Can I pay for a 4 person cabin with only 3 passengers?

Looking at a cruise on Celebrity Edge for 3 people.  14 nights out of Sydney in Jan 2025.  Currently the only rooms left for 3 people are the Infinite Verandah rooms - which I really dont want.

I rang Celebrity, and they said there is one Sunset Verandah room left, but it's designated as 4 person.  She tried to get permission to put just the 3 of us in it, but was told no.  I then suggested, can I pay for 4 people, and only 3 of us show up.  Its an extra $3000 AUD to do this, but that would give us the room we want.

So would this be allowed?  Paying for 4 people, but only 3 of us show up?  Is there a risk they would move us once they realise the 4th person isn't coming (even though I've paid for them)

Thanks

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jamespb78 said:

Looking at a cruise on Celebrity Edge for 3 people.  14 nights out of Sydney in Jan 2025.  Currently the only rooms left for 3 people are the Infinite Verandah rooms - which I really dont want.

I rang Celebrity, and they said there is one Sunset Verandah room left, but it's designated as 4 person.  She tried to get permission to put just the 3 of us in it, but was told no.  I then suggested, can I pay for 4 people, and only 3 of us show up.  Its an extra $3000 AUD to do this, but that would give us the room we want.

So would this be allowed?  Paying for 4 people, but only 3 of us show up?  Is there a risk they would move us once they realise the 4th person isn't coming (even though I've paid for them)

Thanks

I would never do that. IMO and experience that would be an unnecessary expenditure of money. Typically just because a stateroom is configured to accommodate four it doesn't mean that is the only booking configuration that will be accepted.  We have often booked staterooms that could accommodate more than two as a double occupancy booking without any issue. 

I am not aware of any special rules for non-US bookings that would specify what you suggest and would guess you were dealing with a representative that was not correct in their understanding regarding the booking for that stateroom.  Unless there are special rules for Australian bookings that would prevent this, I would not pay for a fourth person just to book that stateroom and would suggest calling back to talk with a different representative, or book through a travel agent instead, to confirm your ability to book that stateroom for the three of you.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Definitely get a good travel agent.

failing that, you could book a fourth person into the room and then have that person be a no-show. But that’s a very expensive and totally unnecessary option.

Posted (edited)

that's crazy... not worth the extra money

The SV on EDGE is great for two people..(stayed in one). a bit. more roomy  and nice  aft outdoor balcony

Where is the bed for 3rd person, let alone a 4th?  Is 3rd a child?The couch is awful.

Sounds like they are  stuffing the ship to the max!

btw..Inf Veranda is not bad..stayed in that as well.. but only with 2 ...in one bed.. Couch  is awful!

Edited by hcat

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the input so far.

I've now rung back and got a different consultant, who has confirmed what I was told by the first consultant.  Apparently the room I want, has a capacity requirement of 4 people on it.  The 2nd consultant tried to remove my imaginary 4th guest, but then got the error saying she cant.

I can kind of understand their reasoning.  Why should Celebrity settle for only 3 paying passengers in that room, when they could get more money with 4?  I don't think they will have any issues getting this cruise to 100% capacity as it will be in prime time holiday season here.

If I try do a new mock booking for 3 people, then every category is sold out except for suites (far too expensive).  If however I do a mock booking for 4 people, then there are plenty of options for most categories - I just cant have only 3 people in them!

So as ridiculous as it sounds, thats the reason Im considering it.  

Screen Shot 2024-05-27 at 3.59.26 pm.png

Edited by jamespb78

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, jamespb78 said:

Thanks

Yes, you can do that.  You may be able to cancel the 4th person before you make final payment because often the minimum passenger limits are lifted as the sailing date approaches.  These type of limits come up quite often.  For example, there are 3 person minimums on many Solstice class veranda cabins (grayed out balcony cabins).  Those minimum limits are eventually dropped.

EB41A1C2-E296-4764-9D3C-F84EC4111B55.thumb.jpeg.99ae06add48dace1d1f9028dee0960b3.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1

The SV cabins are all the same size no matter whether it holds 2, 3 or 4 passengers.  It doesn’t make sense to pay for 4 as you gain no additional space.  

Until recently, we were always 3 and book rooms on the slant with a larger balcony. Many of these are 3/4 occupancy and when it was a quad room, my TA never had an issue booking for us. Now we are cruising without DD we still book the same rooms and have not had an issue.