Royal Club Hell is back on Quest.

oddjob16

12 minutes ago, uktog said:

I don’t know how many times I have suggested that both pre and post pandemic to no avail however with someone from the UK now heading up Hotel Operations in Miami I’m a little more hopeful he understands speciality vs run of the mill G and T. 

Indeed you have, and it makes abundant sense!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, uktog said:

I don’t know how many times I have suggested that both pre and post pandemic to no avail however with someone from the UK now heading up Hotel Operations in Miami I’m a little more hopeful he understands speciality vs run of the mill G and T. 

Let’s hope so, I think the problem is a lack of understanding about G&T’s, quintessentially it’s been a British drink. Most spirits, especially premium spirits, are considered best drunk neat gin & possibly vodka are an exception as they’re traditionally mixed with something else, if you look at Azamara’s drinks menu gin is offered in a number of cocktails which contain multiple ingredients and usually little or no tonic. However the traditional British Gin & Tonic is about 75% tonic making the mixer a very important constituent so the quality and taste of that ingredient is very important. 
Royal Club tonic is just a very poor quality product and shouldn’t be considered but no doubt the cost is very attractive to the bean counters who have possibly never even tried a G&T.

In March we stayed pre cruise in Rio at the Yoo2 Hotel which was a popular trendy venue in Botofogo, the rooftop bar, which was always busy with locals, had an amazing and extensive Gin & Tonic menu, the gin was Larios and the tonic Schweppes mixed with a number of botanicals by the mixologist. Despite Larios not being the best of gins the resulting drinks were absolutely fabulous.

• Like 5

No problem on Explora and Crystal, FT always available without issue. Indeed, Crystal even has a terrific G and T cocktails menu, featuring a wide range of FT mixers with an estensive selection of gins.Of course, I appeciate that these lines may not necessarily be considered as direct competitors to AZ per diem-wise.

6 hours ago, uktog said:

And once located always have your +tonic in the same bar 

Absolutely ...yes because the bar staff get to know your preference 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Riocca said:

I understand the problem cruise lines have with Fever Tree, with Royal Club coming from Heineken and Schweppes from Coca-Cola with bulk buying the cost is going to be very low. But Fever Tree as an independent brand is going to be very expensive in comparison, a compromise for Azamara would be to offer it with the Ultimate Package as they do with the premium bottled waters. I’ve seen this working with another cruise line where fountain Coke was included on the basic package but cans on the upgraded package.

The problem I have with the lines is they have it,  (most of the time), but do not seem to want to use it. When I am paying for a  premium brand gin like The Botanist, I want a premium tonic with it.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, futian said:

The problem I have with the lines is they have it,  (most of the time), but do not seem to want to use it. When I am paying for a  premium brand gin like The Botanist, I want a premium tonic with it.

Many times we’ve seen Royal Club served with a premium gin because the customer didn’t specify Fever Tree which was available, bar staff are no doubt instructed to serve the cheaper tonic by default because of the cost difference. Maybe some don’t appreciate the difference but we do and always ensure we’re very specific when ordering drinks.

• Like 5

Bring your favorite mixer on board.

Schweppes is sold in many countries, including:
  • Europe: Schweppes is a leader in the tonic category in France, Italy, Iberia, Poland, Scandinavia, and the DACH region. It is also available in Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Hungary, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, The Netherlands, and Norway.
  • North America: Keurig Dr. Pepper distributes Schweppes in North America.
  • Australia: Schweppes Australia, a subsidiary of Asahi Breweries, distributes Schweppes in Australia. 

6 hours ago, luv2travel90266 said:

• Europe: Schweppes is a leader in the tonic category in France, Italy, Iberia, Poland, Scandinavia, and the DACH region. It is also available in Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Hungary, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, The Netherlands, and Norway.
  • Australia: Schweppes Australia, a subsidiary of Asahi Breweries, distributes Schweppes in Australia. 

Shouldn’t have to!

• Like 6

9 hours ago, luv2travel90266 said:

In which case Azamara should be able to regularly source stock. I’m not schlepping round ports to find it although I do admit out of desperation to heading to Morrisons in Gibraltar but then we would only have been staying onboard all day otherwise. (Done Gib nothing more to see) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Totally. Why should I go and source my own mixers?  When you go out and buy them and bring them back to the ship you then have to "take care of them". Silly. 

Phil 

+1. We never bring any food or drink onboard, even British teabags !!  Isn't that the point of cruising ?

Edited by kool kruiser
typo
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, kool kruiser said:

+1. We never bring any food or drink onboard, even British teabags !!  Isn't that the point of cruising ?

I'll admit I do take a few of my favourite herbal tea bags that I know I can't get on the ship, but even then I often don't need them because the choice onboard is good. The ones I don't use go back in the case. 

Phil 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I'll admit I do take a few of my favourite herbal tea bags that I know I can't get on the ship, but even then I often don't need them because the choice onboard is good. The ones I don't use go back in the case. 

Phil 

I’m afraid I do bring my Yorkshire Tea bags onboard!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1