Queen Mary 2 last minute port cancellations

Algie21

8 hours ago, exlondoner said:

So wasn’t it a baggage hall? The station itself, which had room for eight trains is now a Museum, and no longer connected to the arrivals building internally. I believe there is a Terminal at Genoa still, and, of course, much of the Cunard facilities in the basement of their building in Liverpool is still there.

So the Queen Mary 2 still actually docks at the Gate Maritime? I had heard it was completely converted to a museum and they have a new cruise terminal in another part of the harbour.  I did have the privilege of seeing it from a distance when I sailed for Dublin on the W.B. Yeats last October (I can highly recommend that trip) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, westerdam said:

So the Queen Mary 2 still actually docks at the Gate Maritime? I had heard it was completely converted to a museum and they have a new cruise terminal in another part of the harbour.  I did have the privilege of seeing it from a distance when I sailed for Dublin on the W.B. Yeats last October (I can highly recommend that trip) 

We were on QV, and stepped off to this.

IMG_0489.thumb.jpeg.e36e378a3e70ed94e11f10af83e18a78.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

I'm going to Portland today LOL   (I live out in the country near Dorchester) 

Lunch at the Lobster Pot Cafe (great crab sarnies) and it is next to the working lighthouse which has a charming museum.
Back up the hill (2-300 yards) is the National Coastguard Watch station - They often welcome visitors. 

At the King of Hearts ice-cream shop in St Alban's St, Weymouth they are doing 99's (Mr Whippy with a Cadburys flake) for just £1.19 ---- bargain!

If you are National Trust members there are loads of places not too far from the Ship to visit but you need wheels.
Corfe Castle, Clouds Hill (T E Lawrence's Cottage) plus Hardy's Cottage and his other house Max Gate.

Also Hardy's Monument (but this is for the 'other' Hardy)
Swanage Railway are having a big steam weekend with 8 really big Bulleid express steam loco's that used to run to Bournemouth (The Belle) and to Weymouth (The Royal Wessex and the Channel Islands Boat Trains)

Weather is showing not too bad Portland weather forecast

Edited by rog747
  • Like 4

Having been to both Le Havre and Cherbourg, I preferred Cherbourg - seemed a lot more to see and do within walking distance of the ship.  Back in December 2014, we were on the “cruise to nowhere” aboard Queen Elizabeth. Due to high winds, the ship could not navigate the canal into Amsterdam for the planned overnight stay. Cunard were unable to arrange any alternative ports so we had 4 days at sea in stormy weather. Lots of passengers weren’t happy! In the case of today’s departure, it’s good to hear that two nice sounding alternatives have been found. Hope those on board have a good trip and you’re back in good time for me to board on Sunday for the fjords.. 😀

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kynance said:

Having been to both Le Havre and Cherbourg, I preferred Cherbourg - seemed a lot more to see and do within walking distance of the ship.  Back in December 2014, we were on the “cruise to nowhere” aboard Queen Elizabeth. Due to high winds, the ship could not navigate the canal into Amsterdam for the planned overnight stay. Cunard were unable to arrange any alternative ports so we had 4 days at sea in stormy weather. Lots of passengers weren’t happy! In the case of today’s departure, it’s good to hear that two nice sounding alternatives have been found. Hope those on board have a good trip and you’re back in good time for me to board on Sunday for the fjords.. 😀

and they forgot Rotterdam ... very broad no locks 

the weather forecast    :  for Zeebrugge  force  4 -  5 BF  north west winds 

and decent tugboats available 

another "easy " cancellation ? 

31 minutes ago, vistaman said:

the weather forecast    :  for Zeebrugge  force  4 -  5 BF  north west winds 

and decent tugboats available 

another "easy " cancellation ? 

pilot boarding is the key factor

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I don’t mind missing a port because of weather but little bit annoyed when you see tomorrow’s weather forecast for Zeebrugge does not seem to be showing any major dramas. I will make the most of it , looking forward to Cherbourg and am intrigued by Portland. Just find it bizarre to visit when I live in that part of the world. It’s raining hard here in the New Forest at the moment so will be fun in Southampton if it’s wet. 

Edited by Winifred 22

1 hour ago, Kynance said:

Back in December 2014, we were on the “cruise to nowhere” aboard Queen Elizabeth. Due to high winds, the ship could not navigate the canal into Amsterdam for the planned overnight stay. Cunard were unable to arrange any alternative ports so we had 4 days at sea in stormy weather. Lots of passengers weren’t happy! In the case of today’s departure, it’s good to hear that two nice sounding alternatives have been found. Hope those on board have a good trip and you’re back in good time for me to board on Sunday for the fjords.. 😀

I was on that trip too. Up and down the Channel. The last night we spent on the ship in Southampton! Some people had already disembarked.

