Memorial Day weekend on the Reflection. 3 days of Bahama bliss

Posted (edited)

Today we did an excursion with Neil Watson Excursions.  We booked directly with their website.  Communication was easy and quick responses.  We got off the ship and opted to walk to the gate rather than take the tram as we like walking as much as possible.  Taxis are $5 pp.  Regardless of where.  Got to the Big Game resort where the excursion started.  Filled out the forms and were on our way.  There were 12 of us.

First stop was the Sapona about 30 minute boat ride.  They have snorkeling vests and masks plus fins.  We opted out of the vests and have our own gear.  We jumped in and swam around the ship.  It was very amazing viewing this.

I would like to note we were given great instructions on where to start and what to see as we were independent.  The others stayed with 2 guides.

After we were done, we then went to the sharks.  Here I was a little nervous because I thought they were nurse sharks.  Not exactly!  I saw quite a few in the wild last month in Bora Bora and Moorea as well as Vanuatu so I was jittery.  But the guides were great.  They explained exactly what to do and reassured us (I wasn't the only one who was hesitant).  So I went in and loved it.  There were scuba divers there as well.  What an amazing experience!

I was not a fan of Bimini as the other time we were here we went to Radio Beach and I just didn't like it.  Too many jet skis and too crowded.  If I ever come back, I'll definitely use these guys.  No drink or food provided other than water which was fine.

IMG_20240525_174006_623.jpg

IMG_20240525_161428_809.jpg

IMG_20240525_161428_862.jpg

IMG_20240525_174006_666.jpg

IMG_20240525_174006_694.jpg

IMG_20240525_174006_523.jpg

IMG_20240525_174006_586.jpg

IMG_20240525_174006_826.jpg

P5250009.JPG

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 6

47 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

Went down to get a couple of sodas from the bar on 4 as it's the Elite HH.  Being a frequent cruiser on RCCL, this is one area where I really wish Celebrity would copy RCCL.  It's so much easier to have drinks spread throughout the day.  And I really wish they had a lounge for coffee in the am.  Just wishful thinking.

There is an Lite breakfast/ coffee hr.. Not sure is E plus only or if it  includes Elite.

Cafe Baccio has am coffee set up to go.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hcat said:

There is an Lite breakfast/ coffee hr.. Not sure is E plus only or if it  includes Elite.

It is for Elite and above.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, hcat said:

Great!  Will have to investigate in the am.

6 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

Just found my 1st duck.  I gave it to a little girl having a crying spell in the Solarium.  Tears instantly stopped.  Big smile.  

Nothing like a good crying spell in the solarium.  Sounds like you saved the day!  Your fellow solarium dwellers should have bought you a round!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Nothing like a good crying spell in the solarium.  Sounds like you saved the day!  Your fellow solarium dwellers should have bought you a round!

Exactly especially since the Elite HH is over...😁

• Like 2

Day 3 CocoCay

Did my morning run early today so we could get started at good time today.  I did go down to Cafe Bachio for the free coffee but alas, none was there!  No problem.  Just grabbed a cup of the "coffee" at the OVC.  

Currently at CocoCay.  We have the Allure with us today.  Bit of sharing - I am not a fan of CocoCay and probably will avoid any bookings in the future that include it.  BUT hey it's a vacation and the Bahamas so I intend to have fun.  A couple of weeks ago I was able to get the Beach Club for $114 pp.  😳.  Yes, I was shocked.  I thought well why not even though I don't personally think it's worth it.  I've been here before and really didn't like the food at all.  But did like the chairs, pool, service so I thought hmm.  Anyway, we are here today and already it is looking good.  We were offered a flavored water in a glass (!) on arrival.  Instantly referred to make our lunch reservations and was able to get noon.  Currently relaxing and waiting until 1030 to get our southwest seat assignments.  I hate southwest but husband does the flights and that's what chase points had for the cheapest.

We did contemplate Hideaway as it was really cheap that same day ($23 pp).  However, I figured the loud music would drive these 59 year old ears crazy so even though the pizza looked tempting, the rest didn't.  😜

20240526_085222.jpg

20240526_085207.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Short cruise better than no cruise.  Enjoy.

i don’t understand what could possibly be wrong with the food at the Beach Club..I’ve been there twice, everything was great..drink service etc..you got a good price for sure. 

just saw your age comment, Wife and I are the same..I could handle the tunes.  🙂

Edited by PTC DAWG

43 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Short cruise better than no cruise.  Enjoy.

i don’t understand what could possibly be wrong with the food at the Beach Club..I’ve been there twice, everything was great..drink service etc..you got a good price for sure. 

just saw your age comment, Wife and I are the same..I could handle the tunes.  🙂

I am limited as I don't eat anything in the water or nuts.  We didn't have a good experience last time in Restaurant.  We ate at 130 and they ran out of lobster for husband, brownie was stale, steak or meat was cold.  I ate carrots, celery and food at south beach.  That was the only negative of the day.  And the endless repeating soundtrack.  So for us, no the restaurant was not worth the price.  Today however we are going to try again.  So far it's been nice with clouds breaking up the sun.  Not very crowded today surprisingly.  

