Celebrity and Silversea questions

After many cruises with Celebrity and RCCL we are considering trying Silversea (or Viking) for an "elevated" experience on a European cruise. I am seeing conflicting info on the Celebrity and Silversea websites. For Captain's Club members (Elite Plus), is there a status match for Silversea cruises? If so, how do I sign up for the Silversea Venetian Society program? Can I book a future Silversea cruise while onboard a Celebrity cruise and receive an OBC perk? Is Silversea truly worth a higher cost for an 8-night cruise versus a cheaper 10-night Ascent cruise in a Retreat Sky Suite? Also wondering how Viking compares in terms of overall experience (price point somewhat similar to Sky Suite). We were all set to book a similar itinerary with Regent but, unfortunately, that particular ship got horrible reviews on Cruise Critic. 

We have done X and SS. To my knowledge, there is no reciprocity between X and SS in terms of loyalty programs.  It wouldn’t matter anyway - everything on SS is included.  But I don’t think your SS cruise accrues points for X. 

I’ve never heard of an OBC for booking SS while on X.  They are owned by the same company but, as noted, still generally operated separately. You really don’t need OBC on SS other than for the spa or a couple of specialty restaurants. We typically see those who have it in the gift shop at the end of the cruise trying to use it. 

We have cruises X many times. Our last cruise with them is next month.  We prefer SS for the following reasons:

1. All inclusive experience. Other than spa, you pay for nothing once on board.  And no attempts to separate you from your money. 
2. Fewer kids.  Often none. 
3. Better service.  And much more personalized.
4. Less crowded ships. 

5. Better food without having to pay for specialty restaurants 

SS ships are small we, but we prefer that. You sacrifice entertainment and stuff like rock- climbing walls.  Not a sacrifice for us. And cabins on X are bigger for same price.  We had a choice between a cheaper X cruise to Japan next year or SS. Not even close - we ‘re on X.

I don’t believe Viking is as AI as SS.  For example, I think drinks are only free at meals.  But defer to a Viking “pro” on this point.  

There is no way to sign up for Venetian Society - you get enrolled after your first cruise. However, if you find a current member, they do have a referral program where you both get a cruise discount (I can't remember how much it is - maybe $250 each).

Silversea is definitely worth it if you value the excursions. If you don't care about them, the value proposition is lower.

We only have one SS cruise under our belts, but will be back.

12 hours ago, OceanCruise said:

After many cruises with Celebrity and RCCL we are considering trying Silversea (or Viking) for an "elevated" experience on a European cruise. I am seeing conflicting info on the Celebrity and Silversea websites. For Captain's Club members (Elite Plus), is there a status match for Silversea cruises? 

what are you seeing? Can you provide a link to this conflicting information?  I have never seen anything to indicate any reciprocity, and in fact, as others have stated, there is none, but I would be interested to know what you have read to the contrary.

This is from the Silversea website about status matching:

https://www.silversea.com/travel-informations/faq.html

How do I enroll in the sister program to qualify for status matching?

Venetian Society members can call at the time of booking to enroll:

Enroll Royal Caribbean Crown & Anchor Society
North America (800) 526-9723
Outside of North America (541) 285-9723 (charges may apply)
Open Monday through Friday, 9 AM-9 PM ET and Saturday through Sunday 9 AM-6 PM ET

Enroll Celebrity Cruises Captain’s Club
North America 1-800-760-0654
Outside of North America 1-316-554-5961 (charges may apply)
Open 24 hours

Members of Royal Caribbean Crown & Anchor Society or Celebrity Cruises Captain’s Club:

Enroll in Venetian Society through their respective brand apps

How do I qualify for the new Loyalty Status Match program?
You must be 18 years of age and enrolled in the loyalty program of each brand where you wish to have your status matched.

Can I match my status across all three Royal Caribbean Group brands at once?
Upon joining each brand's loyalty program, your status will be matched. If you're currently a member of more than one Royal Caribbean Group brand’s loyalty program, your status will be updated automatically within 5-7 business days.

