Suite Enhancements

On 6/28/2024 at 12:35 PM, zitsky said:

You can have the bar.  The scotch selection is meh.

We've 'worked with' Retreat bartenders to locate and hold a bottle of what little better scotch is available elsewhere on the ship (e.g., World Class or perhaps Rendezvous.  You might want to give it a try next time.

2 minutes ago, George C said:

I traded the champagne for a couple of bottles of decoy cab that was with concierge. 

Hadn't thought of that trade as well, but will certainly do so this next time.  Thanks for the 'reminder'.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, canderson said:

We've 'worked with' Retreat bartenders to locate and hold a bottle of what little better scotch is available elsewhere on the ship (e.g., World Class or perhaps Rendezvous.  You might want to give it a try next time.

Hmm.  $300 Macallan in the Retreat…..

56 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Hmm.  $300 Macallan in the Retreat…..

That might take some additional "working with" 😄

If you'd be willing to throttle back from their Harmony Collection to something more along the lines of Macallan 12 Yr Double Cask, there's always a chance that might happen.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, canderson said:

That might take some additional "working with" 😄

If you'd be willing to throttle back from their Harmony Collection to something more along the lines of Macallan 12 Yr Double Cask, there's always a chance that might happen.

Every cruise I have taken there has been a Macallan scotch in retreat , I also have a couple of bottles in our liquor cabinet for our free selections, the Macallan offered is quest .

8 minutes ago, George C said:

Every cruise I have taken there has been a Macallan scotch in retreat , I also have a couple of bottles in our liquor cabinet for our free selections, the Macallan offered is quest .

I got the impression that Zitsky was hoping for something 'on the house' with the inbuilt premium package.  Not that you can readily even get Quest now, but at last count, it was running something along the lines of $120 for a 700ml.  Might be over the free pour limit unless the bartender has an arm twist moment (see post #176).

What few bottles of Quest are left seem to be on auction these days.  Retail almost 100% dried up.

13 hours ago, canderson said:

I got the impression that Zitsky was hoping for something 'on the house' with the inbuilt premium package.  Not that you can readily even get Quest now, but at last count, it was running something along the lines of $120 for a 700ml.  Might be over the free pour limit unless the bartender has an arm twist moment (see post #176).

What few bottles of Quest are left seem to be on auction these days.  Retail almost 100% dried up.

Zitsky has been known to go to the Ensemble Lounge to order the “good” Macallan.  It is annoying to confirm my order three times but they’re just doing their job.  If they have the entry level Macallan in the Retreat I can live with that.

14 hours ago, canderson said:

I always order a double and have never been questioned, the quest we get to bring home is a liter.

On 5/27/2024 at 8:40 AM, OceanCruise said:

Just off Beyond in a Magic Carpet suite. Some thoughts on our suite amenities:

-No photographer present at the Senior Officer's party in Retreat lounge (so no complimentary photo as previously)

-There was a real chocolate souffle served in Luminae one night which was so delicious! We were told this is usually only served once on a longer than 8-night cruise

-The lobster in Luminae (served only at one dinner and one lunch) was extremely tiny (basically only 2-3 bites)

-Filet mignon in Luminae (served only on last night) was outstanding

-The free slippers provided in room are much cheaper and not plush terry as previously

-No invitation to sail-aways, no bridge tours, etc. The only other Retreat activity was a silent disco in the Retreat lounge which we did not attend. 

-No extra free gifts or surprise appetizers/fruit in room other than 1 canvas tote bag on embarkation day and a bud vase with 2 flowers. We did get daily pillow chocolates.

-Butler was somewhat visible and he generally responded promptly to our minor requests--yay!

-We had to ask for loungers for the balcony. After 2-3 requests to different people they were provided on second day.

-Plenty of free bottled water provided in room daily without us having to ask.

-All Retreat lounge staff were always very proactive in asking if we needed drinks or assistance with anything

-Most nights in the theater they had areas roped off for the Premium Access guests but not Retreat guests. The only reserved seats for Retreat guests were for the 2 production shows. It wasn't a problem but I found it interesting that suite guests paying a lot more had less priority.

Who did you have to ask to get those loungers? Did you get one or two? 

3 hours ago, zitsky said:

Zitsky has been known to go to the Ensemble Lounge to order the “good” Macallan.  It is annoying to confirm my order three times but they’re just doing their job.  If they have the entry level Macallan in the Retreat I can live with that.

Not a fan on scotch.  I find it too peaty.  I like my rums and bourbons, in that order. 

I have always seen a bottle with a Macallan label on it in the Retreat lounge.  What level of Macallan it is I have no clue.  

