Can assigned "Guaranteed" rooms change after assigned?

Posted (edited)

If you book a guaranteed room and are immediately assigned the lowest suite level room, should we assume this is a done deal?  I am specifically interested in knowing if anyone has experienced the guaranteed assigned room number changing after assigned?  Thanks in advance for sharing your own experience with this question.  

Cheers!

🍷

Edited by Sam.Seattle
typo

• Sam.Seattle changed the title to Can assigned "Guaranteed" rooms change after assigned?
Posted (edited)

I booked a GTY concierge class cabin, then wanted to pay extra and move to another non-GTY cabin.  GTY was the only cabin class available!  My cabin was not assigned yet.  The supervisor tried for 30 minutes to make the change with my TA, but it would not allow me to move.  There is no reason why this should happen, but for some unknown reason it did.  You should be able to change suites in the same category, or pay to move to a different category at the prevailing price.  I will not ever book a GTY gain due to my personal experience.  You have always been able to stay in the same category and make a change, so this “should not” be an issue.

Edited by Lastdance

1 hour ago, Lastdance said:

I booked a GTY concierge class cabin, then wanted to pay extra and move to another non-GTY cabin.  GTY was the only cabin class available!  My cabin was not assigned yet.  The supervisor tried for 30 minutes to make the change with my TA, but it would not allow me to move.  There is no reason why this should happen, but for some unknown reason it did.  You should be able to change suites in the same category, or pay to move to a different category at the prevailing price.  I will not ever book a GTY gain due to my personal experience.  You have always been able to stay in the same category and make a change, so this “should not” be an issue.

I have been on phone with Celebrity twice this morning.  And, I have to say they were very nice, helpful and polite. This will be our suite and won't change.

The devil 🥵 is in the details for the guaranteed Sky Suite.  To change rooms at no charge the occupancy needs to be the same.  In my case 2.  The only other Sky Suites not sold are 4-person occupancy and they won't change to them.

I am so unwilling to take the suite right next to the Magic Carpet WALL.  We just ended up paying more for a different suite.

Again, I am not upset with Celebrity as I understood the risk booking a guarantee.  

Now it's time to look forward to an amazing cruise.

Cheers!

🍷

@Sam.Seattle  That is an interesting detail.   In the past the common understanding was that you could change to another stateroom in the same category assigned.

I had one time where the very experienced Celebrity rep refused to change my GTY assignment saying that's why it was a GTY and if I wanted to change I had to pay the category prevailing rate.  When my TA came in on Monday he changed without issue.

Now I guess with them trying to up occupancy with 3&4th guests sailing free they need to keep the higher occupancy rooms available.   There are some sailings where the higher occupancy cabins aren't shown when you are booking for 2.

Anyway thanks for the data point.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Sam.Seattle said:

I have been on phone with Celebrity twice this morning.  And, I have to say they were very nice, helpful and polite. This will be our suite and won't change.

The devil 🥵 is in the details for the guaranteed Sky Suite.  To change rooms at no charge the occupancy needs to be the same.  In my case 2.  The only other Sky Suites not sold are 4-person occupancy and they won't change to them.

I am so unwilling to take the suite right next to the Magic Carpet WALL.  We just ended up paying more for a different suite.

Again, I am not upset with Celebrity as I understood the risk booking a guarantee.  

Now it's time to look forward to an amazing cruise.

Cheers!

🍷

I am glad it worked out for you!  This is the way it is suppose to happen.  I have been able  to change any cabin/suite in the same class, or pay a fee if upgrade,as I always book suites and choose my preferred suite, but wasn’t paying 50,000 pp for a suite on Ascent. My cruise is on Ascent, so a complexly different situation.  You got someone who played by their rules. You were lucky that it worked way it should work.  Had you gotten newbies  on the phone, who knows what would have happened.  I have been with Celebrity for decades and use a TA; you did not have a TA involved, so sometimes easier, like in your case and most likely you were past the 90 day mark too?  Not apples to apples at all.  Yes, enjoy and keep booking suites!

In my case, Celebrity tried for 30 min with my TA on the phone with no luck, so just another twist in Celebrity, not even allowing a change when paying more.  I talked with corporate and was told this should not have happened to me, but it did several times.

Edited by Lastdance

1 hour ago, Lastdance said:

I’m not quite clear, if your cabin wasn’t yet assigned why did you want to move? And if GTY was the only class available what non-GTY cabin were you expecting to move to?

1 minute ago, Mark_K said:

I’m not quite clear, if your cabin wasn’t yet assigned why did you want to move? And if GTY was the only class available what non-GTY cabin were you expecting to move to?

I found a cabin I loved, so wanted to book it and pay the difference…usually not an issue.  Supervisor said she would do it.  Corporate said I should be able to do it too.  I booked a GTY because that was only available and was told again that I could move and pay extra.  However, I was not allowed to, so I am posting just to make people aware.  The ship is almost totally full and is not past the 90 days either…I am sure it will eventually work out, but no one up the ladder could tell me why.  It is sometimes a royal pain to be a why person that just wants to understand.  I hope this explains it to you.  Thanks for asking me to explain too!

Posted (edited)

To answer the OP's original question, once your stateroom is assigned, that becomes your stateroom and your GTY is fulfilled.  They will not reassign to a different location or higher category on their own later.  And it is not always the lowest category or worst location that is assigned.

However, if you are not happy with the location of your assigned sub-category stateroom, contact whomever you booked through and you can ask to be moved to any other available stateroom location within that assigned sub-category.  They will confirm available locations and make the change at n/c.  Have done this several times.

Suite GTY's can be interesting because they will often cover the range of available suites, so you assignment can be anywhere from the lowest to the highest category and sub-category.  But the location options within each remain the same.

We have had assignments from the lowest to significantly higher in our experience.  Just a roll of the dice.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I’ve always assumed that now with MoveUp bids, we’ll get the lowest level cabin.  Last month we booked a suite guarantee on Beyond for this month, and our TA said to be prepared to be assigned an MC Sky Suite.  We were much more quickly than I expected assigned to a standard Sky Suite.  Of course we would have loved a Celebrity Suite (or higher!) but since we didn’t get the MC Sky Suite, can’t complain.  The savings were worth it.

Pre covid and not in a suite but I was able to put myself back in the guarantee pool after I was assigned a cabin not to my liking.  My Celebrity personal vacation planner did this for me.  Again, a few years back so may not be relative.

20 minutes ago, Blueseas109 said:

Just curious, do you have to be paid in full before gty suite is assigned? I booked gty for the Ascent in January.

In our experience the assignments were post final payment and close to the sailing date (typically within 45 days), so I am going to say yes.  I have not heard of GTY's being assigned prior to final payment.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Pre covid and not in a suite but I was able to put myself back in the guarantee pool after I was assigned a cabin not to my liking.  My Celebrity personal vacation planner did this for me.  Again, a few years back so may not be relative.

As indicated earlier, you can request a different location after assignment within the same sub-category - you don't go back into the "pool".  My guess is she just reassigned your stateroom.  That has been our experience on the occasions that we preferred a different location than that assigned - we just called and they gave a new location based on availability.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

13 hours ago, Blueseas109 said:

Just curious, do you have to be paid in full before gty suite is assigned? I booked gty for the Ascent in January.

Nope, the room was assigned before final payment.  I called to request the change after I made the final payment.

• Like 1