Marina Redo

true45

We are currently on Marina in an A3 and are disembarking tomorrow.  While we’ve had a lovely time traveling with friends, our stateroom’s cabinetry is definitely showing too much wear and tear, lots of chips and scratches.  Our friends, in an A2, had one of the desk cabinet doors fall off while they were unpacking, not a good first impression for their first Oceania journey. While I’m disappointed that the refurbishment didn’t include Concierge class as originally stated, the staff have been very attentive and we have felt very pampered.

7 minutes ago, clarku said:

We are currently on Marina in an A3 and are disembarking tomorrow.  While we’ve had a lovely time traveling with friends, our stateroom’s cabinetry is definitely showing too much wear and tear, lots of chips and scratches.  Our friends, in an A2, had one of the desk cabinet doors fall off while they were unpacking, not a good first impression for their first Oceania journey. While I’m disappointed that the refurbishment didn’t include Concierge class as originally stated, the staff have been very attentive and we have felt very pampered.

We will be in an A3 cabin on the Marina next March. When we booked this cruise almost 2 years ago, we were told by Oceania that the Concierge  cabins would get totally refurbished before our cruise including adding walk in showers in the bathrooms. We are very disappointed but will not cancel our cruise, just feeling like we got bait and switched.

38 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

We will be in an A3 cabin on the Marina next March. When we booked this cruise almost 2 years ago, we were told by Oceania that the Concierge  cabins would get totally refurbished before our cruise including adding walk in showers in the bathrooms. We are very disappointed but will not cancel our cruise, just feeling like we got bait and switched.

We sailed on the first sailing post refit. Yes it was a disappointment despite knowing beforehand that the refit wasn’t going to extend to the A cabins and lower. However, we had a great cruise and the initial disappointment was soon healed by the excellent service and the good food etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

... When we booked this cruise almost 2 years ago, we were told by Oceania that the Concierge cabins would get totally refurbished before our cruise... We are very disappointed but will not cancel our cruise, just feeling like we got bait and switched.

That's what $12+ billion in debt forces NCL do to try to cut costs, enhance revenue, and raise profits. The markets don't want to loan them more money and one doubts there is a lot of demand for the stock, so hard for them to sell new shares, unless and until they get their profits going strong and pay down about $6 billion, the part tied to COVID and its immediate aftermath.

27 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

We sailed on the first sailing post refit. Yes it was a disappointment despite knowing beforehand that the refit wasn’t going to extend to the A cabins and lower. However, we had a great cruise and the initial disappointment was soon healed by the excellent service and the good food etc.

Having sailed on Vista, I would enjoy the addition of Aquamar and redoing Waves to add additional dining options for everyone onboard......these refits were not part of the original plan and Oceania made the choice to spend the time and money on these additions.  They did not save money by not doing a refit of the A cabins but spent the money on dining options for all onboard..

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, basor said:

Having sailed on Vista, I would enjoy the addition of Aquamar and redoing Waves to add additional dining options for everyone onboard......these refits were not part of the original plan and Oceania made the choice to spend the time and money on these additions.  They did not save money by not doing a refit of the A cabins but spent the money on dining options for all onboard..

Not sure about the cost of cabin refits compared with the addition of with a new dining venue and the evening opening of Waves. Whether Oceania saved money or not (somebody else will jump on that one!) is irrelevant for me the whole experience is what counts and I agree with you the new dining options were for the benefit of all and from my part they were welcomed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, basor said:

Generally agree with you except they also threw in another excuse for not doing below PH categories....supposedly not enough time in the drydock...which of course they themselves scheduled🤔. I too really enjoyed the addition of Aquamor and enhanced Waves offerings on Vista and am looking forward to enjoying them on Marina when I embark next week. Just glad that when I booked this a long time ago, I decided to splurge (for the first time in 10 O cruises) on a PH.

37 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

That's what $12+ billion in debt forces NCL do to try to cut costs, enhance revenue, and raise profits. The markets don't want to loan them more money and one doubts there is a lot of demand for the stock, so hard for them to sell new shares, unless and until they get their profits going strong and pay down about $6 billion, the part tied to COVID and its immediate aftermath.

I understand the debt problems, but in 2022 they had the same debt issues and were telling customers, like us, that the Marina would receive the same refurbishment as the Riviera received post covid. It just leaves a bad taste for our first Oceania cruise and is the same type of issues that caused us to leave cruising with other lines. 

If they are so worried about debt maybe they should cut down on all of the mailings they send out, we on average get 3 or more Oceania brochures in the mail every week that go directly into the trash.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, astrotoy said:

Just to confirm, if I book the Marina in a PH suite, there is a redone stateroom, including a new shower (with glass doors?).  Thanks

You should check with your TA.  On the Riviera, a select number of PH3s did not get the tub replaced to accommodate those who wanted to retain the tubs.

On 7/15/2024 at 10:35 AM, basor said:

So....does that mean that the dining room has been upgraded?  As I saw a recent video that seemed to have "dated" chairs, etc. in the general dining room...not a big deal, just curious as to whether or not this space has been re-done.....

1 minute ago, chloemonkey said:

So....does that mean that the dining room has been upgraded?  As I saw a recent video that seemed to have "dated" chairs, etc. in the general dining room...not a big deal, just curious as to whether or not this space has been re-done.....

I have not been onboard so can not answer first hand - do know that they replaced La Reserve with Aquamar and redid Waves to include the pizzeria area for evening meals.  This provides additional breakfast, lunch and dinner options onboard for everyone.

