Crowds - any ship options for less crowds?

1 minute ago, Escruiser1962 said:

The cruise was definitely 100% capacity May 12-17 we know that no matter the mix of ages which seemed 25-75 evenly. We did have our own kind of itinerary that we were trying to keep with Key West and Coco Cay figuring breakfast and lunch. Didn't want hamburgers and just wanted to eat quickly and carry on.

I get that. 

Unfortunately, everyone else was probably keeping a similar schedule!

And the buffet always takes the brunt of that .

I'm not a fan of lines or crowds either, so often tweak our movements to avoid such things.

More difficult to do on a shorter cruise.

I might suggest a longer cruise...perhaps a larger ship (seems counterintuitive, but there are then also more places for people to disperse). We LOVE Eclass ships (Apex, Ascent, Beyond, Edge).

3 minutes ago, Escruiser1962 said:

The cruise was definitely 100% capacity May 12-17 we know that no matter the mix of ages which seemed 25-75 evenly. We did have our own kind of itinerary that we were trying to keep with Key West and Coco Cay figuring breakfast and lunch. Didn't want hamburgers and just wanted to eat quickly and carry on.

Another option might be to order room service or pick up your food and either eat outside on the pool deck of return to your room. 

I always travel in suites but on port days often have to eat in MDR.   I've always been able to find a seat or ask an attendant who helps find a spot.  I will say we usually don't go until after 1:00

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Actually many of the larger, higher capacity ships have more space and venues dedicated to handling the capacity and IMO feel less crowded than the smaller ships.  But larger capacity is just that, and ships typically are scaled with increasing capacity with increasing size.  Maybe try the older Vision or Radiance class ships with RCCL?

But if you feel the crowds were large on the ships you reference, than maybe some of the premium cruise lines with smaller ships and far less passenger capacity would be a better consideration for you.

We were on Jewel (Radiance class) last year and it was definitively uncomfortably crowded! It was difficult to find a seat in public areas, and everywhere was so noisy. I ended up staying in our OV cabin a lot more than I'd planned. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

As far as eating in the OVC, go when it first opens and have a much better selection of seats, not to mention food presentation and less crowds.  There are strategies for everything, as ships cater to the masses...

I feel like I'm pretty savvy and intuitive about these kinds of decisions and strategies, but the smaller ships on short cruises just have been 100% capacity. It is what it is. All good. Just thought I'd ask about crowds on certain ships small or large at 100% nowadays.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, KKB said:

(I'm usually first in line!).....So actually you hear HAPPY people--"We got this amazing offer to change to this ship...."

We are going to agree to disagree and I'm done with the conversation.  Enjoy your fantastic overbooked cruise deals.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Jim_Iain said:

Another option might be to order room service or pick up your food and either eat outside on the pool deck of return to your room. 

I always travel in suites but on port days often have to eat in MDR.   I've always been able to find a seat or ask an attendant who helps find a spot.  I will say we usually don't go until after 1:00

Would love the suite option that would help! We've been choosing balcony for value.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Escruiser1962 said:

I feel like I'm pretty savvy and intuitive about these kinds of decisions and strategies, but the smaller ships on short cruises just have been 100% capacity. It is what it is. All good. Just thought I'd ask about crowds on certain ships small or large at 100% nowadays.

We do not do our first smaller ship until next May, a TA from Miami to Lisbon.  My DH and I are anything, but the norm on cruises, so will use the same strategies with a little tweaking onboard...LOL!  We do love traveling in suites, so that is a plus, but costs a lot more too.  Timing/planning helps too, but dependent on excursions etc.

We also stay away from the Caribbean too; we did that last December and found the crowds to be everywhere onboard and very slow-moving, mostly due to “float the boat” by a lot of Floridians who can just jump on a cruise and go with that Florida’ discount.  So, maybe a huge plus for some, just a negative for us.  Everyone is different with what they consider to be a great cruise, or one that is more appealing to their liking.  Differences make the world go round.  

Edited by Lastdance

1 hour ago, Escruiser1962 said:

Are there any Celebrity or RCCL ships that are best for feeling less crowded?

47 minutes ago, Escruiser1962 said:

That's okay! I figured there wouldn't be any solution. LOL Well, we can vacation other ways besides cruising. Thought I'd try and ask anyway. I appreciate your responding!

My suggestion is that you consider expanding your options beyond just Celebrity and RCCL ships.  Just because they don't offer what you are looking for doesn't mean it isn't available - you just need to consider cruise lines with smaller ships.  There are no shortage of options.  They do tend to cost more - sometimes a little, and sometimes a lot, but you get what you pay for.  If you pay for a large ship experience, you get a large ship experience.  It just depends what you're looking for.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KKB said:

I get that. 

Unfortunately, everyone else was probably keeping a similar schedule!

And the buffet always takes the brunt of that .

I'm not a fan of lines or crowds either, so often tweak our movements to avoid such things.