I can handle tunes.  Not the volume.  Was like this in my 20s.  Hate loud TVs as well.  

You should have been invited to the Elite breakfast, where you would go for complimentary specialty coffees. It sounds like you might’ve missed that? But it starts at 8 am. I can’t remember if it’s on disembarkation day or not.

I agree, I love the Diamond Lounge and the drinks posted to sea pass card on Royal.

49 minutes ago, BeeMinor said:

Thanks for posting! I am on a similar 3 night itinerary in July. Do you have a night designated as Evening Chic?

yes, day 2.

• Thanks 1

Day 3 still at CocoCay sometime in the afternoon.

Wow!  Just had lunch.  Have changed my mind.  I always believe in 2nd chances and am so glad I did!

Started with the appetizers.  Very good and cold which we like especially on a hot day.  I ordered a hard cider which went well with the meal plus ice water.  Our waiter suggested surf and turf (lobster plus filet mignon).  I decided to get Caesar salad plus the burger.  Burger was ok.  As I have stated, I hate precut frozen burger slabs.  BUT the fries and salad were very good as was the bun.  We both opted for the mango sorbet which was delicious.

Afterwards we swam in the ocean then hung out in pool.  People were all happy, drinking, talking.  Great scene.  Very happy I chose the pass today especially as I look over at South Beach 😳

Was hoping to see the balloon take off but not so far.

20240526_121926.jpg

20240526_120523.jpg

20240526_084302.jpg

20240526_094312.jpg

20240526_094354.jpg

20240526_083539.jpg

• Like 5

Picture of husband's surf and turf.  

We ended the last ones to leave the Beach Club including all the cabanas.  Great day and perfect.  We are the active type who have ants in our pants so normally sitting on a chair all day would be a no.  But not today.  We enjoyed the pool and the ocean.  

We do have a reservation at the Lawn Club Grill later and then may catch a show or people watch.

20240526_121844-1.jpg

• Like 3

Made it to the Lawn Club grill.  We had prebooked this to try as we have been to the other specialty restaurants before on other ships and wanted to give it a shot.  It is outside.  No fans.  Our reservation was at 6pm.  I found it comfortable.  

You have a selection of flatbreads, a salad bar and then the entrées with sides.  My apologies for no pictures of menus as I was charging my phone in the cabin.  I chose the BBQ chicken flatbread and my husband chose the sausage and peppers.  There is a pizza oven outside that they make it in.  We both chose from salad bar.  Our entrées were beef kabobs plus my husband ordered shrimp kebabs and lobster mac and cheese.  Service was quick.  We watched the chef prepare our meal.  We ended with a blueberry cobbler and a cheesecake.  Whole meal time wise was 50 minutes.

There was quite a few people there.  One family had a member who was furious the venue was outside and they all got up and left.

I really liked it.  I love places that don't make you sit forever to eat.  I don't enjoy sitting for an hour or 2 eating bread and drinking endless glasses of water.  I don't do this at home.  We eat and go.  Sorry, we are not ones who linger.

• Like 2

Day 4 Fort Lauderdale.

Was able to get a quick run in this am.  Beautiful sunrise while I jogged.  Went to grab coffee and tripped over suitcases by the coffee station at 630 am.  I'm ok but I will never understand this dragging suitcases around a busy buffet.  Maybe day 1 but come on.  Leave them in your room!!

16 minutes ago, CelebrityHybrid said:

We were able to get free coffee on our deck every morning at the Hideaway.

Really nice quiet and comfortable area (glassed in doors for the cabins)

so almost an enclosed lounge 

(Reduced noise to the cabins) 

We were on the sailing before yours and thought the food in all the speciality restaurants was 10/10

Murano was exceptional 

Hideaway Deck 7 (Free for all)

IMG_8779.thumb.jpeg.8540e7d45c592d2daa3a67180d037d9f.jpeg

IMG_8777.thumb.jpeg.991c5312a54ad7310aaba10b9282dbe2.jpeg

IMG_8609.thumb.jpeg.60e81eda498fe244c56d5de4c720b255.jpeg

Thank you for your review 

oh no!  Missed this one completely!

My next sailing is in 6 days on MSC YC so I know I'll get my specialty coffee fix!

A few people in line this morning were raving about Murano.

