Random Breakaway ?s for recent pax - GSC tenders, Glow/White parties, Ocean Blue or Bistro?

Hi guys!  It's been 5 years plus I think since last NCL cruise.  Breakaway has been getting some iffy reviews but I had a good time on the Escape and Bliss back when.  I've never been to GSC....... maybe spoiled by CocoCay.  How bad is the tendering on this "bigger" ship?  I'm guessing either super early or super late for tenders.  I'm bad about waiting around in lines nowadays, especially if hot. Sailing without any perks or priority.

Are there any Glow parties or White parties outside where might want to pack all white or neon? 

Any need to get reservations for Burn the Floor when get onboard (do they even take reservations?), not able to make them in the app. I'm guessing not needed.

Only doing one specialty restaurant and it's between Ocean Blue or Le Bistro if anyone has recent experience and opinions?

Any other tips or recommendations related to this ship specifically or NCL/GSC for someone who hasn't sailed in awhile?

We do have the drink package (like most it seems these days) and some of the reviews mentioned lines and waits for drinks so that's a bummer but perhaps better for my liver.  

Thanks everyone for any info you can provide. 🙂 

3 minutes ago, SAmome said:

Hi guys!  It's been 5 years plus I think since last NCL cruise.  Breakaway has been getting some iffy reviews but I had a good time on the Escape and Bliss back when.  I've never been to GSC....... maybe spoiled by CocoCay.  How bad is the tendering on this "bigger" ship?  I'm guessing either super early or super late for tenders.  I'm bad about waiting around in lines nowadays, especially if hot. Sailing without any perks or priority.

Are there any Glow parties or White parties outside where might want to pack all white or neon? 

Any need to get reservations for Burn the Floor when get onboard (do they even take reservations?), not able to make them in the app. I'm guessing not needed.

Only doing one specialty restaurant and it's between Ocean Blue or Le Bistro if anyone has recent experience and opinions?

Any other tips or recommendations related to this ship specifically or NCL/GSC for someone who hasn't sailed in awhile?

We do have the drink package (like most it seems these days) and some of the reviews mentioned lines and waits for drinks so that's a bummer but perhaps better for my liver.  

Those questions do not appear random at all.  They seem to be the specific questions you would like answered! 🙂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SAmome said:

We're going on the Breakaway in a couple of weeks, so I can only answer this one. Reservations can be made on the app starting at 21 days out.

32 minutes ago, Jordan61 said:

We're going on the Breakaway in a couple of weeks, so I can only answer this one. Reservations can be made on the app starting at 21 days out.

Interesting.  I think mine has always shown "Not available to book." for Burn the Floor. Not sure if that means it was never available or sold out.  

Sailed the Breakaway in Feb of this year, and yes: definitely take the "iffy" reviews with a grain of salt. The ship was very clean, well-maintained, and just generally cared for.  We went somewhat off-season during mid-Feb, so the ship didn't *seem* overcrowded. We always found deck chairs together - there are a lot of areas and multiple decks to choose from, if you're OK with not being pool-side.

Some of the Qs I don't have answers to, but here's my 2c:

Yes: there was a Glow Party onboard, hosted at the Spice20 deck area (off limits to under 18s, which was enforced at the sliding door).  Didn't see a White party, sorry!

We did eat at both Ocean Blue and Le Bistro, and definitely rec Le Bistro over Ocean Blue.  The Ocean Blue area is shared with a number of other restaurants, with wide-open pathing into the main thoroughfare, so Ocean Blue didn't have an enclosed/restaurant vibe, at all. The food and menu was good, but not noteworthy.  I remember feeling like I should have chosen a different place. Le Bistro, however, was a lovely little enclosed space on a lower deck, much more intimate and felt more like fine dining. A much better total dinner experience, with a very good menu. Both of us suggested to go back on our next cruise. Plus 'technically' it's the only place onboard where they serve Veuve Clicquot!

• Like 1

We sailed Breakaway in Jan 2023, and Dec 2023 (Xmas cruise).

I would select Le Bistro over Ocean Blue.  But, we live on the FL coast, and have a selection of fresh seafood when we go out.  We don't have french restaurants.  You can only get escargot at Le Bistro.  I actually enjoy the pork chop there, and desserts are great.

Glow party will be advertised in the daily and on info channel on the room TV.  Always on Spice H2O deck at night, weather permitting.

