No need to think about cruise ship tipping!

I think this was a joking reference to "tipping threads".

But, since MSN has decided to quote such renowned maritime experts like "Readers Digest", I find the article completely compelling 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

It was interesting when they mentioned the ballast tanks were "packed with water"... I know I'm splitting hairs here, but since water is non-compressible, can you really pack it into anything?

• Haha 1

We took a 15%ish roll one night after getting hit by a rogue wave. All of the glassware in all of the cabins went flying and smashing against the wall.  The room stewards spent the night cleaning broken glass. 

2 hours ago, jrt.mom said:

It was interesting when they mentioned the ballast tanks were "packed with water"... I know I'm splitting hairs here, but since water is non-compressible, can you really pack it into anything?

Actually, yes.  Since any time a tank is not completely full, there will be "free surface effect", where the water sloshes back and forth as the ship rolls.  This sloshing decreases the stability of the ship, as it moves the center of gravity.  So, to prevent this, tanks like ballast tanks are "pressed up", where they are filled until the water flows out of the tank vent pipe, which is several decks above the top of the tank, ensuring that the tank itself is completely full.

• Thanks 7

4 hours ago, G-DawgMN said:

It's as unlikely to happen as cow tipping is...

https://modernfarmer.com/2013/09/cow-tipping-myth-or-bullcrap/

Based on the analogy used by the author perhaps it's not as unlikely as you think. The article was written in 2013 and says "...we feel confident in saying this happens at a rate roughly equivalent to the Chicago Cubs winning the World Series." 

Well...three years later the Cubs won the World Series for the first time since 1908...

Maybe, just maybe, those cows and ships aren't as hard to tip as was thought...😁

We'll now return to your regular programming.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

Based on the analogy used by the author perhaps it's not as unlikely as you think. The article was written in 2013 and says "...we feel confident in saying this happens at a rate roughly equivalent to the Chicago Cubs winning the World Series." 

Well...three years later the Cubs won the World Series for the first time since 1908...

Maybe, just maybe, those cows and ships aren't as hard to tip as was thought...😁

We'll now return to your regular programming.

If the Cubs had not won that series, the Cleveland Indians (now known s the Guardians) would have won that World Series. That too is exceedingly rare.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, jrt.mom said:

I had some hasenpfeffer once.  They had to split some hares for that.

• Haha 2