Invisible Bed Bugs?!

21 hours ago, Jean C said:

I saw a documentary once about a US family who somehow brought them home. They were so bad in the bedrooms, the family dragged their mattresses downstairs to get away from them. However, they insdvertently brought them downstairs with the mattresses and infected downstairs as well. They tried everything, without success. Eventually they got on to an outfit who wrapped the whole house and heat treated it to a temperature that got the better of the little blighters. It cost them an arm and a leg but they loved their house, and it fixed the problem.

What the???????

55 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

What the???????

It was enough to make me very aware, when staying in hotels, motels or cabins, and to make every effort not to inadvertently let any of these little nasties hitch a ride in my luggage.

Fortunately I've never encountered any, and hope never to.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

So I am the person you are all discussing on this forum and I would like the opportunity to respond.

1. Please consider this, I am not the first nor will I be the last to encounter bed bugs on this ship and this will come more to light in coming days. Do you think P&O are going to respond by saying yes we have an issue? They had other passengers in that cabin the day we debarked. Think about it. Why does everyone assume the worst in people. This story is humiliating and I did not want to make it public, but P&O have since refused to acknowledge it happened, and wish to brush it under the carpet.

2. I sought medical attention on board at guest services request. The pattern of my bites... "Breakfast Lunch Dinner" was apparent all over my body. She confirmed it was classic bed bugs and also admitted they were aware of a problem onboard and was extremely apologetic. Why now am I being ridiculed online for following the guidance of P&O and getting my bites reviewed. I was not aware what was biting me initially, as like most people here, bed bugs are not what I expected on my well earned holiday. 

3. Invisible bedbugs? Not that Invisible when numerous people have been affected by them in recent months.

4. Compensation... This is not why I went public. I had concerns on how we were handled during changing of our cabins. There did not seem to be guidance or clear protocols and I am concerned they are spreading the problem instead of containing and addressing it. I was trying to ensure other people are not impacted the way we are. Should we be compensated for trying to ensure they didn't come in to our home. Yes I feel that's fair. I am not asking for price of our cruise. We actually had a good time until this. I only want them to do better. Fix the problem! 

5. This has been a horrible, humiliating expskence and the backlash from people has been horrible. I have shared my personal experience. I was reviewed by onboard medical. A report was created by them to guest services. I followed all necessary steps to try and ensure this doesn't happen to someone else. P&O won't fix a problem if they are denying there is one.

Let's hope it doesn't happen to you. 

Here is a clear picture of the classic bed bug "Breakfast lunch dinner" pattern. Feel free to google that. 

I have no intention of trying to convince anyone. I love cruising and used to work aboard ships myself. Never in 100s of cruises have I experienced this, it must be contained as they spread like wildlife. I made this public to raise awareness. To try and ensure someone else, like you, didn't get affected on your cruise.

Our holiday unfortunately was ruined by these. I have the right to share my experience its just so sad what I have had to deal with on multiple forums. The internet can be a really horrible place.

Have a good evening 

Screenshot_20240516_160617_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Corinne288
  • Like 8

Also thank you to Jean who actually highlighted most of the points I made. 

To the lady who believes I had sea lice ? I haven't been in the sea since I moved to Australia in 2022. I have a fear of it. So I guess that covers that possible theory. 

I still have the bites on my body which is also common with bed bugs for weeks after. I am not here to convince you. I was here to raise some awareness. Take my experience and ignore it, ridicule me, that's OK. Others will take notice and take steps to avoid a similar situation happen to them.

Thanks. 

Good night 

• Like 4

Firstly welcome to Cruise Critic.

Secondly, I am not sure people are slating you, and while I have been lucky enough to have never encountered them, they do exist. People have been relating their experiences and I suppose speculating on if they were bed bugs or lice.

Thirdly, I am sorry for your ordeal and subsequent humiliation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately I have spent an hour on these forums ( not this post) having to witness grown adults tear me apart. From insulting my appearance, questioning if I am lying, doubting my integrity. I came forward as P&O claim it didn't happen. There are people with actual videos of them crawling the walls but they are also silenced. 

I am probably responding quite reactive because I can't believe how cruel people can be. Not necessarily on this post but all over these forums online. Just a new experience for me I guess. I know I have been contacted by a well known news channel airing tomorrow. I refused to be involved but hoping that will be enough from others to expose the truth and have people eating their words.

