find it super interesting!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shipmeoff! said:

Guest services has this info. I find it super interesting!

I think it's super interesting, too!  So I just go to the Guest Services desk and ask and they'll give me the info?  That's very good to know and I will for sure ask.

• Like 1