Are there any exclusions for certain loyalty tiers in the Status Match program?
Yes, both the Pre-Gold tier in Royal Caribbean's Crown & Anchor Society and the Preview tier in Celebrity Cruises Captain's Club are excluded.

When can I start to enjoy Status Match benefits?
Venetian Society onboard benefits effective on sailings departing June 5, 2024, and onward. Venetian Society Member Savings (5% and 10%) applicable on new voyages booked after May 30, 2024.

If I am on a voyage that started prior to May 30, 2024, and I qualify for Status Match benefit starting May 30, 2024, can I enjoy those benefits on that voyage?
No, Venetian Society onboard benefits effective on sailings departing June 5, 2024, and onward. Venetian Society Member Savings (5% and 10%) applicable on new voyages booked after May 30, 2024.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, ggo85 said:

We have done X and SS. To my knowledge, there is no reciprocity between X and SS in terms of loyalty programs.  It wouldn’t matter anyway - everything on SS is included.  But I don’t think your SS cruise accrues points for X. 

I’ve never heard of an OBC for booking SS while on X.  They are owned by the same company but, as noted, still generally operated separately. You really don’t need OBC on SS other than for the spa or a couple of specialty restaurants. We typically see those who have it in the gift shop at the end of the cruise trying to use it. 

We have cruises X many times. Our last cruise with them is next month.  We prefer SS for the following reasons:

1. All inclusive experience. Other than spa, you pay for nothing once on board.  And no attempts to separate you from your money. 
4. Less crowded ships. 

SS ships are small we, but we prefer that. You sacrifice entertainment and stuff like rock- climbing walls.  Not a sacrifice for us. And cabins on X are bigger for same price.  We had a choice between a cheaper X cruise to Japan next year or SS. Not even close - we ‘re on X.

I don’t believe Viking is as AI as SS.  For example, I think drinks are only free at meals.  But defer to a Viking “pro” on this point.  

Where are the rock climbing walls on Celebrity ships?  I must have missed that.  

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, OceanCruise said:

Open Monday through Friday, 9 AM-9 PM ET and Saturday through Sunday 9 AM-6 PM ET

Open 24 hours

Members of Royal Caribbean Crown & Anchor Society or Celebrity Cruises Captain’s Club:

You must be 18 years of age and enrolled in the loyalty program of each brand where you wish to have your status matched.

Upon joining each brand's loyalty program, your status will be matched. If you're currently a member of more than one Royal Caribbean Group brand’s loyalty program, your status will be updated automatically within 5-7 business days.

Yes, both the Pre-Gold tier in Royal Caribbean's Crown & Anchor Society and the Preview tier in Celebrity Cruises Captain's Club are excluded.

Venetian Society onboard benefits effective on sailings departing June 5, 2024, and onward. Venetian Society Member Savings (5% and 10%) applicable on new voyages booked after May 30, 2024.

If I am on a voyage that started prior to May 30, 2024, and I qualify for Status Match benefit starting May 30, 2024, can I enjoy those benefits on that voyage?
No, Venetian Society onboard benefits effective on sailings departing June 5, 2024, and onward. Venetian Society Member Savings (5% and 10%) applicable on new voyages booked after May 30, 2024.

So, what will members of Venetian Society get if they sail on Celebrity or Royal and vice versa?  How will the status match work?  Does anyone have any details?

1 hour ago, OceanCruise said:

Open 24 hours

I'm sailing on SS on May 27,2024! Bummer.

Helpful info. Thank you. When you drill down it says you need your Venetian Club number to get status match. I believe that is not issued until after your first SS cruise so it appears that you have to sail with SS first to have a status match. Please correct me if I a wrong (which would be great as I have a first time SS Antarctica cruise on Silver Endeavour in 2026). Thanks much. 

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Katsings01 said:

Helpful info. Thank you. When you drill down it says you need your Venetian Club number to get status match. I believe that is not issued until after your first SS cruise so it appears that you have to sail with SS first to have a status match. Please correct me if I a wrong (which would be great as I have a first time SS Antarctica cruise on Silver Endeavour in 2026). Thanks much. 

