Oceania versus Regent. Your thoughts, please

Harters

On 5/25/2024 at 8:37 PM, Clutj said:

Been on 5 Oceania and 1 Regent in recent years. Food was equal, in my view, but I did like the large number of standard proteins available each night in Regent’s GDR, paired with your pick of six sauces. O’s GDR can sometimes fail to make me happy.  Regent seemed to have larger bar areas, and 1-2 more than O on the newest R ship.  Also, the Regent ship band broke into smaller jazz groups and played in a couple venues; more music and variety than O.  Slightly better wines included with Regent package.  R is more expensive, even when I tried to make sure I was adjusting to make it close to an apples to apples comparison.  I agree with the earlier comment that the PH rooms on O seem equal to R’s one-level below PH rooms.   Laundry with 1 day turn around was very nice.  Staff seemed equally good.  

I agree, however we don't drink or like cruise tours--so for us we're better off on "O" again.  Plus I believe "O" has better named suites than Regent.  Service to me was about the same as is the food.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, WESTEAST said:

Read that Regent is changing their fare structure. Starting July 1, 2024 there are two fare choices: Ultimate All Inclusive includes air (with choice of First, Business or PE - you pay more for Business or First) and then All Inclusive Cruise fare only (no air). This is looking more like the Oceania fare structure. 

It would be great if Oceania offered Business air at the Regent’s rate. I believe Regent’s prices were very reasonable in some cases in the past.

• Like 1

@WESTEAST interesting article!

I really can’t see much difference in the new pricing structure. I’ve booked without air in the past and the only difference I can see in the ‘Ultimate’ package, is the addition of a $500 for Blacklane if you want to upgrade to private transfers. 
A ‘rose’ by any other name?

9 hours ago, Syd58 said:

Regent tends to be more formal and ‘stuffy’ than Oceania.

We're currently on our first Regent cruise after 18 Oceania cruises and we agree wholeheartedly with that assessment.  There is no/no truly casual venue for dinner as a Terrace-equivalent buffet does not exist.  We also find the overall atmosphere too "Bougie."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Syd58 said:

Regent tends to be more formal and ‘stuffy’ than Oceania.

Disagree strongly. Just completed a wonderful cruise on Regent Splendor. We like Oceania, but found guests on Regent super friendly and zero surly crew members. On Oceania we have always found most of the crew and guests friendly, except reception and shore excursion staff and some officers. Unlike Oceania consistently friendly and customer service focused on Regent.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Our experience on Regent also did not have the "stuffy" atmosphere.  However, we usually dress up for evenings (not formal, but nice), anyway, so that was not an issue---not that there is a staunch dress code on either line.  I, too, think the gap between R & O is becoming smaller.  Looking at 2026 for next cruise and am hard pressed to pick between the two lines (yes, first world problem!).  (Already have R in Jan and O in Oct 2025.)  My main issue was the set dining times (between set hours, not that you had a specific time to show up) in the main dining room.  I usually like to graze at multiple times during the day and the mainstream cruise lines have something available almost any time.  Although, restricting the hours is probably why the food is much better!

On 5/24/2024 at 12:04 PM, zalusky said:

Are the chefs more flexible on Regent?  On Oceania they can only purchase food through corporate and they have to follow corporate recipes.

I don't think so, Corporate is Corporate..........

I have 3 O cruises under my belt with several more booked, and 2 Regent cruises under said belt and 2 more booked. I’m conflicted bc I would prefer the a la carte pricing O used to have, but I’ve had a better experience on R (food, service, suite, fellow pax, itineraries). 
R is not stuffy! R Ships are fabulous, and I love O ships.
You can’t go wrong (unless Corporate gets involved).

• Like 3

On 6/3/2024 at 1:47 AM, Redtravel said:

I used to hate Oceania cookies.  Just off Marina, the cookies were much better.  For really nice cookies or small cakes, visit Baristas. Baristas has excellent coffee. On Vista, the bakery is very good.

Better cookies on Marina??? Great news! We have sailed Marina three times since 2018, and the cookies were, not exaggerating, inedible. Every time. 

On 6/3/2024 at 12:28 PM, WESTEAST said:

Read that Regent is changing their fare structure. Starting July 1, 2024 there are two fare choices: Ultimate All Inclusive includes air (with choice of First, Business or PE - you pay more for Business or First) and then All Inclusive Cruise fare only (no air). This is looking more like the Oceania fare structure. Regent's marketing as "The Most Inclusive Luxury Experience™ is now a bit of a stretch IMO or, as they state just offering more flexibility (good if you have airline points though believe previously, you could always remove air and obtain an air credit). Probably won't change loyal Regent passengers from cruising as believe there are many loyal just as with Oceania. Our personal opinion is that with new Oceania SM program, the difference is closing except that all Regent's Staterooms are larger than most Oceania staterooms (except PH and above) and we never used butlers to justify spending extra for their services. As well, Regent includes a shore excursion in each port though each time we have considered a Regent itinerary, the included excursions were mostly panoramic (didn't interest us) and one must pay extra for the others which changes the price comparison. Plus, we like to take a combination of cruise excursions and independent tours.

https://www.rssc.com/ultimate-all-inclusive-luxury 

Your comment on Regent’s shore excursions is inaccurate. We just returned from a 2 week Regent cruise in Alaska. There were a large number (10-15) of interesting included shore excursions in most ports. 

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, kahuna21 said:

Your comment on Regent’s shore excursions is inaccurate. We just returned from a 2 week Regent cruise in Alaska. There were a large number (10-15) of interesting included shore excursions in most ports. 

Good that the excursions were to your liking. The cruise we looked at was in Europe and as stated, the included excursions were mostly panoramic with perhaps a photo stop or two which did not interest us.   

Edited by WESTEAST

17 hours ago, WESTEAST said:

Good that the excursions were to your liking. The cruise we looked at was in Europe and as stated, the included excursions were mostly panoramic with perhaps a photo stop or two which did not interest us.   

I agree excursions aren't for everyone--sitting on a bus with a stop here and there isn't my idea of a tour.  Even the good tours just take to long loading and unload passenger with limited time to see what you want.  And a 30 or 45 minute shopping break, I don't need.  I wish they didn't include them.  I know what I want to see and how much time I want to spend.  I realize that is only my opinion and doesn't fit everyone.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2024 at 1:24 PM, AC2 said:

cadillac and chevrolet both manufactured by general motors cadillac is the higher end of automobiles

I will take a Denali P/U any day over a Cadillac. GM’s design team for Cadillacs have, over the years, been less than desired results IMO. Have never seen so many ugly cars. I won’t even get started on the Lincolns. 

Edited by Thought2go
  • Like 1