• Like 1

Made it to FLL in good time.  Elevators were a mob scene this am.  We ended up going up then down to 5.  Facial recognition always good here!  Mob of people for ride sharing.  We walked to the right and got a taxi for $20.  Lyft this am was pricing at $40.  No thanks.  Waiting for our SW flight to BWI then a 2 hr drive home to South Jersey.

Summary:  Nice 3 day MDW trip.  We just wanted to go anywhere not the northeast this weekend.  I did end up enjoying both Bimini and CocoCay.  I do prefer the southern Caribbean routes with the ABCs.  I always have enjoyed Celebrity, the food, the service.

Only complaint is the Elite HH.  Being a frequent RCCL cruiser with my 5 drinks all day, I really dislike this 2 hr HH which has a limited menu and can't apparently be used at specialty restaurants.  We are not big enough drinkers to make a drink package work.  It was back to basics on this cruise just drinking water or buffet coffee.  Yes, probably could have bought it individually and we did on CocoCay.  Just my opinion that vouchers all day are working for Royal, why not Celebrity?  Of course I sail infrequently on Celebrity so I just am not used to it.  Was it a deal breaker where my cruise was terrible and I'll never return to Celebrity?  Absolutely not.

I absolutely loved the app onboard.  It was very nice to go through activities and pick a show, a gym class and then get a reminder on your phone.

Wifi was excellent throughout cruise.

Our RA was thorough and very nice.  He was upset we never touched the canapes and I explained we really don't eat them.  Last night he brought us cookies.  I made my husband eat them as I felt bad.

We had rambunctious teenagers on our floor who I think were celebrating HS graduation.  They were pretty noisy last night but then I heard an adult yelling around 1230am and it quieted down.

4 minutes ago, CelebrityHybrid said:

A good excuse to sail on X again to go to Murano 😉

Enjoy the YC, we have only sailed MSC 6 times, all in YC.

Still one of the best across all the lines for the Suite all in experience IMO.

We think Seashore is the best, with Meraviglia a close second.

Have a great crusie 😎

Are you going to do a Seashore review - Please 🙏🏻 

yep.  Will be different as my 22 yr old is on with me and she is not like her father who has to be constantly doing non stop active excursions.  She just wants to see pigs, turtles, stingrays and the YC.  I may get a chance to enjoy a drink!

thanks for the nice review!

Sorry, I totally forgot about the Hideaway...been on E Class ships for awhile.

I think we would try Coco Cay if we could find a quiet spot  but we used to  enjoy it in its more natural state..

• Like 1

On 5/25/2024 at 6:17 PM, hcat said:

Thank you for the detailed information, I found it really helpful. I wanted to book the snorkel tour with Neal scuba center too. But the only morning tour they offer starts at 8:30 am. Did you have enough time to on your Bimini day to get off the ship and get to the meeting place before 8:30am? 

On 5/25/2024 at 5:56 PM, jean87510 said:

Today we did an excursion with Neil Watson Excursions.  We booked directly with their website.  Communication was easy and quick responses.  We got off the ship and opted to walk to the gate rather than take the tram as we like walking as much as possible.  Taxis are $5 pp.  Regardless of where.  Got to the Big Game resort where the excursion started.  Filled out the forms and were on our way.  There were 12 of us.

First stop was the Sapona about 30 minute boat ride.  They have snorkeling vests and masks plus fins.  We opted out of the vests and have our own gear.  We jumped in and swam around the ship.  It was very amazing viewing this.

I would like to note we were given great instructions on where to start and what to see as we were independent.  The others stayed with 2 guides.

After we were done, we then went to the sharks.  Here I was a little nervous because I thought they were nurse sharks.  Not exactly!  I saw quite a few in the wild last month in Bora Bora and Moorea as well as Vanuatu so I was jittery.  But the guides were great.  They explained exactly what to do and reassured us (I wasn't the only one who was hesitant).  So I went in and loved it.  There were scuba divers there as well.  What an amazing experience!

I was not a fan of Bimini as the other time we were here we went to Radio Beach and I just didn't like it.  Too many jet skis and too crowded.  If I ever come back, I'll definitely use these guys.  No drink or food provided other than water which was fine.

IMG_20240525_174006_623.jpg

IMG_20240525_161428_809.jpg

IMG_20240525_161428_862.jpg

IMG_20240525_174006_666.jpg

IMG_20240525_174006_694.jpg

IMG_20240525_174006_523.jpg

IMG_20240525_174006_586.jpg

IMG_20240525_174006_826.jpg

P5250009.JPG

Thank you for the detailed information, I found it really helpful. I wanted to book the snorkel tour with Neal scuba center too. But the only morning tour they offer starts at 8:30 am. Did you have enough time to on your Bimini day to get off the ship and get to the meeting place before 8:30am? 

51 minutes ago, Susio said:

yes.  You can take the free shuttle or walk to the entrance.  Once at entrance go to the left for the taxis.  We were there in plenty of time.