Bathroom night lights?

deubank

Posted (edited)

No, there are no night lights in the bathrooms. There are often bright lights that turn on in the closet area outside the bathroom which makes it even harder to see, as you enter the dark bathroom having had a bright light shine in your eyes. 

We block the closet light sensor and use a rechargeable nightlight on Princess ships

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EOI3RO4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Torfamm

Posted (edited)

Nope. If you want a "soft" light in there take along an electric tea light or some other form of nightlight.

Edit: Zowie! Guess I was typing too slowly! 😀

Edited by Thrak

Note that most cabin bathrooms have a “lip” that you can trip over if stumbling to the bathroom in the middle of the night after an evening of drinking. Er, so I’ve heard. 

• Haha 3

Interior to Mini-Suite, and any cabin category in between, has a motion activated light in the closet area.  It's bright enough to wake those in deep slumber while in bed.  For me, it's more than enough light to see the bathroom light switch from the outside and turn it on.  The nightlight is helpful if you decide to block the sensor on the motion activated light.  Just make sure that if using the plug in style (as opposed to battery operated) that you get a nightlight with non-polarized plugs as the only socket in the bathroom will only allow for non-polarized plugs as it's meant for charging electric shavers.

• Like 1

Hated that closet sensor light on our last cruise! We've always found there is enough light coming under the stateroom door from the hallway to find the bathroom, and we bring a nightlight for inside the bathroom.

Posted (edited)

We just got back from Majestic cruise and there are strip lights that come on from your motion when your feet hit the ground from under the 2 night stands.

Also the motion detector ceiling light comes on in the hall in front of the bathroom/ closet. No need to turn bathroom light on if the door stays open.

I brought a small motion detector light for the bathroom if I shut the door. Batteries because there is no plug in bathroom.

The nightstand under light is soft but the hall light is bright.

Edited by lahlah57
Added

Posted (edited)

What type of plugs (if any) are in the bathroom on the Royal?  I've seen info about the plugs in the room but don't recall seeing anything about the bathrooms.

Edited by PR-Texas

3 minutes ago, PR-Texas said:

What type of plugs (if any) are in the bathroom on the Royal?  I've seen info about the plugs in the room but don't recall seeing anything about the bathrooms.

They typically have one receptacle that will power an electric shaver but not a hair dryer. Fortunately, they offer enough juice to power an LED nightlight.

1 minute ago, Teechur said:

They typically have one receptacle that will power an electric shaver but not a hair dryer. Fortunately, they offer enough juice to power an LED nightlight.

US or EU type plug? Never cruised Princess before so trying to avoid surprises where possible.

14 minutes ago, PR-Texas said:

US or EU type plug? Never cruised Princess before so trying to avoid surprises where possible.

I believe it will accept either type, but I don't remember for sure. 🤷‍♂️

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, WisCruiser2 said:

Hated that closet sensor light on our last cruise! We've always found there is enough light coming under the stateroom door from the hallway to find the bathroom, and we bring a nightlight for inside the bathroom.

Our most recent cruises have been on Discovery which did not have that closet motion sensor light.

Princess should have figured out that light was undesirable on the earlier Royal-class ships. We’ve also sailed on Royal, Regal, Majestic & Sky but never had that light. We use the low illumination LED lights LACruiser88 showed…one on the desk & one in the bathroom in addition to the light you mentioned that comes from under the front door.

As I recall, on Royal-class ships turning on the closet area light turns on the light over the bed which IIRC where different switches on earlier classes of ships.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Posted (edited)

I'm thinking that we'll probably take one of the nightlights we have at home.   We won't be needing them at home while we're on the cruise.  My guess is we'll take a plug in always on nightlight and cover the sensor for the closet area.  Bright lights are not good when I'm half asleep. Thanks for the thread since nightlights weren't something on my list of stuff to take.  

Edited by PR-Texas
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Our most recent cruises have been on Discovery which did not have that closet motion sensor light.

Princess should have figured out that light was undesirable on the earlier Royal-class ships. We’ve also sailed on Royal, Regal, Majestic & Sky but never had that light. 

On Majestic up until Feb 2020 I  did not have it but it certainly was there in Dec 2023 (fortunately I had read about it on CC and was prepared with masking tape!

• Thanks 1

Apparently my wife and I seem to be the only people who don't have an issue with the closet area light turning on at night. Yes, it's bright but it doesn't really interfere with the sleep of the other party. We aren't fans of the night stand lights that turn on if the ship rocks and the blankets move so we usually just put one of the small bolster pillows in front of the night stand and that solves the problem. (On our 63 day cruise last year I did take a bit of painter's tape wrapped around an old popsicle stick and stuck a bit of it over the night stand light sensor.)