I read it the same way.  Also, my understanding is status with one line doesn't advance you on the others.  So SS is calling it "status match" but I don't see any benefit.

Screen Shot 2024-05-02 at 11.10.04 AM.png

Edited by mchell810

I’ve done a bunch of SS cruises, with my kids (sorry lol) and doing our first Celebrity July 25 so can’t compare yet.  Like many lines SS, is slowly cutting back while still charging a fortune.  Sure the excursions are “included” but they recently made a huge cut back on the included excursions whereby most are simple walking tours from the pier or similar.  They select excursions are the better ones and cost has increased dramatically.  If you were to go, choose the most basic fare without the extras is my advice. 

17 hours ago, ggo85 said:

4. Less crowded ships. 

Just got back from 14-days in Japan on Silver Muse. What a fabulous cruise destination and what a great cruise line to do it with. One important thing to consider is the number of pax on your ship that you will be sharing port visits with. IMO, X has far too many pax for many of the smaller ports of call in Japan. 

8 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

Just got back from 14-days in Japan on Silver Muse. What a fabulous cruise destination and what a great cruise line to do it with. One important thing to consider is the number of pax on your ship that you will be sharing port visits with. IMO, X has far too many pax for many of the smaller ports of call in Japan. 

Glad you had a great time. I really wanted to do SS Japan next year but the timing doesn’t work out with the kids school schedule so went with celebrity as they go in July and SS doesn’t.  The one good thing is it’s well over $20k less so that helps. 

We've done only one SS cruise: an expedition to Antarctica. It was extraordinary! We will do another SS expedition to the Arctic next month. 

We were not able to take advantage pf the new Status Match, however, they have just recently added an OBC for shareholders. We will get $100 for our cabin, and nothing for our adult children's cabin (just as it is on X). We will likely use it to offset the cost of a meal in La Dame for PapaFej's 60th birthday. 

31 minutes ago, gcornell said:

Glad you had a great time. I really wanted to do SS Japan next year but the timing doesn’t work out with the kids school schedule so went with celebrity as they go in July and SS doesn’t.  The one good thing is it’s well over $20k less so that helps. 

Much cheaper on X that SS for sure -- especillly if travelling with kids. We have never taken our kids (now grown up) on ultra-luxury lines like SS, Seabourn and Regent, but have done a number of family cruises on X, NCL, Carnival, Princess and RCL with them. 

38 minutes ago, gcornell said:

That’s quite a big difference, I’ve never found it that large when comparing suite to suite and remember that the SS price is out the door, so to speak. No adding of taxes, port fees, gratuities. Also, you have to compare to the SS port to port pricing or else add airfare, etc. to the Celebrity price.

2 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

I’m still confused.  Say you have a Venetian number and you are going to cruise on Celebrity. What level would you be? What would it get you!

I don’t think they’ve announced it, but Silversea’s first level over its initial level is 100 days. That would put it in the D/D+, E/E+ area.

17 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

That’s quite a big difference, I’ve never found it that large when comparing suite to suite and remember that the SS price is out the door, so to speak. No adding of taxes, port fees, gratuities. Also, you have to compare to the SS port to port pricing or else add airfare, etc. to the Celebrity price.

Don’t forget I need 2 cabins. 

5 minutes ago, gcornell said:

Don’t forget I need 2 cabins. 

I imagine there are similar cruises with a $10,000 per cabin difference, but I’ve never seen one, and I think it’s more the exception than the rule.

Of course, unlike with you, we’re pretty flexible and I compare the best pricing I can find with the best pricing I can find.

Was also looking at Silversea for an upgraded experience. While i realize you can;t believe everything you read, I saw a preponderence of negative comments on both the food and the excursions. After experiencing the "all included" tours from Oceania and Viking, and reading the SS itineraries, red flags went off. Wasn't about to roll the dice on two or three or more times the cost of Celebrity. Be happy to hear from people that have taken SS in the past year.