Crowds - any ship options for less crowds?

Posted (edited)

We just returned from the Summit last fall and Reflection this spring. We really don't want to return for another cruise with the crowds we've found when trying to find a table for meals and for trying to find a lounger anywhere. 

Are there any Celebrity or RCCL ships that are best for feeling less crowded? I think cruising is back to 100% which is great for cruiselines but not so much for vacationing on one. Thanks!

Edited by Escruiser1962
missing a word

All Cruise Lines and Ships are now sailing at Full Capacity!

That is the norm. In fact, ships are overbooking and people are not being able to board at the port due to overbooking like the airlines. 

Sorry!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Oxo said:

That is the norm. In fact, ships are overbooking and people are not being able to board at the port due to overbooking like the airlines. 

Sorry!

That's okay! I figured there wouldn't be any solution. LOL Well, we can vacation other ways besides cruising. Thought I'd try and ask anyway. I appreciate your responding!

Actually many of the larger, higher capacity ships have more space and venues dedicated to handling the capacity and IMO feel less crowded than the smaller ships.  But larger capacity is just that, and ships typically are scaled with increasing capacity with increasing size.  Maybe try the older Vision or Radiance class ships with RCCL?

But if you feel the crowds were large on the ships you reference, than maybe some of the premium cruise lines with smaller ships and far less passenger capacity would be a better consideration for you.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Sorry!

Curious about this overbooking - the people not being able to board... are they the passengers that have book guaranteed instead of a specific cabin? I wouldn't think it's likely that they'd book 2 reservations for one cabin number. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Escruiser1962 said:

Curious about this overbooking - the people not being able to board... are they the passengers that have book guaranteed instead of a specific cabin? I wouldn't think it's likely that they'd book 2 reservations for one cabin number. 

This is not at all a typical cruise line practice and I would ask @Oxo to provide specific documented examples of this.  Airlines do this as they have historic data on last minute passenger cancelations and can provide numerous alternative flights to get these overbooked passengers from point A to point B.  Not so with a planned vacation on a cruise ship.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Actually many of the larger, higher capacity ships have more space and venues dedicated to handling the capacity and IMO feel less crowded than the smaller ships.  But larger capacity is just that, and ships typically are scaled with increasing capacity with increasing size.  Maybe try the older Vision or Radiance class ships with RCCL?

But if you feel the crowds were large on the ships you reference, than maybe some of the premium cruise lines with smaller ships and far less passenger capacity would be a better consideration for you.

Good information thanks! I was just concerned that larger ships with 100% capacity would feel crazy crowded even with the larger spaces. I was looking at the Icon of the Seas and there's reports that the pool and lounger area has been downsized on the ship. Yikes

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Escruiser1962 said:

We just returned from the Summit last fall and Reflection this spring. We really don't want to return for another cruise with the crowds we've found when trying to find a table for meals and for trying to find a lounger anywhere. 

Are there any Celebrity or RCCL ships that are best for feeling less crowded? I think cruising is back to 100% which is great for cruiselines but not so much for vacationing on one. Thanks!

As you can see, less passengers does not mean less crowds--ships R simply smaller.

You could TRY sailing "off season"--avoid holidays, spring break, summer. 

But there is less & less official off season anymore.

The time between the weekend after Thanksgiving typically has the least demand...but lines have become very good at having fewer ships out at that time, so while it may be their "slow season" you may not feel it as a passenger.

Agree with another poster--you could try more luxury lines which have fewer passengers, but you pay a premium for that.

We sailed about 6 weeks after restart in 2021. 1/3 full--it was AMAZING.

We commented that we would pay more for that...tho we sure haven't as of yet!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Escruiser1962 said:

It might help if you say when and where you want to go

1 minute ago, Escruiser1962 said:

Good information thanks! I was just concerned that larger ships with 100% capacity would feel crazy crowded even with the larger spaces. I was looking at the Icon of the Seas and there's reports that the pool and lounger area has been downsized on the ship. Yikes

Icon is the worlds largest cruise ship both in terms of gross tonnage and maximum passenger capacity.  It is also RCCL's newest and as a result booked well in advance.  Most mass market cruise lines are following the trend that bigger is better, and for bookings and revenue, they are correct.  But my suggestion to look at the smaller ship premium lines would provide a valid comparison with far less crowds.

• Like 4

I would recommend a suite if you can handle the price. They have areas that are less crowded that you can "retreat" to. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

This is not at all a typical cruise line practice and I would ask @Oxo to provide specific documented examples of this.  Airlines do this as they have historic data on last minute passenger cancelations and can provide numerous alternative flights to get these passengers from point A to point B.  Not so with a planned vacation on a cruise ship.