1 hour ago, chloemonkey said:

"Favorite public spaces including Martinis, Horizons, The Grand Dining Room and Library have been elegantly updated with plush new carpets and refreshed upholstery; and specialty steakhouse Polo Grill boasts a fresh new look with new carpeting, stylish window treatments and sleek, pillowed-leather dining chairs."

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/media/2024/Oceania+Cruises’+Marina+Returns+to+Service+After+Extensive+Refurbishment++Including+All-New+Penthouse+Suites+in+Addition+to+Three+New+Culinary+Venues/

• Like 2

I was on the first sailing after refurbishment in an extended B3 which definitely in the cabin and throughout the ship showed signs of wear and tear so much that a door opposite to the crew stairs was initially left permanently open on both sides resulting in disturbing noise particularly noticeable during night making sleep impossible, I had to ask for intervention from Senior Concierge and the solution was to close the doors and have signs placed on them saying not to be opened which remained for the whole 14 days, I presume the hinges had dropped! This along with the door to the Room Service being opposite and staff leaving the door slightly ajar caused noise and clattering late night and early morning. There were similar warning signs at places throughout the ship for work that was required varying from seats in the lounge to water stations leaking not working.

The reason for the lack of refit of cabins was nothing to do with the cost but the time in dry dock which is, post covid, very difficult to achieve as all the lines are looking for very limited availability and the addition of Aquamar last minute meant that something had to give during the two weeks allocated and that was the decision to lose some of the planned refurbishment. 

There is no indication when the remaining work will be done, given the slowly deteriorating state of the ship I would imagine they are desperately trying to get the work done.

• Thanks 1

It's amazing how it could be falling apart after the redo, yet when I was on it in February, pre- redo, it seems fine. Or maybe I'm just not a complainer. 

• Like 9

29 minutes ago, ORV said:

It's amazing how it could be falling apart after the redo, yet when I was on it in February, pre- redo, it seems fine. Or maybe I'm just not a complainer. 

We were on Marina in October and thought it looked great. Looking forward to seeing it next time after the redo.

• Like 2

We were on Marina for its first cruise (May18) after the refit.  We were in a B-3 and our cabin had new "soft goods", carpet and new balcony furniture.  Our friends who were in Concierge level suite did not have any of the upgrades that we received.  Neither of us had the tub/shower replacement.  Several minor upgrades (lamp shades, desks) were done during the cruise.  We enjoyed the cruise, and the food and service were very good.

Joel Barry

8 minutes ago, Cape Hernlopen said:

We were on Marina for its first cruise (May18) after the refit.  We were in a B-3 and our cabin had new "soft goods", carpet and new balcony furniture.  Our friends who were in Concierge level suite did not have any of the upgrades that we received.  Neither of us had the tub/shower replacement.  Several minor upgrades (lamp shades, desks) were done during the cruise.  We enjoyed the cruise, and the food and service were very good.

Joel Barry

We were also on that cruise in an A1. We had all the soft furnishing replacements as I noted in a post of mine above. Somebody did mention having new carpet but we didn’t. It seems to me that apart from the general areas and PH and above being refurbished, the other refurbishments have been done on a bit of an ad hoc basis.

As an aside we had dinner one evening with the Purser and the FC consultant. I asked the question about if/when the A1 and below cabins would be refurbished and the answer was that the ship is not due into dry dock for two years! Make of that what you will!

7 hours ago, tine-tine said:

... The reason for the lack of refit of cabins was nothing to do with the cost but the time in dry dock which is, post covid, very difficult to achieve as all the lines are looking for very limited availability and the addition of Aquamar last minute meant that something had to give during the two weeks allocated and that was the decision to lose some of the planned refurbishment....

IF O had wanted to "pay" (cost) for additional work crews or time, they could've. The yards don't work for free and various crews are available to refit various portions of the ship. Like with any "remodel" job, you can expand or contract the scope of the work. Or be willing to pay higher labor costs for overtime or additional workers. There is a COST component to their decision.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ORV said:

You really trashed the place Orv, it was a dump when I boarded right after you 😁

Seriously, many of these complaints are in the category of "will you believe me or your lying eyes"?  I really don't know what some of the complainers are talking about. Marina was supposed to be refurbed last November. Was I disappointed that it wasn't before my cruise?  Yep, I even complained on CC about it.  

Guess what? My disappointment ended when I stepped aboard and saw she was looking just fine.  I was wrong, Mea culpa. 

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

You really trashed the place Orv, it was a dump when I boarded right after you 😁

Seriously, many of these complaints are in the category of "will you believe me or your lying eyes"?  I really don't know what some of the complainers are talking about. Marina was supposed to be refurbed last November. Was I disappointed that it wasn't before my cruise?  Yep, I even complained on CC about it.  

Guess what? My disappointment ended when I stepped aboard and saw she was looking just fine.  I was wrong, Mea culpa. 

I was wondering if you fell off the ship. Haven’t seen you post in a while. 

• Like 1

Just now, ORV said:

I was wondering if you fell off the ship. Haven’t seen you post in a while. 

I'm waiting for the '26 schedule to come out so I can complain about the prices and itineraries, until then I'm just going to post occasionally.  

I did get a puppy after this last cruise, so I've been busy.  He's named FDR, but I call him Frank, the finest doodle at sea.   

IMG_1319.JPG

• Like 7
  • Haha 6

43 minutes ago, boblerm said:

Have all of the bathtubs been removed from the PH1,2 and 3 categories on Marina?

I'm not sure there has been an accurate report on Marina, but on Riviera I believe the PH1 & PH2 categories were replaced, but not the PH3's.