I did a Macallan tasting on a cruise post COVID. They gave us a dram of four different Macallan's.  Two were offered at the bars on board, the "lower two", and the two upper ones were only available by the bottle in the store onboard.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Not a fan on scotch.  I find it too peaty.

Just a FYI:  The level of 'peat' in the flavor varies widely among brands and even among different offerings within a brand.  There are a quite few you may want to try that are known specifically for being 'very low peat' or unpeated altogether.  Here's an article to get you started (and there are others):

https://whiskeyreviewer.com/2018/01/seven-peat-free-single-malts-to-try-012931/

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, canderson said:

Just a FYI:  The level of 'peat' in the flavor varies widely among brands and even among different offerings within a brand.  There are a quite few you may want to try that are known specifically for being 'very low peat' or unpeated altogether.  Here's an article to get you started (and there are others):

https://whiskeyreviewer.com/2018/01/seven-peat-free-single-malts-to-try-012931/

Thank you.  I have had a couple of non-peaty scotch's that I did enjoy but they have been very few and far between.  I find good burbons and rums are less expensive than a good scotch.  The only single malts in my house at the moment are all Japanese whisky's., which i seem to enjoy. 

• Like 1

can i  assume the ports that offer mid afternoon debark arent in the USA due to the zero count rule

does full in suite dining mean just room service menu or MDR menu or suite restaurant menu?  i know you cannot due specialty due to logistics

i pity the move up people that expect specialty dining and booze thermal spa and wifi.  on other lines i know you do get the perks of the cabin when you win a bid.

12 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

can i  assume the ports that offer mid afternoon debark arent in the USA due to the zero count rule

does full in suite dining mean just room service menu or MDR menu or suite restaurant menu?  i know you cannot due specialty due to logistics

i pity the move up people that expect specialty dining and booze thermal spa and wifi.  on other lines i know you do get the perks of the cabin when you win a bid.

You do get specialty dining and two litters of liquor with a move up to royal or above .

4 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

Well if you expect something it is a good idea to confirm something before you do a move up bid.  Move up bids and benefits included have been discussed many times.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

That assumption is correct.  

It is from a specific menu, usually MDR food, but not the suite restaurant or Blu.  The upper suites, Celebrity Signature and above, may be able to order from Specialty Restaurants but I have never sailed in one of those. 

Why pity them when it is clearly explained in Celebrity's literature.  They only have themselves  to blame for not doing the research and knowing what to expect. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Unless something has changed since May, room service drinks are not covered by your drink package.

Thanks.. it just got my interest as it mentioned 'complementary' in the menu screenshot but I guess that could simply mean complementary delivery and doesn't mean it's free of charge?  Confusing.  (I don't have bev package as got CS via moveup).

On 6/30/2024 at 11:34 AM, DaKahuna said:

Not a fan on scotch.  I find it too peaty.  I like my rums and bourbons, in that order. 

I have always seen a bottle with a Macallan label on it in the Retreat lounge.  What level of Macallan it is I have no clue.  

I did a Macallan tasting on a cruise post COVID. They gave us a dram of four different Macallan's.  Two were offered at the bars on board, the "lower two", and the two upper ones were only available by the bottle in the store onboard.  

Have you tried any high quality Irish Whiskeys?  Traditionally, the main difference between them was that the Irish didn’t use peat.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

Have you tried any high quality Irish Whiskeys?  Traditionally, the main difference between them was that the Irish didn’t use peat.

Yes, I have had Irish and other whiskey.  Whether they were high quality or not I am not sure - Jameson's seems to be the one I have had most.  But I like the sweetness of my aged dark rums and keep going back to them. 

I am open to suggestions as what, other than Jameson's, I should try in the way of Irish whiskey.  

Note:  I also like Japanese whisky's such as Hibiki, Yamazaki, etc.. 

Edited by DaKahuna
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

Yes, I have had Irish and other whiskey.  Whether they were high quality or not I am not sure - Jameson's seems to be the one I have had most.  But I like the sweetness of my aged dark rums and keep going back to them. 

I am open to suggestions as what, other than Jameson's, I should try in the way of Irish whiskey.  

Note:  I also like Japanese whisky's such as Hibiki, Yamazaki, etc.. 

Can't help much with Irish, but if you like the Japanese malts, bourbon and rum, try a finished Scotch. One I like that's not horribly overpriced is Glenmorangie Lasanta. It's finished in Sherry casks. Balvenie Caribbean Cask is finished in rum barrels, but it's about twice as expensive as the Glenmorangie.

(I assume you've been to the CGX in Centerville...)

• Thanks 1