Alaska Dawes Glacier Rough Seas

Call me crazy, but I do enjoy feeling the ocean on a cruise.  We are doing the Dawes Glacier/Inside Passage leaving in 25 days...YIPPIE!

How rough can we expect the seas to be that time of year.  We went September 2022 on the same route and it was very smooth.

Posted (edited)

In general, it is impossible to predict sea conditions, especially well in advance, as they can change short term based on weather, winds, currents, etc.  Your previous experience unfortunately may have little bearing on what to expect next month.  However, that being said, the inside passage is sheltered and typically relatively calm as a result.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Edge from Seattle on May 31st?

Yup and I am mentally packed already, however since I am not a morning person:

No photo description available.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

At least you're in the same time zone!  We have a 7 AM flight but since we are 1.5 hours from Hartsfield-Jackson, our day will begin at 3:30 Am...which is just rude!

See you on board!

4 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

No photo description available.

I have heard anecdotally that coming out of Seattle in the first 12ish hours you may have the roughest seas.  Based on experience, the inside passage was very calm.  We are on edge later in the season so will be super interested to follow along with you!

• Like 1

The roughest seas for us was the last full day of the trip heading to Victoria.  The other portions were calm..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, keesar said:

The roughest seas for us was the last full day of the trip heading to Victoria.  The other portions were calm..

Interesting…will keep that in mind.  I don’t get sea sick but am always prepared just in case lol

1 hour ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

We are on edge later in the season so will be super interested to follow along with you!

There may be others but I plan to do a live review of our Edge, May 31.

• Thanks 1

I don't know the exact itinerary but I can describe my many experiences on Alaska cruises.  The only really rough seas we've ever had were crossing the bay of Alaska - I don't think you do that on this cruise?  The Inside Passage has always been very calm.  Occasionally the seas might be a bit worse than calm heading up/down from Seattle, although honestly we have yet to find that to be the case.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

I have heard anecdotally that coming out of Seattle in the first 12ish hours you may have the roughest seas.  Based on experience, the inside passage was very calm.  We are on edge later in the season so will be super interested to follow along with you!

This was our experience last year- although I think it lasted a little longer than 12 hours.  Things smoothed out around 4:00 p.m. the first sea day.  Very smooth from there, including on the way back.

• Thanks 1