Is the new "Fresh" fish ever found in the Pinnacle or Rudi's or is it just in the main dining room and Club orange?

I think Rudy’s has always done that, but it didn’t really ever mean that it was that fresh because they would do it even in the middle of the ocean

Just now, tgetz said:

I think Rudy’s has always done that, but it didn’t really ever mean that it was that fresh because they would do it even in the middle of the ocean

Doesn't matter...all proteins have been frozen.

Posted (edited)

I believe all the fish in the Pinnacle & probably Rudi’s is frozen.  The Pinnacle only serves Salmon and Halibut, not available fresh in many ports.  Rudi’s may occasionally be able to source fresh fish However, when in a port where fresh fish is available, it is sourced by the executive chef.  Here is a photo I took in Montevideo in February showing fresh fish being delivered.  I spoke to the chef; it was served in the Lido and MDR the next day and it was delicious.IMG_9063.thumb.jpeg.77eea12c5f211c2b3df78990f24695c7.jpeg

Edited by 0106
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do understand but just wondering if they had fresher fresh fish sometimes in the specially restaurants now

2 hours ago, tgetz said:

I do understand but just wondering if they had fresher fresh fish sometimes in the specially restaurants now

I had what was offered as 'fresh' Arctic Char in Rudi's, on the Nieuw Statendam once. It was delicious! The ship was heading to Greenland and Iceland, via Canadian Maritimes, from Boston. I didn't see any fishing rods off the stern, but the fish sure tasted 'fresh'. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 0106 said:

I believe all the fish in the Pinnacle & probably Rudi’s is frozen.  The Pinnacle only serves Salmon and Halibut, not available fresh in many ports.  Rudi’s may occasionally be able to source fresh fish However, when in a port where fresh fish is available, it is sourced by the executive chef.  Here is a photo I took in Montevideo in February showing fresh fish being delivered.  I spoke to the chef; it was served in the Lido and MDR the next day and it was delicious.IMG_9063.thumb.jpeg.77eea12c5f211c2b3df78990f24695c7.jpeg

It looks to me that the fish in the boxes to the immediate rear of the truck are sitting in ice. The one box further away doesn't appear to be iced, but could still be frozen.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

The one box further away doesn't appear to be iced, but could still be frozen.

It was raining; I took the picture through the “glass” beside the bar at the Seaview pool.  You can see the raindrops on the photo. I watched the entire process. All the fish was on ice.  There were no boxes of frozen fish. The fish was removed from the bins of ice and placed on the scale that the man in the yellow vest is leaning over.  The chef is wearing the orange vest.  I spoke to the chef about an hour later; he was extremely excited that they were able to obtain this fresh, not previously frozen, catch. 

• Like 6

Thank you 0106.  Love your great photos and personal report.  I think we all would expect fresh fish to be resting on ice.  I had scallops one night in the Pinnacle so they may offer other fish, but others may be considered shell fish.  I really should have tried more fresh fish options. Cherie

• Like 1

For Alaska, HAL is certified that only FRESH, local, and sustainable seafood is served on the ship everywhere. They were very proud and loud to announce that. I don’t believe it applies to any other regions.