More difficult to do on a shorter cruise.

I might suggest a longer cruise...perhaps a larger ship (seems counterintuitive, but there are then also more places for people to disperse). We LOVE Eclass ships (Apex, Ascent, Beyond, Edge).

Thanks! It's been decades (80's and 90's) since we have cruised. Reentered starting with short cruises last fall since moving to FL and early retirement. Scared of longer cruises and just more crowds every day. haha It's all good!

52 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

This is not at all a typical cruise line practice and I would ask @Oxo to provide specific documented examples of this.  Airlines do this as they have historic data on last minute passenger cancelations and can provide numerous alternative flights to get these overbooked passengers from point A to point B.  Not so with a planned vacation on a cruise ship.

I hear you - not getting distracted with that tangent. I took the comment with a grain of salt. Thanks!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mnocket said:

My suggestion is that you consider expanding your options beyond just Celebrity and RCCL ships.  Just because they don't offer what you are looking for doesn't mean it isn't available - you just need to consider cruise lines with smaller ships.  There are no shortage of options.  They do tend to cost more - sometimes a little, and sometimes a lot, but you get what you pay for.  If you pay for a large ship experience, you get a large ship experience.  It just depends what you're looking for.

Yeah need to look at other options just thought I'd ask about the cruising industry, 100% capacity and crowding experiences. Thanks!

18 minutes ago, HeiPus said:

We were on Jewel (Radiance class) last year and it was definitively uncomfortably crowded! It was difficult to find a seat in public areas, and everywhere was so noisy. I ended up staying in our OV cabin a lot more than I'd planned. 

That's too bad. 😞 Of course it was a short cruise, but we moved about a lot and I only stepped out on our balcony for a second one time! haha Maybe will consider ocean view cabin next time because we didn't use the balcony. 

1 minute ago, Escruiser1962 said:

Yeah need to look at other options just thought I'd ask about the cruising industry, 100% capacity and crowding experiences. Thanks!

I was where you seem to be now - just fed up with overcrowding on my usual cruise lines.  I guess as we get older, for some of us our tolerance for crowds and waiting in lines evaporates.  My solution was to step up to lines such as Regent, Windstar and Atlas. I've no loyalty to any cruise line and I'll undoubtedly be trying some other small ship experiences in the future.  Sure, I'm paying more, but I'm getting something I enjoy more too😃

• Like 4

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

This is not at all a typical cruise line practice and I would ask @Oxo to provide specific documented examples of this.  Airlines do this as they have historic data on last minute passenger cancelations and can provide numerous alternative flights to get these overbooked passengers from point A to point B.  Not so with a planned vacation on a cruise ship.

It is certainly not typical, but yes there have been several news articles about passengers getting bumped due to overbooking.  A quick Google will tell you that.  I haven't read about any lately but it did happen not all that long ago to several cruise lines.  Don't recall if any were Celebrity.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, mnocket said:

I was where you seem to be now - just fed up with overcrowding on my usual cruise lines.  I guess as we get older, for some of us our tolerance for crowds and waiting in lines evaporates.  My solution was to step up to lines such as Regent, Windstar and Atlas. I've no loyalty to any cruise line and I'll undoubtedly be trying some other small ship experiences in the future.  Sure, I'm paying more, but I'm getting something I enjoy more too😃

Totally agree! Yes having done other land vacations, my threshold for crowds and waiting in line has evaporated. LOL I'm willing to pay more. I also am not a person booking a cruise years in advance. That sounds miserable. 🙂 This strategy won't work well for availability for ships at 100% capacity. haha

Edited by Escruiser1962
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I keep thinking the vacation situation will start to lull as people start looking at their credit card debt which is the largest in history.  So far I am still waiting.  You will not find what you are looking for, at least on Celebrity.  All ships are jammed these days.  I share your frustration.  This may sound incredibly selfish and self-serving, but as a senior with who knows how many years left to be able to do this, it gets frustrating to see everywhere I vacation so crowded.  It makes my remaining vacation travels much less fun (although for the record I truly make the best of it that I can).  Judge me as you will for saying that. 

Anyway..........you might find a little bit fewer crowds by booking suites and hanging out in the suite areas.  The E class Retreat areas are particularly nice, although IMHO I have found the rest of the ships on that class to be even more crowded and noisy than S or M class.  I would also recommend trying to book when kids are in school.  This is not a kids versus no kids comment - what I am meaning is that when families bring kids there are more people per cabin and therefore more crowded overall.  Just a fact.  Same goes for longer cruises (although there are fewer and fewer of those, especially in the Caribbean).  They may also be fairly full but usually filled with older people who are not out and about quite as much as the younger crowd.  The only other option as I see it is luxury lines with more space per passenger ratio, but those are often considerably more expensive.

• Like 3

"kids sail free",  4 in a cabin, & the move up program all lead to  ships sailing full...packed!