Ditto for Sunday 🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kynance said:

We were also on this cruise. To be honest I love a sea day and didn’t mind so much. It did get a bit choppy at times though!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sogne said:

Hadn't thought of that.

Been in and out of Zeebrugge numerous times on ferries without any issues. You often felt the difference when the ship cleared the breakwater, so it seemed a well sheltered port. Not sure if ferries still get pilots as they call at least every second day.

I've not found anything about a strike in Le Havre on June 1st or 2nd. That doesn't mean there isn't one.

However I did find an article about an Anti Cruise Ship protest, although it says they are gathering at 4.30pm.

I've read of similar things in Marseilles and Toulon, and just the other day someone wanting the Nice Metropole authorities to ban cruise ships from the Port of Nice and Villefranche.

https://www.paris-normandie.fr/id527562/article/2024-05-30/le-collectif-stop-croisiere-le-havre-manifeste-samedi-1er-juin-la-catene-de

It's a local news site and in French.

Here's a Google translation of the most important bits of it:

"Saturday June 1 , 2024 at the Catène de containers, the collective “Stop Croisière Le Havre” demonstrates against the expansion of cruise ship stopovers in the port of Le Havre.
The “Stop Croisière Le Havre” collective is organizing a first event on Saturday June 1, 2024 from 4:30 p.m., under the Catène de containers. He denounces the expansion of cruise lines in the port city in contradiction with energy sobriety.
While a new cruise terminal should see the light of day in Le Havre before 2026, the “Stop Croisière Le Havre” collective protests against a “very polluting” cruise industry , in contradiction with the objectives of the public authorities to reduce carbon emissions. greenhouse gas ".
The “Stop Croisière Le Havre” collective recently joined the European Cruise Activist Network (Ecan) movement which wants to make June 1 the international meeting place for anti-cruises."

2 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Did they offer the opportunity to cancel for a refund?

I doubt that would be considered a significant enough change to warrant cancellation and refund. I have known of more significant changes that have not been refundable.

And to add salt into the wounds because the change was made pre departure then you cannot claim for missed ports on your travel insurance

1 hour ago, D&N said:

Hadn't thought of that.

Been in and out of Zeebrugge numerous times on ferries without any issues. You often felt the difference when the ship cleared the breakwater, so it seemed a well sheltered port. Not sure if ferries still get pilots as they call at least every second day.

Ferries have pilot exemption for at least 2 deck officers,pilot station Wandelaar is 10 or so miles out. Forecast is 4 north winds up to f7  which blowing all way down NS may build up a fair swell. Also QM2 is restricted by the various shallows in the Schedlt. I once spent 3 days in the Anchorage waiting 4 a pilot on a much smaller ship than QM2.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, david63 said:

I doubt that would be considered a significant enough change to warrant cancellation and refund. I have known of more significant changes that have not been refundable.

And to add salt into the wounds because the change was made pre departure then you cannot claim for missed ports on your travel insurance

A roll call poster has been offered a refund. 

57 minutes ago, david63 said:

Yes I was the thinking that too. Would have covered  my gratuities and other onboard spending. 

3 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

I wonder if you had to ask for it. There was no mention of it in the original email. 

That was why I asked, I wondered if this line meant if you called and asked for a refund they would give one.

"Should you wish to discuss your booking, please call our Customer Contact Centre who would be happy to help."

They were checking boarding passes for arrival times and those too early were being asked to wait and queue outside. There was also a man with a clicker counting people in  that I had never noticed before. By the time I went through security at 12 45 it looked busy outside. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, sogne said:

the Star Pride - stretched former Seabourn Pride - is in Zeebrugge and no problems with bringing the pilot on board   - actual force is  BF4  to 5

tomorrow a Norwegian C L is due to dock , not a small one.   

It’s a beautiful day in Portland

Here’s the view from shoreside, with QM2 and a French ship, Renaissance 

Then Portland Marina, which the ships are overlooking

Look what pax will see as they shuttle over the causeway to the mainland (5 minute hop)

Obvs I’m not a passenger, but, if I was, I think I’d prefer this itinerary.  Sympathy for those who had specific wishes for Zebrugge and/or Le Havre

922863AE-6279-4232-9577-21D3F575EF59.thumb.jpeg.ea6f2426d5eae9da9190f8e1c4398800.jpeg

343491A9-304F-4CDD-80E1-57A79E4A324B.thumb.jpeg.84e13445bc9d0e20bd85c81f3a2368a0.jpeg

CC9F0C2D-5354-46B3-8B97-254F9F32863B.thumb.jpeg.3e559b251a0e950d53bfaade9512bef7.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1