GSC is not a tender port, it has a traditional dock, although fairly long.  

You should be able to get reservations to BTF on embarkation day, just use the large screens near forward and aft elevators.  Realize this does NOT save you a specific seat, just allows you to enter earlier than 10 minutes (stand by time) before showtime.  If you want prime seats, simply make the reservation and get there 30+ minutes before show time. 

Waiting for a drink is up to you.  Atrium bar at night will be crowded due to events in atrium.  Pool bars on sea days in nice weather will be crowded.  Other bars may or may not be crowded due to time of day and location.  During sail away, most will be crowded due to people waiting for rooms to be opened.

7 minutes ago, Panhandle Couple said:

We sailed Breakaway in Jan 2023, and Dec 2023 (Xmas cruise).

GSC is not a tender port, it has a traditional dock, although fairly long.  

When did they finish the dock. It wasn’t there in January 2024. 

46 minutes ago, Panhandle Couple said:

Guess I got confused that with Harvest Caye, which we visited on our 2 BA cruises.

It has been announced they have permission to add a pier for docking at GSC.  Unfortunately, that will not be ready for awhile.

We prefer the Ocean Blue menu over Le Bistro, but that's personal preference. And, both have great desserts!    If you go to Le Bistro, the Mushroom soup is excellent😎

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, SAmome said:

Been on Breakaway twice.  Have done both Le Bistro and Ocean Blue.  Le Bistro by far.  The thermador is well worth the upcharge.  The Pear Helene is fantastic.

Our next cruise is Encore and wife has already  told me to book Le Bistro again.

Edited by RocketMan275

On 5/2/2024 at 6:59 PM, pettygirl said:

Le Bistro, however, was a lovely little enclosed space on a lower deck, much more intimate and felt more like fine dining. A much better total dinner experience, with a very good menu. Both of us suggested to go back on our next cruise. Plus 'technically' it's the only place onboard where they serve Veuve Clicquot!

The tiered drink package is new to me on this cruise.  Can you order something from the premium list, like this, and pay some sort of upcharge to get a glass?  Thanks.

yes, if you have the regular UB (ultimate beverage) package, order any drink over $15, and you will only pay the additional cost above $15, plus 20% gratuity on the overage.

order an $18 drink, for instance, and you'll pay $3.00 plus $0.60 gratuity for a total of $3.60.

• Like 1

The BA has been getting iffy reviews since start.  Ok, to be fair none I've seen iffy recent years.

Normal complaint is crowded public areas.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dexddd said:

The BA has been getting iffy reviews since start.  Ok, to be fair none I've seen iffy recent years.

Normal complaint is crowded public areas.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/cruise/norwegian-ncl/norwegian-breakaway/reviews

I only looked as far as this site and, ouch.  I skipped the featured review from June 22 and read Mar/Apr 24 reviews and it probably helps me lower my expectations and increase patience.  Lots of references to lines.  I've never done GSC either, sort of accustom to CC and walking off the pier so tendering on a big ship might be a drag.  But, hey, not at work right?

On 5/2/2024 at 1:51 PM, SAmome said:

Don’t believe everything you read on the internet. mostly Fake News. We’ve

been on the breakaway about 6 times and she’s a good ship. 

You pull a tender ticket/boarding group number once you are onboard. They board by group number. They eventually will call open tendering around lunch time where no reservation is required. 

Without a reservation, you may have to wait until 10 min before show time and take whatever seats the people with tickets didn’t want. 

Ocean Blue has fallen down our list after numerous issues every time we ate there last year. Le Bistro would be our choice. 

wrt lines at bars, people just like to complain. If there is a line at a bar, there is another bar within 1 min walk with no line. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SAmome said:

I skipped the featured review from June 22 and read Mar/Apr 24 reviews

reviews from march and april typically are from those who were on cruises corresponding with spring break and/or easter. the ship is likely to have been way over capacity, with as much as 25% or more of passengers being kids and young adults. that may account for the reviews that mention crowding and lines.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/2/2024 at 1:51 PM, SAmome said:

Just got back on Sunday 5/19 from a week on the Breakaway. Can't answer the question about the tender as we had priority because we booked a cabana.  I believe there was a Glow party didn't see anything for a White party.  We had no problem getting a reservation for Burn the Floor, while on the ship, it's a not to be missed show!  Didn't go to either of those 2 restaurants.  Never waited more than 5 minutes for a drink.