EZ Air rip off

Just wanted to warn everyone who uses EZ Air. 

I ran in to a situation where I need to change my flights on a cruise coming up this Sunday. 

I originally booked flights for Sunday morning.  

Due to a travel companion getting their passport stolen yesterday,  we need to fly in to San Francisco early,  for them to get an emergency replacement passport. 

The change fee is exactly the amount that we paid for the existing tickets. 

$1821 for the change fees,  then an extra $2244 for the new tickets. 

I can buy new tickets directly from the airline for $2244, and not pay a change fee, of course. 

I even tried to call back and get a different person,  and got the same answer. 

This is a complete rip off.

And wanted to warn people. 

I originally booked via EZ Air to make it more convenient. Even though I did check and direct flights from the airline were about $30 per person cheaper with the airline direct. 

I also tried to call the airline directly,  and was told that they are not allowed to touch cruise bookings. 

Don't see how this is an EZAir problem.  This is an unfortunate incident where you're needing to voluntarily change your air reservation.  The terms are clearly stated when you book.  If tickets are Flexible, you can change up to 45 days and you won't get charged for changes/refunds.  If tickets are Restricted, no changes or refunds.  Either way you're past both windows, so what did EZAir do wrong?  Completely sympathize with your friends passport dilemma (at least you're not asking if he/she can cruise without a passport), but EZAir did nothing wrong.

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

Don't see how this is an EZAir problem.  This is an unfortunate incident where you're needing to voluntarily change your air reservation.  The terms are clearly stated when you book.  If tickets are Flexible, you can change up to 45 days and you won't get charged for changes/refunds.  If tickets are Restricted, no changes or refunds.  Either way you're past both windows, so what did EZAir do wrong?  Completely sympathize with your friends passport dilemma (at least you're not asking if he/she can cruise without a passport), but EZAir did nothing wrong.

If they charged $100 change fee, or even $200 per person,  I would not have a problem. 

United, the airline we are flying with,  charges ZERO change fees. 

So charging me the same as the original ticket, PLUS the price of the new ticket is a rip off. 

I can not even book new tickets from EZ Air without paying the penalty.  

Understanding, I already paid $1800, they want a new $1800 to change,  plus a new $2200 for the new tickets.

So, in total,  if I were to continue with EZ Air, I will have to pay another $4000.

On top of the $1800 I previously paid.

No refund for the original payment. 

39 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

True, agree completely.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, memoak said:

You chose to book the flights I assume you looked at the rules. We handle all of our own flight arrangements

Absolutely right.

I usually do as well. 

Only reason I spent the extra,  and used them was because our flight was landing at noon, with a 4PM sailing. 

Figured it was tight, so I would pay the extra for the piece of mind.

Just can not believe that the penalty is more than the flight itself. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, memoak said:

You chose to book the flights I assume you looked at the rules. We handle all of our own flight arrangements

All rules say are there will be fees. NOTHING about a 100% fee.

My fault for not asking what the fee is.

But a 100% fee is a rip off 

50 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

Fee is not CLEARLY stated. 

Only says there will be a fee. 

Which is totally acceptable. 

A 100% fee is NOT

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My UAL economy ticket SFO -> LHR,  Miami  -> SFO all ns $528. $229.99 to upgrade 1st leg, $129.99 to upgrade return. So $887.98 total vs $5099 thru UAL. (Just checked) Nope.

Sorry you had an issue going with a consolidator but I'm sticking with EZAIR 

20240520_154904.thumb.jpg.5f3eefee735c8442e803562ea6768857.jpg

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, morechances said:

Absolutely right.

I usually do as well. 

Only reason I spent the extra,  and used them was because our flight was landing at noon, with a 4PM sailing. 

Figured it was tight, so I would pay the extra for the piece of mind.

Just can not believe that the penalty is more than the flight itself. 

That time frame would have been super tight. With a 4pm sailing they close the manifest at 2:30   Getting luggage can easily take up to an hour and then you need transport from South San Francisco to the port. Any little issue and you would never make the ship

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, morechances said:

Fee is not CLEARLY stated. 

Only says there will be a fee. 

Which is totally acceptable. 

A 100% fee is NOT

If you read EZAir's T&Cs at the bottom of the Air Notification e-mailed to you by EZAir when you made the airline reservation, it clearly states, "A fee, up to the full cost of the ticket...."

Screenshot 2024-05-20 154402.jpg

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

If you read EZAir's T&Cs at the bottom of the Air Notification e-mailed to you by EZAir when you made the airline reservation, it clearly states, "A fee, up to the full cost of the ticket...."

That's pretty stated in black and white. 

Edited by startedwithamouse

15 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

Thank you for posting that.  This should now satisfy the OP that EzAir is not hiding anything and the onus was on them to read thoroughly the terms and conditions.  Can’t get any clearer than this!

• Like 2

Thank you for posting this, but I don’t see your experience with EZ air a “rip off” but rather a cautionary tale. I personally wasn’t aware of the cancellation terms, but as it is a consolidator it makes perfect sense. That’s why the payment terms are also much different than booking direct, and cancellation at 45 days on refundable fares. In most cases this is much better than booking through the airline, but your post shows the downside of this. 
We used EZ air for the first time recently when we were unsure whether to fly home from Anchorage after a transpacific, or to add on the next cruise to Vancouver where we live. I booked flights through EZ air so we’d have a way home regardless, and when the second leg of our cruise went on sale I cancelled the flights before the 45 days and booked the cruise.

There are pros and cons to EZ air, and your post definitely shows the downside.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:
33 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

Expand  

Thank you for posting that.  This should now satisfy the OP that EzAir is not hiding anything and the onus was on them to read thoroughly the terms and conditions.  Can’t get any clearer than this!

Oh snap I never noticed that either!! I think you many of us just scroll through PCL T&C because we've (I'm in that group) never had an issue. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, morechances said:

Just wanted to warn everyone who uses EZ Air. 

The change fee is exactly the amount that we paid for the existing tickets. 

$1821 for the change fees,  then an extra $2244 for the new tickets. 

I can buy new tickets directly from the airline for $2244, and not pay a change fee, of course. 

It sounds like you will simply lose the cost of the original ticket as "the change fee" and then have to purchase a new ticket.

Your statement makes it sound like you are paying 3 times for your ticket.

$1821 original ticket

+

$1821 additional change fee

+

$2244 new ticket

This seems unlikely. I would check again if I were you.

Edited by Teechur
Clarification (I hope)
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, morechances said:

Understanding, I already paid $1800, they want a new $1800 to change,  plus a new $2200 for the new tickets.

So, in total,  if I were to continue with EZ Air, I will have to pay another $4000.

On top of the $1800 I previously paid.

No refund for the original payment. 

Once again, I doubt that you would have to pay an additional $1800 to cancel your original ticket. It sounds like a misunderstanding.

You will simply lose the original ticket, and will have to buy a new ticket from EZ Air or any random airline.

Edited by Teechur
Clarification (I hope)
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, SCX22 said:

The documents that you receive AFTER you book.

I booked the flights 2 weeks ago.  Which is 15 days prior to the cruise. So it would have been too late even if I tried to cancel once I saw that.

So, correct, it is stated, but just not in any information PRIOR to booking.