Carnival Australia Price Rises

Beer has gone up 40% and soft drink 50% in the last couple of weeks on Carnival Splendor in Australia.

How do they justify such an increase. 

I'd love to hear some official communication on the justification.

Unbelievable!

I am sure that the price increase was a shock, but the company does not owe anyone an official communication on the justification.

They raised prices because it increases their revenue and they believe people will pay it. That is what businesses do.  If no one buys beer or soda or if people stop cruising Carnival because of it, they will lower them.

Did they increase the price of Cheers and Bottomless bubbles?  If not, that might be the way to go.  I am cruising in Australia in a few months myself.  Yes, a price increase on beer and soda is disappointing to me, but I won't let it ruin my trip.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Slattery said:

Australian as per title

So that's $8.30 USD for a beer. That's about what they charge here. Do they have a drink package over there? If so what does it cost? Did it go up?

Edited by Saint Greg

When prices get too high you vote with your wallet. Alcohol is unbelievably overpriced. It has worked out well getting older and drinking less. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

So beer was only $5.29USD over there before this increase?  That seems mighty low and prices that haven't been seen here in probably 15 years. 🤔  That was a deal.

Edited by ray98
  • Like 1

$12.50 AUD = $8.27 USD     Beer is $8.25 + 18% Gratuity USD ($9.74 total)
$14.99 AUD = $9.92 USD     Bubbles is $6.95 + 18% Gratuity USD ($8.20 total)

My understanding is that Carnival Australia includes the gratuities as part of the price.  If so, $12.50 AUD is still lower than the USD price for beer.  Soda is still a bit more.

On 5/22/2024 at 4:52 PM, Slattery said:

So when the Australian dollar eventually rises back to 2013 levels i expect the prices to go down.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Which part is funny, that the Australian dollar is so weak or that Carnival would adjust the price?

7 hours ago, Slattery said:

I highly doubt they would reduce the price lol

I get your point.  The fact is that cruising is like any other commodity (pricing wise).  It is supply and demand.  The market will probably pay what the market can afford based on the consumer ability and willingness to play.  If Carnival sets the price too high, then the market will dry up.  If course there are other variables like what the competition offers etc.  If the new price is in line with the market, then I would agree with your assessment. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My only (and definitely last) cruise on Splendor was a 4 day weekender - I had one person fall on top of me while I was sat in a pod, and I played nursemaid to another so drunk they were unable to stand or speak, all before we'd even left port.  With any luck a price increase will slow people down a bit!  Oh and there was a fight during the 80s deck party...

I miss Spirit and Legend!  I'm using what's left of my covid and other credits with Carnival on a Europe cruise, because I found Splendor so disappointing.  It'll be interesting to see how things compare.

Edited by clairebearinaus

12 hours ago, clairebearinaus said:

My only (and definitely last) cruise on Splendor was a 4 day weekender - I had one person fall on top of me while I was sat in a pod, and I played nursemaid to another so drunk they were unable to stand or speak, all before we'd even left port.  With any luck a price increase will slow people down a bit!  Oh and there was a fight during the 80s deck party...

I miss Spirit and Legend!  I'm using what's left of my covid and other credits with Carnival on a Europe cruise, because I found Splendor so disappointing.  It'll be interesting to see how things compare.

I doubt the ship is responsible for crazy client interactions…..but that is just me.

6 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I doubt the ship is responsible for crazy client interactions…..but that is just 

That's not what I said though, is it? Gosh the nitpicking and bickering on this site is tedious, you've reminded me why I rarely bother. 

Just now, clairebearinaus said:

That's not what I said though, is it? Gosh the nitpicking and bickering on this site is tedious, you've reminded me why I rarely bother. 

Will not get into a dog fight, but that is EXACTLY what you said.  You said it would be your last cruise on the Splendor.  You did not say it was last 4 day cruise.  There is no bickering (well not from me anyway).  The issue the Op describes is real, and may be certainly more acute on shorter cruises, of that there is no doubt.