Memorial Day weekend on the Reflection. 3 days of Bahama bliss

This cruise is something I would probably avoid normally.  3 day Bimini and CocoCay.  Not my favorite way to vacation.  However, since it's Celebrity, I thought, heck why not?  I have always liked my Celebrity Cruises and love to celebrate this holiday for our veterans and those who fought for our country and other countries.  Plus it is the start of summer shore traffic where I live in NJ.  What better way to enjoy myself than on a cruise!

This cruise had been moved previously from a suite in December 2023 to a concierge balcony.  I debated it but ultimately decided a weekend cruise with no sea days, no retreat area was not worth thousands of dollars.  Luminae no.  Michaels club no.  I watched many videos and decided against it.  Now I love suites but not with a team of attendants.  I got too spoiled in MSC YC.  

We did not get the drink package.  Stupidly I forgot no Elite HH on embarkation day. 🥺.  So I will have to supplement with the free stuff until tomorrow at 5pm.

We stayed overnight at the Springhill at Dania beach.  It's ok.  Breakfast was a madhouse.  We did not take their shuttle at $20 pp.  We had rented a Dodge charger yesterday and after we checked in with our stuff, we drove up to Boca and hit the beach, Charmed city and Sloans at mizner park.  We don't know why we didn't stay at Embassy suites up there as we usually do.  Dropped off rental car and took a taxi for $14 to the port from FLL. 

So the concierge lunch....  I'd skip this in the future.  Appetizer was butternut squash soup or cesar salad.  Lunch was penne pasta, grilled chicken and french fries, salmon or an almond crusted beef.  I had chicken which was pretty bad.  Dessert was chocolate cake or apple pie with non gelato.  We ventured up to OVC but it was a madhouse.

One thing we tried that is new, as this is Celebrity, was to not leave our big suitcase with porter and just take to room and drop off.  This was much easier because Celebrity allows you to do this and grab the room key.  I wish other lines did this.    

Met our RA Garfield who, after 30 plus cruises, is the 1st RA who actually delivered a full body pillow!  We have had this pillow menu option a few times on different lines and never has this been done for us despite requests.  Bravo Garfield!

Currently in the Solarium which is Hopping!  No quiet solitude with the usual mouths open and snores everywhere.  People having fun which is nice.

We did pick a concierge cabin because at the time it was actually cheaper than a regular balcony. I did not consider Aqua as I didn't really get the hype about Blu when we were on the Equinox.  Yes, probably the only person that doesn't.  I couldn't justify paying extra for a restaurant I didn't like and bath products.  

Tomorrow is Bimini.  Sunday is CocoCay.  Monday we are back in Fort Lauderdale.  We have an excursion with Neil Watson tomorrow and the beach club on CocoCay as the price went down a lot a couple of weeks ago.  

• Like 2

Hi Jean!  Thanks for posting about the 3 Day cruise.  I am about to do a 4day-3day B2B on Reflection in a few weeks and would love to know if there are a lot of kids running around.  My past experiences on Celebrity have been that there aren't a lot of kids, but didn't know if there would be more on the 3-4 day cruises because of the 3rd & 4th passengers go free.  I didn't even think about this when booking these dates last year.  Looking forward to hearing about Coco Cay.  I chose my B2B dates based on both cruises going to Coco Cay.  I still get a full 7 days but get Coco twice this way.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jetsetting Bliss said:

Hi Jean!  Thanks for posting about the 3 Day cruise.  I am about to do a 4day-3day B2B on Reflection in a few weeks and would love to know if there are a lot of kids running around.  My past experiences on Celebrity have been that there aren't a lot of kids, but didn't know if there would be more on the 3-4 day cruises because of the 3rd & 4th passengers go free.  I didn't even think about this when booking these dates last year.  Looking forward to hearing about Coco Cay.  I chose my B2B dates based on both cruises going to Coco Cay.  I still get a full 7 days but get Coco twice this way.  

Lots of kids and young adults.  Not many old ones like us!  Sitting in OVC now surrounded by kids.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jean87510 said:

I didn't really get the hype about Blu when we were on the Equinox

I didn't like Blu either and I tried Blu on Summit

• Like 1

We decided on this vacation we were going to be as casual as possible.  We have 1 reservation at the Lawn Club on Sunday but have only packed skorts, shorts, Keen hiking sandals...etc...no evening gowns or tuxes.  We agreed on 2 carry-ons and 1 big bag for the snorkeling stuff.  

Because of our dress attire, we are in OVC.  I seriously do not understand why people complain about the buffet.  Salads are great, cheeses, breads, pizza, ice cream, just overall a good variety.  Husband unfortunately has to work while onboard today but commented the internet is amazingly fast

We decided to make it an early night and currently relaxing in cabin while Husband finishes last emails, check on my 2 dogs who are being watched by my youngest 2, and then sit on the balcony to watch the Phillies.  It was about 90 degrees when we left.  

