Quantum Alaska-Skagway dock issues 2024

Just as a heads up appears the dock in Skagway is still not repaired according to Royal and at least for May 20th sailing they have swapped Skagway for Icy Strait Point.  I know last year these sailings had same issue but appears it is continuing for 2024 season.

Quantum.thumb.png.d1fef164e9e54d2570db4868cee0d906.png

• Thanks 1

We did stop in Skagway last week (Quantum), but we had to get shuttles from the ship to the end of the dock for safety, due to more recent rock slides. I cannot imagine Skagway is able to eat that cost every week. Hoping they can figure it out soon; I know how much that town depends on tourist dollars.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

This is what it looked like from

my Brilliance balcony last week (May 9).

Quantum was docked behind us, farther from the bus/vehicle loop. They got shuttles from the bus loop to their gangway (a 1 minute drive). We on Brilliance got to stand outside for 1 hour 30 minutes in 20mph winds at 40degree temps with driving rain at 45 degrees angle as the tender process was a nightmare with swells and weather. Port of Skagway didn’t give a rats a$$. 

It was a really bad scene with kids and elderly. Sincerely, if they cannot give support on the pier, then they should

not allow ships to dock there

IMG_9937.jpeg

IMG_0141.jpeg

Edited by Hoopster95

5 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

This is what it looked like from

my Brilliance balcony last week (May 9).

Quantum was docked behind us, farther from the bus/vehicle loop. They got shuttles from the bus loop to their gangway (a 1 minute drive). We on Brilliance got to stand outside for 1 hour 30 minutes in 20mph winds at 40degree temps with driving rain at 45 degrees angle as the tender process was a nightmare with swells and weather. Port of Skagway didn’t give a rats a$$. 

It was a really bad scene with kids and elderly. Sincerely, if they cannot give support on the pier, then they should

not allow ships to dock there

I was on the Quantum, in the Solarium, watching that go down.  I felt really bad for you all.  I saw several tenders attempt to make it and have to turn around.  Even when that tugboat came out to.....i'm guessing.....provide a lee, your tenders still had trouble.  

Did you see us get underway?  I think our captain had an "oh !#$%" moment.  That tug had to rush out and help us turn around.  

To the op, as catlady said, we did tie up to the pier last week.  Use of the shuttles was mandatory.  The pier cannot be walked.  

5 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Did you see us get underway? 

Yes, sure did The view from Chops wasn’t clear in the rain.

Once the port saw that tender line, the elderly, the kids… they should’ve directed at least 2 or 3 of those shuttles for brilliance passengers. After Q had finished embarking, only then the shuttles took over from the tendering process in full. 

It was a despicable call by Skagway port authority

IMG_0145.jpeg

We are on Quantum in mid June, and I haven't been following the news so I'm trying to come up to speed.

It sounds like some Quantum sailings are being redirected to Icy Strait, while in other situations ships may be tendering and/or utilizing shuttles since the pier is not walkable?  Any insight (guesses) into what we might expect in mid June based on the current situation?

I have not received anything from RCI yet about a port cancellation but perhaps they just haven't gotten to June sailings yet?

We had this happen to us last summer.  I think it's a crime that Royal is booking these sailings knowing full well the situation in Skagway.  The only port that was a must-do for us was Skagway  because we were recreating an experience my parents had on a previous cruise.  It the reason we booked that particular itinerary.  We also got the letter, swapping Skagway for Icy Strait Point.  No surprise, it was after final payment.  No offense, but it's not an even swap, not even close.  Not much to do at all in ICP.  It sucks compared to Skagway.

We sorely missed our chance at the White Pass train and touring around town.  It's doubtful we'll ever be back to Alaska, so they screwed us out of a wonderful once in a lifetime experience.

We docked in Skagway last Monday. Had to take shuttle, it was mandatory. Also with us was Radiance, docked ahead of us. Everyone took the shuttle.

I get being disappointed about losing Skagway, we really enjoyed the train. We missed Sitka, so I get it.

• Like 1

I am not sure if the latest breaking info is posted anywhere, but the PDF available here does appear to be maintained regularly (it has a recent timestamp and accurately reflects Quantum not stopping in Skagway this week, for example)

https://claalaska.com/?page_id=665

I can really sympathize with missing an Alaskan port... being from FL maybe we have gotten spoiled on Caribbean cruises- but we are paying several times more for our upcoming Quantum cruise than we've ever paid for a Caribbean cruise and the premium isn't for the ship, it is for the destination. ( Although speaking of the ship, it is a little unfortunate that the Northstar is down, as it falls into the bucket of things that are already taken off the plate before sailing.)

I know weather is already a game-day wildcard in Alaska so it definitely hurts to have a major port taken off the itinerary before you even set sail.

5 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Never book a sailing for just a port - it could be missed at any time for any reason.

Of course but what's the alternative?  Should we have found an itinerary that didn't include Skagway and hope our itinerary was changed to include it? 😄  We chose that itinerary specifically because Skagway was on it, just like any other time we've booked cruises because we wanted to visit XYZ port(s).  Yes, ports can be missed. We know that.  However, in my opinion, this case is different than missing a port due to something unexpected like weather, unrest, engine troubles, etc... 

Royal has been booking cruises to Skagway for two cruise seasons now knowing full well the issues at Skagway.  They know the number and docking locations of ships planning to be at Skagway any given day.  They know the issues the rock slide has created.  Yet, they continue selling these cruises without any warning that there is a high risk of skipping Skagway.  My opinion, but it's just disingenuous advertising.  Had we known, it would have played into our decision of which ship and itinerary to choose to give us the best chance...

It's all water under the bridge now. We had a great cruise, but how Royal is handling the Skagway situation in particular still bothers me.

• Like 1