Nice to enjoy one's own balcony ;   go to the  outdoor pools,  solarium or hot tubs early,  if  possible.  Do your best to avoid loud and shouty areas! 

Dine early in MDRs &  book specialty dining res for lunch and dinner to avoid lines or beepers.

Unfortunately,  many people do not get off at certain ports like San Juan or Nassau...so it's  hard to get the ship to yourself anymore..but less crowded for awhile.

Hope others can share  their strategies!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I keep thinking the vacation situation will start to lull as people start looking at their credit card debt which is the largest in history.  So far I am still waiting.  You will not find what you are looking for, at least on Celebrity.  All ships are jammed these days.  I share your frustration.  This may sound incredibly selfish and self-serving, but as a senior with who knows how many years left to be able to do this, it gets frustrating to see everywhere I vacation so crowded.  It makes my remaining vacation travels much less fun (although for the record I truly make the best of it that I can).  Judge me as you will for saying that. 

Anyway..........you might find a little bit fewer crowds by booking suites and hanging out in the suite areas.  The E class Retreat areas are particularly nice, although IMHO I have found the rest of the ships on that class to be even more crowded and noisy than S or M class.  I would also recommend trying to book when kids are in school.  This is not a kids versus no kids comment - what I am meaning is that when families bring kids there are more people per cabin and therefore more crowded overall.  Just a fact.  Same goes for longer cruises (although there are fewer and fewer of those, especially in the Caribbean).  They may also be fairly full but usually filled with older people who are not out and about quite as much as the younger crowd.  The only other option as I see it is luxury lines with more space per passenger ratio, but those are often considerably more expensive.

I don't think kids was an issue for us as I only saw a 1 or 2 middle of October and Middle of May. I'm willing to pay more but not like double. I'd rather go to Hawaii and have a land vacation. 🙂 Honestly I'm happy for the cruiselines and their employees. We have land optioins though.

3 minutes ago, hcat said:

"kids sail free",  4 in a cabin, & the move up program all lead to  ships sailing full...packed!

Nice to enjoy one's own balcony ;   go to the  outdoor pools,  solarium or hot tubs early,  if  possible.  Do your best to avoid loud and shouty areas! 

Dine early in MDRs &  book specialty dining res for lunch and dinner to avoid lines or beepers.

Unfortunately,  many people do not get off at certain ports like San Juan or Nassau...so it's  hard to get the ship to yourself anymore..but less crowded for awhile.

Hope others can share  their strategies!

Loud areas don't bother me personally, but I do like to sit down once in awhile. LOL I didn't realize until on the ship about the lunch specialty dining. I would like to do that if it's a leisure time on a sea day. We did have lunch at Coco Cay beach club that worked well. Also we ended up eating twice at Murano's specialty dining. That was fabulous!!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

It is certainly not typical, but yes there have been several news articles about passengers getting bumped due to overbooking.  A quick Google will tell you that.  I haven't read about any lately but it did happen not all that long ago to several cruise lines.  Don't recall if any were Celebrity.

I agree that situations can and do occur that can result in this.  My point all along is only that I do not believe it is a common widespread cruise line practice to intentionally and routinely overbook cruises, which is all I've ever said.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

phoenix_dream - 100% agree.

For the moment the ships "report to be" full. Given the financial information I have seen lately for the USA, Canada, the level of debt of consumers is at a record. This may not last given economic history and reality.

The mass cruises are going big and "floating resort" hoping the current continues.

We have moved to premium and find the cost is the same as Celebrity Retreat but a much better experience and we enjoy going everywhere on the premium ships and meetings with all guests, not isolated.

In the end, to each their own.

I sense a big booking correction coming on the horizon, it all depends on the stock market afterall..................................

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

It would help to avoid traveling on the most popular routes during the holiday season. Sometimes a repositioning cruises isn't that popular. Pacific Coastals too.

Well, I don't have such a desire to go during holidays, long itineraries, or using different ports to embark versus disembark. That certainly makes sense, but I don't need to cruise jumping through those hoops. We can drive to FL ports that's our priority.

I follow all the major cruise lines and cruise them, too, each year. I don't post something unless I can back it up. I have read cases recently where people have gone to the port to board a ship and they were denied boarding even though they had paid in full, had a boarding pass, etc. 

I don't save those postings. If I find one, I will repost it. 

I didn't mean to create a scare type posting. Just to let those who are interested.

Cruise lines are overbooking, just like airlines. Maybe not as much. I don't know. I don't have detailed info. 

Like 'Joe Friday' from the ole TV Days. 'I just post the facts mam.' 'DragNet!!!!'

Happy Cruising!

58 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I agree that situations can and do occur that can result in this.  My point all along is only that I do not believe it is a common widespread cruise line practice to intentionally and routinely overbook cruises, which is all I've ever said.

i dont think they routinely over book but want every cabin filled ..more  concessions to gamblers, groups etc ..reminds me of " Stuff a Bus"