Celebrity removes loungers from balcony?

Unfortunately, I read a post on social media that shared an excursion by Celebrity.  The author, Julie, shared that their bus excursion took them to a beach without any chairs or loungers.  It was just a beach excursion that was shared with homeless people living there.  The ship was Ascent on the island of Sardinia, I believe.  

6 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

And terribly uncomfortable for anyone taller than 5 foot.  Ridiculous

And in many cases also rough on the skin.  I literally had to place a towel on the chair arm as my arm was close to bleeding the chair covering was so rough.

• Like 1

I received an email today from Celebrity stating that I was among a “Select group” being asked to take a survey.  It was about 10 minutes long and about half way through it asked why I did not complete a booking on a recent cruise that I had viewed.  PERFECT opportunity to share my absolute disgust at the removal of loungers on all verandahs.  I pointed out that all of my sailings through the years were in a PS and that I had spent over $120K on Celebrity cruise fares plus many other purchases of shore excursions, spa services, photos, etc, but this new policy makes me an X Celebrity cruiser and I will now move on to Oceania or Regent.  Stay tuned.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, goldsmip115 said:

I received an email today from Celebrity stating that I was among a “Select group” being asked to take a survey.  It was about 10 minutes long and about half way through it asked why I did not complete a booking on a recent cruise that I had viewed.  PERFECT opportunity to share my absolute disgust at the removal of loungers on all verandahs.  I pointed out that all of my sailings through the years were in a PS and that I had spent over $120K on Celebrity cruise fares plus many other purchases of shore excursions, spa services, photos, etc, but this new policy makes me an X Celebrity cruiser and I will now move on to Oceania or Regent.  Stay tuned.

I received the same survey and responded in much the same manner.

• Like 2

I received a call prior to my current cruise and told them essentially the same thing. I had a choice between X and Silversea for a 2025 Japan cruise.  Once I learned of the lounger issue, it was a no-brainer. We’re booked on SS.  Haven’t even thought about booking an X cruise since the lounger situation. And won’t unless it changes. 

Their decision. Our decision. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ggo85 said:

I received a call prior to my current cruise and told them essentially the same thing. I had a choice between X and Silversea for a 2025 Japan cruise.  Once I learned of the lounger issue, it was a no-brainer. We’re booked on SS.  Haven’t even thought about booking an X cruise since the lounger situation. And won’t unless it changes. 

Their decision. Our decision. 

Silversea is part of Royal Caribbean as is Celebrity so why doesn’t the new rule about loungers being removed apply to Silversea and Royal Caribbean ships. Surely if it really is a safety issue then all ships would ban them. I’m living in hope that they will reverse the decision by the time we sail in September on the Apex as it was the provision of loungers that made us decide to pay a premium to book an SV stateroom. We tried the IV room on a short cruise last month and whilst it’s ok for a short cold weather cruise I certainly wouldn’t want one for a longer cruise in the Med or Caribbean. 

We just departed the APEX this morning in Southampton. June 8-15. 7 day Norwegian Fjord and Bruges. Sunset Veranda Deck 7. We had a lounger, 2 chairs and a little table. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

We just boarded the Beyond. Our Magic Carpet Sky Suite has 2 loungers on the balcony, along with the typical small table and chairs.20240615_105900.thumb.jpg.7e7fc0029d507cc63b12350b7d4bfbf4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, kwis29 said:

We just boarded the Beyond. Our Magic Carpet Sky Suite has 2 loungers on the balcony, along with the typical small table and chairs.20240615_105900.thumb.jpg.7e7fc0029d507cc63b12350b7d4bfbf4.jpg

I guess those loungers aren’t a safety issue 🤣🤣

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I just got off the Beyond, didn’t want to post while onboard as they might have come and taken the loungers away, I had two loungers on the balcony of my magic carpet sky suite. I could see the next two suites also had loungers. It also looked like most of the aft balconies had loungers. 

IMG_5137.thumb.jpeg.d9d62370ea1527bf208cb1163b694451.jpeg

Edited by Kevin
  • Thanks 3

On 6/14/2024 at 4:55 PM, Lastdance said:

Unfortunately, I read a post on social media that shared an excursion by Celebrity.  The author, Julie, shared that their bus excursion took them to a beach without any chairs or loungers.  It was just a beach excursion that was shared with homeless people living there.  The ship was Ascent on the island of Sardinia, I believe.  

