QA Canaries 10 May Comments

exlondoner

15 hours ago, sogne said:

Also have u discovered if there are any computers in library or any other area?

?

I haven’t asked yet, but I haven’t seen any on my travels around the ship.

• Like 2

No fireboat send-off from Arrecife this afternoon (that I saw anyway), but it was still a good show watching your departure on the "Lanzarote Cruise Ship Dock" live stream from the LanzaroteWebcam YouTube channel. Here's a capture from that stream.

QAArrecifeDeparture2024-05-17.thumb.jpg.8779cf7dc5227ee7e5cd7d43482b4f52.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

No fireboat and the only people who watched and waved, as far as I could see, were the rope men.

But we still gave our whistle a good work out 🙂

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, safarigal said:

But we still gave our whistle a good work out 🙂

I'm sure the Grill's terrace hears that perfectly 😉

• Like 2

There was special coverage of QA's arrival at Las Palmas de Gran Canaria this morning on the live stream of the WingCam YouTube channel. Here is a capture from the stream.

QALasPalmasArrival2024-05-18.thumb.jpg.02bf976a61487975ed048ad42265f1b8.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

There was a thread asking about the smell of cigar smoke, which I can’t find. This morning on my morning stroll, I encountered a strong smell of stale cigars outside the Churchill Lounge.

We are not dancers but have been loving watching the ballroom dancing in the Queens room. Last night was particularly good. There was the usual host who danced with a variety of ladies. There also appeared to be a couple more gentlemen fulfilling that role - passengers maybe?  Early on in the cruise we watched one lady have a dance lesson - last night she was tripping the light fantastic like a pro. Lovely to see. 

• Like 4

On 5/12/2024 at 12:06 PM, Selbourne said:

I completely understand that, as I do hidden disabilities etc, but the difference with a wheelchair user is that they need more space. Those who are just elderly or have hidden disabilities can usually stand in a lift (or the disability isn’t hidden) and therefore can still get into busy lifts. The issue we had on Iona was that most lifts were arriving half to two-thirds full and, as a result, we couldn’t get in as the lifts were ridiculously small. We’d not had the issue on any other cruise ship and were hoping that this wasn’t going to be an issue with all new builds. 

OK.

After a meeting with a lovely helpful staff member 'up' in the chain of high ups, I can say for definite, the timing of the lifts will not be changed for a few reasons.

However, on the plus side,  I can report after the first day, we have had very little problem getting into a lift with a wheelchair.

In fact, folk have been so helpful, to the point of getting out of the lift for us but as ex L would agree as she was willing  to do the same ( thx) more the worry of a busy lift freefalling…as if!🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

OK.

After a meeting with a lovely helpful staff member 'up' in the chain of high ups, I can say for definite, the timing of the lifts will not be changed for a few reasons.

However, on the plus side,  I can report after the first day, we have had very little problem getting into a lift with a wheelchair.

In fact, folk have been so helpful, to the point of getting out of the lift for us but as ex L would agree as she was willing  to do the same ( thx) more the worry of a busy lift freefalling…as if!🙂

Thank you. That’s very reassuring. The problem that we had on P&Os Iona was a combination of the lifts being too small and almost always arriving 50% or more full (which didn’t leave enough room for a wheelchair user and companion) plus the clientele on that ship did not display any lift etiquette (other than the teenagers and children, who put their elders to shame). I was hoping that lift etiquette would be better on Cunard as, to be fair, it has been on all the other P&O ships we’ve been on. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Thank you. That’s very reassuring. The problem that we had on P&Os Iona was a combination of the lifts being too small and almost always arriving 50% or more full (which didn’t leave enough room for a wheelchair user and companion) plus the clientele on that ship did not display any lift etiquette (other than the teenagers and children, who put their elders to shame). I was hoping that lift etiquette would be better on Cunard as, to be fair, it has been on all the other P&O ships we’ve been on. 

To be fair, at busy times, eg when passengers pour in from tour buses, we are quite happy to press both up and down and take the first lift in which we can fit because what goes down will also go up a vice versa but then, we’ve been doing that for years on QV so nothing new there.

The main thing is, don’t worry. The first 24hrs have not been representative of the rest of the cruise so far.

Hint

Practise your 'hold the lift please' so you’re in fine voice for your cruise!  😁

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TowandaUK said:

We are not dancers but have been loving watching the ballroom dancing in the Queens room. Last night was particularly good. There was the usual host who danced with a variety of ladies. There also appeared to be a couple more gentlemen fulfilling that role - passengers maybe?  Early on in the cruise we watched one lady have a dance lesson - last night she was tripping the light fantastic like a pro. Lovely to see. 

Well I've just had to pour my self a glass a Fizz on reading this .👍🍾

Obviously the entertainment department have listened to not only mine, but several other guests comments and constructive feedback on last weeks maiden cruise  in relation to the Queens Room.

As I understand it the following day after disembarkation from the maiden there was to be a meeting between the dance host and those responsible for the evening programme .   

• Like 3

To keep the webcam images coming, here's what QA's departure from Tenerife looked like this afternoon. This is from the Skyline Webcams "Santa Cruz de Tenerife - Plaza de España Live cam".

QATenerifeDeparture2024-05-19.thumb.jpg.f4d2ba8b34ea2b9637356918684cdcbc.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Is anyone on the current cruise in Britannia Club? If so, I was wondering how you are finding the dining experience (food quality, a’la carte additions, service etc)?

Also, at dinner I normally wear an open neck shirt with no jacket on P&O, other than formal nights, when l wear a dinner suit. I was thinking of taking a jacket or two on Queen Anne. Would this be overkill or do most people just wear open neck shirts on the smart casual nights? Thanks. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Selbourne said:

Is anyone on the current cruise in Britannia Club? If so, I was wondering how you are finding the dining experience (food quality, a’la carte additions, service etc)?

Also, at dinner I normally wear an open neck shirt with no jacket on P&O, other than formal nights, when l wear a dinner suit. I was thinking of taking a jacket or two on Queen Anne. Would this be overkill or do most people just wear open neck shirts on the smart casual nights? Thanks. 

Lots of people do wear jackets, but lots of people don’t, so whatever you feel like. I have generally found the air conditioning on the ship quite fierce, but can’t speak for that particular restaurant.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, TowandaUK said:

Hi, that’s lovely to hear, I appreciate your grace towards those of us still learning! it’s a private dance group where we pay extra to the organizer who hires a few pros (2 male/2 female) and some hosts (3 additional men on this one) to dance with the guests in the evenings, and we can hire the hosts for private lessons as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1