Thanks for the welcome 💓 sorry i am feeling so defensive. Been a humiliating week 

• Like 9

On 5/19/2024 at 1:16 PM, Aus Traveller said:

After encountering bed bugs in our Sydney motel, I carefully inspected the mattress in the motel we stayed in on the way back to Brisbane.

I feel if the bed bugs referred to the article were invisible, they could have also been mythical.

Well you are wrong.

I am not a liar. Thank you

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Secondly, I am not sure people are slating you, and while I have been lucky enough to have never encountered them, they do exist. People have been relating their experiences and I suppose speculating on if they were bed bugs or lice.

Thankfully a qualified Doctor actually reviewed me with knowledge, experience and awareness of other bed bugs on the ship. So personally, I am probaly going to accept her diagnosis rather than people on social media. I understand people are entitled to an opinion but the fact reamins I Was reviewed onboard by the GP and a report was made. 

Anyway just wanted the opportunity to respond and defend myself and my experience. 

Thank you 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Corinne288 said:

Also thank you to Jean who actually highlighted most of the points I made. 

To the lady who believes I had sea lice ? I haven't been in the sea since I moved to Australia in 2022. I have a fear of it. So I guess that covers that possible theory. 

I still have the bites on my body which is also common with bed bugs for weeks after. I am not here to convince you. I was here to raise some awareness. Take my experience and ignore it, ridicule me, that's OK. Others will take notice and take steps to avoid a similar situation happen to them.

Thanks. 

Good night 

I mentioned sea lice. I did not mean to imply that you had been in the sea or had been bitten by sea lice. I mentioned this because this is what happened on a cruise several years ago - sea lice bites initially mistaken to be from bed bugs.

I also mentioned sea lice because it is difficult to know what caused the bites. I initially thought my itchy spots were from mosquito bites. It was only after I had hundreds of bites and my husband who was sleeping in another bed in the room had no 'mosquito' bites (and said there were no mosquitoes), that we considered bed bugs. And that was what it was.

• Like 2

I am just clearing up that it wasn't sea lice. I also initially thought it was an isolated bite but then it kept happening and every morning I woke up with more and began reacting to them. They were on my neck, shoulders, ankles... again very telling. 

As I say I just wanted an opportunity to respond.

My reply was to your comment, they may be mythical.  My skin says otherwise.

thanks 

goodnight 

15 minutes ago, Corinne288 said:

Well you are wrong.

I am not a liar. Thank you

Apologies. I am sorry you holiday was spoilt with this experience.

I did not mean to imply you are a liar. I said "if they are invisible, they could also have been mythical". Bed buts aren't invisible.

I had a terrible experience with them and, as I mentioned, had hundreds of bites that became large areas of inflamation on both arms and both legs. The itching was incredible and was only partially relieved with antihistamine and cream (cortisone cream I think).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am sure since you have experienced them too, you can imagine how frustrating it is when people insinuate you are lying or that your bites are X, Y, Z despite having sought onboard medical attention. Been a horrible experience and even worse when you try and speak up and find yourself ridiculed online. I don't mean by you or anyone here, but news articles, fb forums. It's very sad that people would rather tear apart a fellow cruiser than actually believe a cruise line has an issue and is covering it up. They have far more to lose than I do. They don't want this to be public. Deny Deny Deny is their reaction to the problem unfortunately.  I am not the only person and this will be aired tomorrow night. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Corinne288 said:

I am sure since you have experienced them too, you can imagine how frustrating it is when people insinuate you are lying or that your bites are X, Y, Z despite having sought onboard medical attention. Been a horrible experience and even worse when you try and speak up and find yourself ridiculed online. I don't mean by you or anyone here, but news articles, fb forums. It's very sad that people would rather tear apart a fellow cruiser than actually believe a cruise line has an issue and is covering it up. They have far more to lose than I do. They don't want this to be public. Deny Deny Deny is their reaction to the problem unfortunately.  I am not the only person and this will be aired tomorrow night. 

I have to agree that to experience a bed bug 'incident' is disgusting - much more than anyone who hasn't experienced it would think.