Most beaches in Sardinia are "private" and chairs/loungers are only available to rent. Sounds if the excursion just went to a public beach which would have made the excursion cheaper and the experience worse. This lack of information or local knowledge is one reason we book private guides.

On 6/14/2024 at 4:00 PM, TGfromTX said:

I'd rather have this type, but I don't think that will fit in my luggage.  Hence the blowup type.  Since the IVs close now, I shouldn't have to deflate.

Bet you can't get two of those in the space next to the window in an IV.

Where do you intend to store the existing chairs and table?

Better take just one and draw up a rota of who can use it first.

20 minutes ago, the penguins said:

Most beaches in Sardinia are "private" and chairs/loungers are only available to rent. Sounds if the excursion just went to a public beach which would have made the excursion cheaper and the experience worse. This lack of information or local knowledge is one reason we book private guides.

Us too...I wonder what the excursion details were in writing that led her to book this excursion in the first place.  Hopefully, people learn from their mistakes!  

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

I just got off the Beyond, didn’t want to post while onboard as they might have come and taken the loungers away

It sounds more like a case of denying people who are asking for them now rather than the Celebrity chair police coming to take loungers away from the balconies where they already exist.  I had loungers and chairs on Apex SV less than three months ago.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TheHawk1 said:

It sounds more like a case of denying people who are asking for them now rather than the Celebrity chair police coming to take loungers away from the balconies where they already exist.  I had loungers and chairs on Apex SV less than three months ago.

Certainly there is information not being shared whatever the reason; hopefully, it will be forthcoming(or maybe not), however, if Celebrity is losing bookings, I guess it just doesn’t matter enough until it does.  There is always a way to get your own, especially if you see these on a balcony like yours, but always ask first and see what happens.  The lounger and Celebrity’s answer to this all important question...yes, no, maybe, or all three🤷‍♀️

~A little secrecy may be needed!

Edited by Lastdance

6 hours ago, the penguins said:

Where do you intend to store the existing chairs and table?

Do you think the cabin attendant will complain if they are found on the bed?

7 hours ago, TGfromTX said:

Do you think the cabin attendant will complain if they are found on the bed?

Boy are you going to be busy every time you want to relax by the window.

1) wait until the bed has been made (or make it yourself) as it would be unfair to delay your cabin steward.

2) put the chairs and the table on the bed.

3) get the recliners from wherever you have been storing them - under the bed? But then where would keep your bags /cases?

4) put up the recliners - doubt if two will fit so draw lots to see who gets first go.

5) relax.

6) repeat the whole process before you leave the cabin.

• Haha 2

I got a response to my email last Friday that Sunset Suites will still have loungers, but not Sunset Verandas "because of their dimension".

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, sasset said:

I got a response to my email last Friday that Sunset Suites will still have loungers, but not Sunset Verandas "because of their dimension".

I wonder if the Infinite Veranda accordion-like doors are pushing into the balcony space when being opened, and loungers just don't allow the doors to open and close.  A regular sliding door doesn't take extra floor space to open so it wouldn't explain on those.

I think most IVs show to be 42 square feet, That'd be about 6 foot by 7 foot.  Assuming the balcony is 6 foot deep, I don't think loungers are shorter than that unless in upright position.

1 hour ago, sasset said:

I should clarify. This was specifically for Constellation.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sasset said:

What’s funny is that “non-corner” Sunset Suites have the exact same balcony dimensions as the balconies for the Sunset Verandas on the same deck.  This is for M class ships. 

You may not what to confuse them with the facts or risk the loungers being taken away from the Sunset Suites, too. 

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1

I just received a call back to my emails. I was told there will be a lounger and foot stools on our balcony. We’re sailing on Eclipse next month. Miriam from the Executive Office did say they are “doing some things” so hopefully I will find a lounger on our balcony.  Never mentioned safety as an issue. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m have seen far more of the “they better be there when I cruise” comments than they aren’t there.  Most of the comments are coming from people that haven’t experienced it yet.  On another media platform I have seen far more stating that they have loungers.

• Like 1