• Like 1

Husband just remarked he would love to jet ski at CocoCay.  Guess it's time to call concierge as it appears to be sold out.  Hoping the concierge can help.....

3 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

See I knew there were others out there!

Ha I thought I was alone because everyone keeps raving about it, then I'm like 'I don't get it it wasn't great' 

I know food is subjective but yeah we are in the minority

• Haha 1

Belated bon voyage!

Last time we were in Blu was on Summit in 2022.  I don’t recall anything repulsive about the food, but I do remember it being an absolutely packed madhouse.  The tables were entirely too close together and the aisle ways were barely wide enough for the waitpersons to navigate.  Fortunately on the second night and every night thereafter we were seated all the way to the rear of the restaurant in a row of four two-tops against the back wall which was really more like a communal eight-top, but it was fine.  At least our neighbors spoke to us unlike the first night.  Luminae seating is much more pleasantly spread out.

I am looking forward to reading about your plans on Bimini in the unlikely event that we ever end up there again.

When is your Emerald cruise?  I am very interested in following a live report on that, so I do hope you are able to do one.  Their ships (or do they call them yachts?) are flipping gorgeous, but gosh what if you end up with a huge group like a family reunion or God knows what?!?  Just had a friend tell me about his similar Seadream nightmare.  Definitely could be an on board vibe changer.

I think I read that Ocean Cay is back open.  Yay!🤪

Thanks for reporting.  Enjoy your weekend!😁

1 hour ago, Lena11033 said:

I didn't like Blu either and I tried Blu on Summit

We are just off the 4 night sailing this past Monday thru Friday in Aqua. Booked because it was half the price per day it is on most Celebrity sailings.Absolutely LOVED Blu !!! First night had filet mignon and the second night rack of lamb. Celebrity has eliminated both from ALL MDR menus !!! Third night was Tuscan (Murano was sold out) and last night was Lawn Club Grill. Absolutely amazing dining experience !!!

6 hours ago, jean87510 said:

We decided on this vacation we were going to be as casual as possible.  We have 1 reservation at the Lawn Club on Sunday but have only packed skorts, shorts, Keen hiking sandals...etc...no evening gowns or tuxes.  We agreed on 2 carry-ons and 1 big bag for the snorkeling stuff.  

Because of our dress attire, we are in OVC.  I seriously do not understand why people complain about the buffet.  Salads are great, cheeses, breads, pizza, ice cream, just overall a good variety.  Husband unfortunately has to work while onboard today but commented the internet is amazingly fast

We decided to make it an early night and currently relaxing in cabin while Husband finishes last emails, check on my 2 dogs who are being watched by my youngest 2, and then sit on the balcony to watch the Phillies.  It was about 90 degrees when we left.  

We did this cruise several weeks ago.  We tried a lot of food on the buffet; yes there is a wide variety, but it is just ok.

8 hours ago, Stem to Stern said:

Belated bon voyage!

Last time we were in Blu was on Summit in 2022.  I don’t recall anything repulsive about the food, but I do remember it being an absolutely packed madhouse.  The tables were entirely too close together and the aisle ways were barely wide enough for the waitpersons to navigate.  Fortunately on the second night and every night thereafter we were seated all the way to the rear of the restaurant in a row of four two-tops against the back wall which was really more like a communal eight-top, but it was fine.  At least our neighbors spoke to us unlike the first night.  Luminae seating is much more pleasantly spread out.

I am looking forward to reading about your plans on Bimini in the unlikely event that we ever end up there again.

When is your Emerald cruise?  I am very interested in following a live report on that, so I do hope you are able to do one.  Their ships (or do they call them yachts?) are flipping gorgeous, but gosh what if you end up with a huge group like a family reunion or God knows what?!?  Just had a friend tell me about his similar Seadream nightmare.  Definitely could be an on board vibe changer.

I think I read that Ocean Cay is back open.  Yay!🤪

Thanks for reporting.  Enjoy your weekend!😁

Emerald is December 2025.  Yes, Ocean Cay back open!  Going on MSC Seashore with my daughter June 2. 

Hmm.  Never considered large family group.  That may be dicey.

Day 2 early am approaching Bimini.

Early riser and gym rat here.  Went to buffet to get a free coffee and trying to avoid Bachio as I would definitely prefer that!  Decided to head to gym around 530 and see if I got lucky and it was open.  I got lucky!  About 6 others in there as well.  Did my 1 hour jog and headed back to cabin to get ready for Bimini.  

Looks like Solarium has a family time which is nice.  Also 2 Peloton bikes in gym.  