I don't think anyone here thought for a moment that you are lying. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On this thread, the mention of these being invisible bed bugs was due to P&O's denial of their existence. If anything, those jibes are largely directed at P&O.

Within this cruise forum, we are mostly rusted-on cruisers. We will pull apart any cruise news and have an opinion on it. I haven't read discussions in other locations, so thanks for the extra details. I see your side and support your stance. Good luck!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I couldn't find any discussions on any other CC thread about bed bugs, note that doesn't mean they don't exist.. So I presume it is other social media.

• Like 3

@Corinne288 I am so sorry that this whole experience has been so awful for you, and cannot thank and congratulate you enough on your bravery to raise awareness of this issue for other travellers. You are very courageous and are worth far more than the naysayers. You deserve a big thumbs up 👍

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Well put, Mic. I agree with your comments and am certainly sorry for this lady's experience.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, arxcards said:

On this thread, the mention of these being invisible bed bugs was due to P&O's denial of their existence. If anything, those jibes are largely directed at P&O.

Within this cruise forum, we are mostly rusted-on cruisers. We will pull apart any cruise news and have an opinion on it. I haven't read discussions in other locations, so thanks for the extra details. I see your side and support your stance. Good luck!

Yes exactly. I have a dry sense of humour and the article was the Daily Mail which I call "Trashy News"

And I specifically mentioned that I named it invisible due to the P&O claims.

Anyway we just got carried away with the invisible monkeys - definitely no personal attacks towards any guests and especially not you @Corinne288

I do understand that you may have been personally trolled on other platforms and misinterpreted my post however I am happy you can see that's not the experience here and everyone is very welcoming.

Every one knows bedbugs exist. There are loads of experiences documented and Cruise Critic have a great matter of fact article that may give you some validation, it verifies exactly  that of course bed bugs  exist on cruises.

https://www.cruisecritic.com.au/articles/are-there-bed-bugs-on-your-cruise-ship

Take Care!

Cheers!

• Like 5

thank you.

If anyone is interested I was contacted by the producer of current affair asking me to complete an interview as they are airing a similar story against P&O tonight at 7pm. Sadly, due to the negative response from people trolling me on social media, I decided not to proceed as I have found the backlash as devastating as the bugs. 

However, I will be watching intently as I am hoping this will validate My claims and show others that it's not just me with this experience on these ships. This isn't about compensation or free cruises ( I wouldn't travel with them again, as they are not managing this problem and choosing to ignore it) It's about public health and responding to these bugs appropriately and effectively. 

Anyways thank you for listening to me, I just felt the need to reply. 

Thanks 

Corinne

• Like 5

Yes I have been banned on P&O forums on social media, my personal appearance torn apart on news article comments.... Its been pretty horrible all because I tried to raise awareness

I tried to do this privately with P&O but they decided to lie and tell me there was never a problem. My skin tells a very different story.

Thank you for the support.

Please be sure to look at current affair tonight I believe they are airing other stories. Not mine, as I refuse to put myself out there again to be attacked. No one deserves that response. 

Thanks again 

• Like 4

Not exactly a story on cruising. More about not responding or managing outbreak of bugs I presume. I am unsure as I didnt provide an interview. Unsure when it's airing but he did say tonight. 

Anyways have a good evening. I just wanted to have my voice heard and explain a bit better. 

Thanks 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Corinne288 said:

Yes I have been banned on P&O forums on social media, my personal appearance torn apart on news article comments.... Its been pretty horrible all because I tried to raise awareness

I tried to do this privately with P&O but they decided to lie and tell me there was never a problem. My skin tells a very different story.

Thank you for the support.

Please be sure to look at current affair tonight I believe they are airing other stories. Not mine, as I refuse to put myself out there again to be attacked. No one deserves that response. 

Thanks again 

Important to note.

What you consider to be P&O groups on social media are mostly unlinked to P&O Australia. Most of those passenger groups are fan clubs, of which there are several that will defend any negativity against their favourite ship or cruise line. P&O has just one official account, and they do not personally attack anyone. OK, they do have pretty lame responses on their account, and defer you to DM them. They are also unlikely to moderate personal attacks made by others.

Your personal experience fits one of the reasons why I am not a member of any of the dozens of those groups. 

• Like 6