100% chance of rain on Fuji day. :(

Our Millennium cruise starts tomorrow. (Yay!) But the weather forecast for Tuesday is horrendous (1-2 inches of rain). We have a Celebrity excursion to Fuji booked. Anyone have any idea what the chances are that it will be cancelled if the forecast doesn’t improve ?

• Haha 1

Hope it works out.  I went to Fiji for a week years ago.  It was my first vacation ever, out of 100+ all over the world, that it rained every single minute of our trip except for a few hours before we left for home. 

15 hours ago, FolsomMike said:

Our Millennium cruise starts tomorrow. (Yay!) But the weather forecast for Tuesday is horrendous (1-2 inches of rain). We have a Celebrity excursion to Fuji booked. Anyone have any idea what the chances are that it will be cancelled if the forecast doesn’t improve ?

We had rain here too but just morning drizzle. We had some fantastic rainbow views from the ship to shore early morning. I believe that tours go ahead unless there is a storm risk. If there is a risk of thunder and lightning then they cancel/delay tours.

It is in the cruise lines interest to have tours proceed but they are very conscious of their responsibility. The best information you will get is on board not on CC…They will know the most up to date weather information and cancel/delay/curtail excursions as they see fit.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FolsomMike said:

no such thing as bad weather only the wrong type of clothing. If the your goes ahead take it and enjoy.

1 hour ago, the penguins said:

no such thing as bad weather only the wrong type of clothing. If the your goes ahead take it and enjoy.

get out your rain ponchos!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, the penguins said:

I hear ya, mate but I’m not sure how well my goretex jacket will hold up to three inches of rain. 🙂

Edited by FolsomMike

Posted (edited)

Years ago on our cruise through Korea, China, Taiwan and Hong Kong it was so cloudy and dreary for our 3 days in Hong Kong pre-cruise we skipped going up to the top of  Mt. Victoria since is was buried in the clouds.  Our day to visit the Great Wall...after thinking and planning and being ready to see and photograph this wall that runs for thousands and thousands of kilometers it poured down rain the entire time, visibility was maybe 200 meters.  It made for a very different picture that hangs on my wall today.  We can't fix or change the weather, we just have to go with it. I hope you got to get out and see Fuji.

Edited by Mr. Click

9 hours ago, gcornell said:

Hope it works out.  I went to Fiji for a week years ago.  It was my first vacation ever, out of 100+ all over the world, that it rained every single minute of our trip except for a few hours before we left for home. 

Ummmm the OP is going to Japan, I believe, on millennium

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, FolsomMike said:

Well, that was a bust…We basically stood in the rain while the tour guide told us that on a clear day, we would have beautiful  views of Fuji.  

Not that it is much consolation but here are some picture I took from Millennium last month in Shimizu.. If you want to add them to your collection I don't mind 

IMG_2501.thumb.JPG.737d93096ed47ab5d7e7dc04f4ac13f2.JPGIMG_2503.thumb.JPG.0bb01817a0a9fe1bd236cd5bec1c5cec.JPG

IMG_2500.thumb.JPG.e3ca5b421396d6b3a417dee1602e4742.JPG

IMG_2472.thumb.JPG.b7c9dc2b98c0337b4393b2ec635e3ca2.JPG

Although we did hit the crowds of Golden Week, we were about a week ahead of the start of the rainy season in Japan. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FolsomMike said:

Well, that was a bust…We basically stood in the rain while the tour guide told us that on a clear day, we would have beautiful  views of Fuji.  

I understand your disappointment….

One of the real disappointment of travel is when those ‘bucket list’ sights, much anticipated, don’t come to fruition. Just heard on the news that the Acropolis is closed today because of a heatwave. 

On a positive note if you miss a bucket list sight doesn’t that give you the ‘right’ to return!

We had a great view of Mt Fuji from the ship and Suumo Castle which we self-trained too. 

I doubt Celebrity would cancel or alter the itinerary. Too much profit for them. We did do the X tour up a mountain near Aomori. The base of the mountain was in the cloud and the top was a total white-out. Total waste of time. People on private tours had their trips altered, not Celebrity though. 

On 6/13/2024 at 7:56 AM, chemmo said:

I understand your disappointment….

One of the real disappointment of travel is when those ‘bucket list’ sights, much anticipated, don’t come to fruition. Just heard on the news that the Acropolis is closed today because of a heatwave. 

On a positive note if you miss a bucket list sight doesn’t that give you the ‘right’ to return!

Exactly this! In Rio we took a tour to see the famous Christ the Redeemer statue. The fog was so thick we said we could be looking at Nelson's Column. We literally couldn't see our hands in front of our faces.