It does happen. 

Just like airlines, they use an algorithm to determine average number of cancellations.

A few years ago we met a couple who had been called the week before the cruise with a rebook offer since our 7 day Spring Break cruise was overbooked.

They had a balcony--they were offered to be moved to a suite on a 10 day cruise leaving the same day & port, with $1000 OBC.

THEY TURNED IT DOWN--they couldn't possibly leave their friends to sail alone on this sailing! (um, with that offer, they appear desperate--ask for your friends to get the deal too!)

The couple we were sailing with agreed with us--TAKE THE BETTER DEAL & HAVE FUN!

Trust me, SOMEONE will take that deal. 

(yes, some cannot with schedules, but many can)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tudy said:

I would recommend a suite if you can handle the price. They have areas that are less crowded that you can "retreat" to. 

We did Retreat last April.

While you do have your own pool, lounge & restaurant, to do all the other activities you must be with the "masses" (they do hold an area of seats in the theatre until 10 min prior to showtime)

If one mostly stays in the Retreat area, there are fewer crowds to be sure.

IDK, on any ship, we just learn when & where crowds tend to be & avoid them...come early, come later or avoid that venue entirely.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Escruiser1962 said:

That's okay! I figured there wouldn't be any solution. LOL Well, we can vacation other ways besides cruising. Thought I'd try and ask anyway. I appreciate your responding!

Booking in Retreat may alleviate some of the items you listed.   Other cruise lines also have similar.   Unfortunately when you travel with the masses you become part of the mass.

For meals you may consider eating at non-prime time. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, KKB said:

It does happen. 

Just like airlines, they use an algorithm to determine average number of cancellations.

A few years ago we met a couple who had been called the week before the cruise with a rebook offer since our 7 day Spring Break cruise was overbooked.

They had a balcony--they were offered to be moved to a suite on a 10 day cruise leaving the same day & port, with $1000 OBC.

Huge negative business risk to book - or overbook - based solely on analytics. The rare anecdotal occasion mentioned where something happened with a booking resulting in someone being turned away or offered a rebooking does not mean overbooking is a common practice.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, KKB said:

We did Retreat last April.

While you do have your own pool, lounge & restaurant, to do all the other activities you must be with the "masses" (they do hold an area of seats in the theatre until 10 min prior to showtime)

If one mostly stays in the Retreat area, there are fewer crowds to be sure.

IDK, on any ship, we just learn when & where crowds tend to be & avoid them...come early, come later or avoid that venue entirely.

We tried everything for lunch at oceanview cafe and finding a table was crazy. It was just a 4 night cruise mid May 2024.

Just now, leaveitallbehind said:

Huge negative business risk to book - or overbook - based solely on analytics. The rare anecdotal occasion mentioned where something happened with a booking resulting in someone being turned away or offered a rebooking does not mean it is common practice.

Trust me, the stats guys will tell you otherwise.

They are profiting by filling as many rooms as possible & selling them at the highest price possible.

So if they can sell guarantees at a higher rate than last minute deals, they will, knowing that on average X% will cancel.

Obviously when dealing in numbers, reality doesn't always match.

So they start calling people & offer to move them to another ship that DOES have open rooms (with some perks that cost the cruise line little to toss your way)--TA DA, NOW you have passengers in those empty rooms. (most profit is made by the $ passengers spend while on the ship, not the original fare)

They know the ages of passengers--those of retirement age are more likely to have the flexibility to do such a change, so that is who they call first.

It's not terribly different than what airlines do. 

And it's honestly impressive--they clearly are MUCH better at it, as there are fewer requests for people to take bumps on flights (at least in my experience--but have been flying at least 2 flights/month for 2 years, perhaps every 2 months or so for the 30 years prior), and fewer of those VERY last minute cruising deals we used to come across.

They use that data to fine tune & maximize profit. 

(yes, it occasionally costs a little to offer vouchers, credits, etc; but in the long run, it makes them $ or they won't do it)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Escruiser1962 said:

We tried everything for lunch at oceanview cafe and finding a table was crazy. It was just a 4 night cruise mid May 2024.

Even at say 11AM? 2PM?

Did you consider the main restaurant, Mast Grill (burgers) or the Spa Cafe (mini buffet of lighter offerings)?

4 night cruises tend to be a bit crazier & mid-May you likely got some college students who just finished semester. 

As far as eating in the OVC, go when it first opens and have a much better selection of seats, not to mention food presentation and less crowds.  There are strategies for everything, as ships cater to the masses...

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, KKB said:

Trust me, the stats guys will tell you otherwise.