20240525_052455.jpg

20240525_052945.jpg

• Like 2

One nice thing about the buffets on Celebrity is the muffin people and coffee people walking around offering their items.  We were just on the NCL Spirit back in March from Sydney to Tahiti and every day it was lines and low items (ice, water, milk, coffee).  

My husband is saying he really likes Celebrity the best but hates the pricing.  I think for port intensive, any room is fine, honestly.  We had an inside on the Spirit for 15 days and it was fine.  Of course I'd love a suite every time!  

Back from our excursion.  We decided to just return to ship for lunch.  We went up to Deck 15 to the Mast grill.  Tried a cheeseburger and fries. Not very crowded.  There is a bar up there plus a soft serve machine, water, juices (the free stuff).  The burger was ok.  I'm picky and not a fan of premade frozen slabs of meat.  But in a crunch, it worked.  

One thing I have noticed is the staff constantly cleaning and asking if you need drink refills.  Noted this yesterday as well.  Never could get anyone's attention on NCL.  MSC well, of course because we were in YC.  

Surprised how many people were going OFF the ship at 1pm.  Our onboard is 430pm so I suspect we will be leaving around 6.  We shall see.

Wifi continues to amaze me with it's speed.

• Like 2

I did check out the cabanas at the lawn club.  Hot as hell up there.  There is shade but it is truly awful with the heat.  I saw 1 occupied and they looked uncomfortable.

Following! I’ll be doing this cruise next month as a b2b with a 4 night following.  I’ve  never done a 3 night cruise and interested to see what the vibe and entertainment is like.  I’ve found even on 7 day cruises Celebrity seems to have a very different vibe on summer Caribbean cruises. I’m preparing myself for a similar atmosphere on this one.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jetsetting Bliss said:

In January 2024, I was on Reflections for a 4 nite sailing to Bimini and Nassau.  It wasn’t crowded anywhere, tables readily available at Oceanview buffet, always a lounger to be found, and you could count the number of kids on one hand. Several days I passed the kids club and it was closed due to lack of attendance.  I was on Reflections this week, May 20-24.  There were lots of babies, toddlers, young kids, teens, and young adults. Lots of large families. It was crowded everywhere I went, loungers always full, pool elbow to elbow,  no tables to be found at lunch or dinner in the Buffett. I think the kids sail free and third/fourth free promotion really drew folks from RCL to Celebrity for the great prices   Still had a great cruise. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, GenerationX said:

Following! I’ll be doing this cruise next month as a b2b with a 4 night following.  I’ve  never done a 3 night cruise and interested to see what the vibe and entertainment is like.  I’ve found even on 7 day cruises Celebrity seems to have a very different vibe on summer Caribbean cruises. I’m preparing myself for a similar atmosphere on this one.

hi there..

I'll be looking for your review!

Doing a b2b  means a return to port and starting anew!  Interesting !

2 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Back from our excursion.  We decided to just return to ship for lunch.  We went up to Deck 15 to the Mast grill.  Tried a cheeseburger and fries. Not very crowded.  There is a bar up there plus a soft serve machine, water, juices (the free stuff).  The burger was ok.  I'm picky and not a fan of premade frozen slabs of meat.  But in a crunch, it worked.  

One thing I have noticed is the staff constantly cleaning and asking if you need drink refills.  Noted this yesterday as well.  Never could get anyone's attention on NCL.  MSC well, of course because we were in YC.  

Surprised how many people were going OFF the ship at 1pm.  Our onboard is 430pm so I suspect we will be leaving around 6.  We shall see.

Wifi continues to amaze me with it's speed.

how was your excursion?

42 minutes ago, hcat said:

how was your excursion?

It was pretty good.  Waiting for pictures to upload from underwater camera to tablet to Amazon photos which usually gives us problems.

Went down to get a couple of sodas from the bar on 4 as it's the Elite HH.  Being a frequent cruiser on RCCL, this is one area where I really wish Celebrity would copy RCCL.  It's so much easier to have drinks spread throughout the day.  And I really wish they had a lounge for coffee in the am.  Just wishful thinking.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sharonslex said:

In January 2024, I was on Reflections for a 4 nite sailing to Bimini and Nassau.  It wasn’t crowded anywhere, tables readily available at Oceanview buffet, always a lounger to be found, and you could count the number of kids on one hand. Several days I passed the kids club and it was closed due to lack of attendance.  I was on Reflections this week, May 20-24.  There were lots of babies, toddlers, young kids, teens, and young adults. Lots of large families. It was crowded everywhere I went, loungers always full, pool elbow to elbow,  no tables to be found at lunch or dinner in the Buffett. I think the kids sail free and third/fourth free promotion really drew folks from RCL to Celebrity for the great prices   Still had a great cruise. 

Thanks for the info.  I sincerely appreciate it.  I was thinking about a B2B next May 18-26, but now I will move it back even further to the May 10-18 dates. 

I will post from my B2B in a few weeks.