Question for NCL regulars

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Same here.

I might go to the buffet for a quick breakfast or lunch (but I even try to avoid that given the number of people who are clogging up the serving areas and aisle-ways).  Trying to remember, but I don't recall ever going to the buffet for dinner.  The MDRs offer good, well prepared food with a nice selection.  

I would imagine dinner in the buffet wouldn't be as hectic as it is during breakfast or lunch.  Might be wrong on that count, though.

That said, on the Prima, I actually had dinner at Indulge.  I ordered a few very disparate dishes that were all quite good and served quickly.

On a HAL cruise we ate dinner in the buffet 4 or 5 times.  Very relaxed, almost no one there and the food was excellent. Plan on trying the buffet on my upcoming B2B as the menus in the MDR sometimes have nothing that I am interested in. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, zqvol said:

On a HAL cruise we ate dinner in the buffet 4 or 5 times.  Very relaxed, almost no one there and the food was excellent. Plan on trying the buffet on my upcoming B2B as the menus in the MDR sometimes have nothing that I am interested in. 

Oh...I know some people who dine ONLY in the buffet.  I'm not one of them.  But, they love it.  They like the idea of having an aisle for individual food types (salad, protein, veggies, etc).

If it works, it works.

Had mentioned the Prima's (and Viva's) Indulge Food Hall.  It's kind of the best of both worlds, which is why I like it.

You can sit anywhere and order from the different food stations, where you can stroll by to see the chefs prepare the different choices,  and have it brought to you.

• Like 1

It is a personal preference. When we sail with family they love the dining room. The main dining rooms serve the same thing but the buffet is different.  When we are just the two of us we  either dine in a specialty restaurant or the buffet. I find the buffet food to be as good as the dining room and it is fast. I love the theme nights in the buffet especially the prime rib night or the grill night. So to answer the question the buffet is different but equal in quality in my opinion.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, graphicguy said:

That said, on the Prima, I actually had dinner at Indulge.  I ordered a few very disparate dishes that were all quite good and served quickly.

I think Indulge is a game changer for dining on NCL. Loved it and ate there frequently on Prima. On Viva, the secret was out and unless you were lined up when they “opened the doors” or shortly after, it was nearly impossible to get a seat..inside or out. I also think they shortened the hours of service, ie seemed Viva Indulge was not open as long as it was on Prima. (Sailed both near initial sailings)

• Like 2

I have literally never eaten dinner in the buffet on any cruise!  But after reading all these posts, it sounds like it could be kinda relaxing.  Maybe I’ll try it sometime.  I’m a tried and true a la carte person but if it wasn’t busy like it is at breakfast and lunch that might be a game changer.  The only thing is I want decent drink service, not sure how attentive the wait staff is at night in the buffet.  I always find it just ok at lunch, it can be hit or miss.

My friend likes them because she states it is faster so you can do other things on the ship. On our upcoming cruise we are in port everyday so I am thinking I might enjoy the slower pace of the main dining room. I will try the buffet on a night we want to see a show or go to some type of event. We have 4 specialty dinners included with our cruise so only 5 nights to consider other options

On 5/20/2024 at 2:31 AM, complawyer said:

that is incorrect, buffet has a variety of choices, none of which coincide with either MDR

Interesting. On Royal Caribbean some of the dishes from the MDR could also be found in the buffet on each night.

On 5/20/2024 at 4:46 PM, graphicguy said:

The question of leftovers has been asked at more than one Meet and Greet I've attended.

They DO NOT service leftovers.  They do dehydrate it to make it small and unload it at each port.

Really? So you won't see something from lunch (leftovers) miraculously used as part of another dish for dinner for instance?

Think I'm going to like NCL... 🙂

grouchomarx i wouldnt recommend dinner in the buffet every night, but depending on the length of the cruise, i would give it a shot at least once. there are so many choices available in the buffet, that you really cant go wrong, and you certainly wont leave hungry!  we just got off of a17 day cruise on the star, and after 28 cruises all with ncl, this was the most disappointing. we had lunch one afternoon in versailles and and a dinner in aqua, and both times they were deplorable.  as a + however, you can get crepes for dessert at the buffet 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, astera said:

Interesting. On Royal Caribbean some of the dishes from the MDR could also be found in the buffet on each night.

Really? So you won't see something from lunch (leftovers) miraculously used as part of another dish for dinner for instance?

Think I'm going to like NCL... 🙂

The Behind the Scenes tour I took late last year on the Epic, the head Chef was asked that exact question.

He said  nothing that was made and presented in the buffet is used in other restaurants.  He did point out that the bakery makes breads and deserts for all the different restaurants on board.  And, something like rice is made for the restaurants who offer it in some iteration from the corporate galley!

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, grouchomarx said:

I have literally never eaten dinner in the buffet on any cruise!  But after reading all these posts, it sounds like it could be kinda relaxing.  Maybe I’ll try it sometime.  I’m a tried and true a la carte person but if it wasn’t busy like it is at breakfast and lunch that might be a game changer.  The only thing is I want decent drink service, not sure how attentive the wait staff is at night in the buffet.  I always find it just ok at lunch, it can be hit or miss.

Drink service in the buffet, such as coffee?  We have taken dozens of NCL cruises over the years, but I can't recall ever being offered "drink service." Probably, we just eat and move on more quickly than the average person, but I've only noticed the tables being cleared and silverware being restocked.

Edited by ggTexasGal
fixed error
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

Drink service in the buffet, such as coffee?  We have taken dozens of NCL cruises over the years, but I can't recall ever being offered "drink service." Probably, we just eat and move on more quickly than the average person, but I've only noticed the tables being cleared and silverware being restocked.

Yep.  That is the only type of service we have ever received at the buffet.  Everything else AFAIK is self service.

• Like 1

I've had wait staff come over to ask if I wanted something from the bar.  Actually had one crew member on the Epic last year offer to refill my juice glass.

I don't know if they are supposed to do that, but I'm sure they feel the service would net them a tip.

• Like 1

ok, im not sure this will work for everybody, but whenever we're in the buffet, if we want a drink (soda, beer or liquor) we ask one of the many busboys working there, and he/they always bring a drink ( tipping $ 2 for this service). when we were  on the star last month, there was also a small bar set up where you could get beer, wine and coke by the can. worth anther $2.00 tip

• Like 1

14 hours ago, astera said:

Nope. Once an item hits it's hold time, it is thrown overboard. For most items, that's about 4 hours. So, if you cook a 40 gallon pot of soup at 3pm for dinner, by 7pm it is being sent to be fish food. 

On our cruise a week ago, we would go to the buffet around closing every night for some ice cream and fresh fruit. We would watch the pizzas cooked and put out at 9:25 pm be being tossed in a trash can at 9:30. All the desserts in the display being scraped off the plates and dumped. Hot dogs and hamburgers tossed. All food (except large bones) are ground up and discharged into the ocean (fish food).  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ggTexasGal said:

No I mean cocktails and wine.  

• Like 1