They are profiting by filling as many rooms as possible & selling them at the highest price possible..........

I'm not arguing analytics.  I'm simply stating that I don't believe the cruise lines are routinely making a general widespread practice of overbooking cruises at the risk of passengers being denied boarding.  IMO if this was the case we would be hearing loud and long media and anti cruise groups reporting of the practice documenting the stories of those passengers denied boarding and stranded at the pier.  It would be front and center news.

• Like 2

There are options to get the feeling of more space on both Celebrity and RC…As this is a Celebrity forum I suggest…

Look at booking a Cabana on sea days…Not cheap but guaranteed space and a touch of being looked after.

Look at booking a suite with access to specific suite areas…

If you don’t want to pick up excessive suite price increases try these tips. Some do have additional $ costs but can be worth it. Sea days are usually the ones where crowding is an issue so… Why not on sea days do the following…

Enjoy a late start, book a light breakfast in your cabin and simply relax…

At lunchtime pre book either Suchi on Five or if on a ship that has it Lawn grill or The Porch. Not mega expensive and you have a relaxing lunch away from the buffet crowds.

In the afternoon look at enjoying something inside… There is often an afternoon broadway show, or stroll around the decks, watch a movie or simply enjoy a bar or your balcony. About 3.30 - 4pm head to the sun deck. People will be beginning to head off out of the sun…You head into it and enjoy a dip and some sun at its lower and more enjoyable best. Relax, enjoy…

Head back to your room to get ready for the evening. In the evening head off to the speciality restaurant you managed to book at a discount because you were happy to book a late time or simply head to the MDR knowing you have had a relaxing and unstressed day unlike those who have spent the day ‘guarding’ or ‘searching’ for space…

35 minutes ago, Escruiser1962 said:

I honestly think there are solutions, it is that sometimes you do have to be creative. If you know certain areas are going to be busy then choose an alternative…I always find that if something doesn’t work then don’t keep battling it. A long time ago we decided to make sea days special by doing what most people didn’t…

So much about enjoying any vacation is about making it work for you…

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I'm not arguing analytics.  I'm simply stating that I don't believe the cruise lines are routinely making a general practice of overbooking cruises at the risk of passengers being denied boarding.  IMO if this was the case we would be hearing loud and long media and anti cruise groups reporting of the practice documenting the stories of those passengers denied boarding and stranded at the pier.  It would be front and center news.

You don't hear it because it doesn't happen--SOMEONE will take the better deal! (I'm usually first in line!).

Planes offer higher & higher voucher amounts until SOMEONE takes it.

Cruises do the same.

So actually you hear HAPPY people--"We got this amazing offer to change to this ship...."

7 minutes ago, KKB said:

Even at say 11AM? 2PM?

Did you consider the main restaurant, Mast Grill (burgers) or the Spa Cafe (mini buffet of lighter offerings)?

4 night cruises tend to be a bit crazier & mid-May you likely got some college students who just finished semester. 

The cruise was definitely 100% capacity May 12-17 we know that no matter the mix of ages which seemed 25-75 evenly. We did have our own kind of itinerary that we were trying to keep with Key West and Coco Cay figuring breakfast and lunch. Didn't want hamburgers and just wanted to eat quickly and carry on.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I'm not arguing analytics.  I'm simply stating that I don't believe the cruise lines are routinely making a general practice of overbooking cruises at the risk of passengers being denied boarding.  IMO if this was the case we would be hearing loud and long media and anti cruise groups reporting of the practice documenting the stories of those passengers denied boarding and stranded at the pier.  It would be front and center news.

As a longtime cruiser I have to agree with you.    In the past 10 years plus I have only seen one report of a cabin being oversold.   I'm not sure even if it was on Celebrity.    In that case it was a couple on their honeymoon and in the end it was resolved and they got their original cabin.

For those that are pushing the oversold condition point to ACTUAL posts of that being reported. 

Celebrity and others may indeed

34 minutes ago, KKB said:

As you can see, less passengers does not mean less crowds--ships R simply smaller.

You could TRY sailing "off season"--avoid holidays, spring break, summer. 

But there is less & less official off season anymore.

The time between the weekend after Thanksgiving typically has the least demand...but lines have become very good at having fewer ships out at that time, so while it may be their "slow season" you may not feel it as a passenger.

Agree with another poster--you could try more luxury lines which have fewer passengers, but you pay a premium for that.

We sailed about 6 weeks after restart in 2021. 1/3 full--it was AMAZING.

We commented that we would pay more for that...tho we sure haven't as of yet!

I feel like we have gone off season mostly because lower prices and we're retired and live in Florida. Thanks!

• Like 2