New Silversea Royal Caribbean/Celebrity Status Match Announced

taxatty

While we're on the subject, does anyone here know what the "upgraded" champagne in the cabin is for people with SS status? I'm guessing someone on this board has received this perk.

3 minutes ago, tfred said:

X and R certainly have European and Asian cruises. 

And South American and African and Antarctic and Middle Eastern (well, until now) and South Pacific Island and...

And don't forget the expedition cruises like Galapagos on the smallest ships!

I agree that SSea is an easy upgrade to consider for Retreat pax looking for more interesting. We are on a SSea Rome to Venice 12 day this August. It was actually less expensive than a X Med cruise so it was a no brainer. 

Yes, I've noticed that SS (and other "luxury lines") can be less expensive than booking in the Retreat. 

9 hours ago, Pizzasteve said:

Hi.  A little confused by this status matching and potential benefits of previous RC brand sailings.

We've cruised I think 2 Celebrity and one RC cruises long ago.  Have status on other brands but never SS.  Looking at booking a SS trip this fall, but does this mean we don’t get onboard services like laundry because it’s our first booking?  Do we need to consolidate our days of cruising RC brands in the past some way into a new status system?

The posts seem to have a lot of knowledge I lack.  But it seems that SS should want to attract my business as well (59, retired high income type) and if we are second class citizens on a ship that’s not attractive to me.

anyway any advice regarding SS is appreciated.  When alcohol is supposed to be included, what is ‘upgraded cabin sparking as a benefit.  Is the included drinks in a premium line poor quality and they are seeking up charges?  That totally turns me off to a like charging $1000 pp per day rates.

There is a free to use laundromat onboard for anyone to use. This from my first experience sailing on a luxury line (Oceania) and from the deck plans in my research for my upcoming first SS cruise. But if you wish to have your laundry handled by the ship and butler, then reserving a suite that offer that service would be the way to go for you.

The only alcohol where you have to pay extra would be when you want to buy alcohol by the bottle and wine pairing at La Dame, Kaseiki and Chef's Table. All other alcohol by the glass (if I am not wrong) is included.

• Like 1

We are happy about this.  I think it is great to bring all the brands together for status match.  If someone want to cruise with grand kids and the whole family on Celebrity or Royal, then you will now have your status with those brands.  I don't know if this has been posted in the thread yet as I didn't read all the way through, but   I want point out how hard it is to earn Zenith with Celebrity:  

Tiers of Membership

• Preview: 0 club points
  • Classic: 2 - 149 Club Points
  • Select: 150 - 299 Club Points
  • Elite: 300 - 749 Club Points
  • Elite Plus: 750 - 2,999 Club Points
  • Zenith: 3,000+ Club Points

Club Points based on:

• The number of nights you sail and the stateroom category. The higher the stateroom category you select, the more Club Points you will earn each night. 
    • Inside and Ocean View: 2 Club Points earned per night
    • Veranda: 3 Club Points earned per night
    • Concierge Class and AquaClass: 5 Club Points earned per night
    • Sky Class: 8 Club Points earned per night
    • Celebrity, Signature, Royal and Sunset Suites: 12 Club Points earned per night
    • Edge Villas, Reflection and Penthouse Suites: 18 Club Points earned per night
    • Iconic Suite: 24 Club Points earned per night

If a guest is sailing in a lowley inside or ocean view they would have to have 1500 days on Celebrity to Acheive Zenith.  Even in Concierge or Aqua,  they have to sail 600 days.   And for folks that are spending big bucks on the highest level suite, yes they can fast track, but I have seen the Iconic suite priced for a 7 day sailing at $51K pp.   So they are spending big bucks for the fast track. 

We cruise a lot now that I am retired, 15 or so cruises a year, and we choose different cruise lines for different reason.  We did the Canandian and Greenland Arctic last year on Silversea which had such a unique itinerary and the great expedition experience, but also some of the best food we have ever had at sea.   So nice to have RCI recognize our status across brands.   

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I stopped booking Celebrity in 2022 after reaching Elite+ status.  I have been booking Regent and Azamara since. So the SS status match is appealing for me to consider including them in my future cruising.

The main reason I haven't booked Celebrity recently is my feeling that for quite some time, they have been RoyalCaribbeanized with death by 1,000 cuts.  Is the status match part of that scenario going to be applied to SS going forward?  Have any regulars started to detect movement in that direction? It took about six years from Royal Caribbean Group's Celebrity purchase from Chandris before that started slowly but rapidly accelerated in recent years.

Since SS, like Regent, sail such small occupancy ships, will this adversely affect the ability to obtain available cabins as more RCL and X passengers (both past and present) vie for the limited availability?  Higher demand usually relates to higher fares.

While I see this status match benefiting the move up or returning X passenger and the company increasing revenue, how do you feel it will affect the loyal SS who already achieved their status the hard way?

As a side note, I've booked four Regent cruises at lower PP/PN rates than similar size Celebrity's Resort suites but Regent had far greater cuisine, amenities and benefits.

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, ChucktownSteve said:

I stopped booking Celebrity in 2022 after reaching Elite+ status.  I have been booking Regent and Azamara since. So the SS status match is appealing for me to consider including them in my future cruising.

The main reason I haven't booked Celebrity recently is my feeling that for quite some time, they have been RoyalCaribbeanized with death by 1,000 cuts.  Is the status match part of that scenario going to be applied to SS going forward?  Have any regulars started to detect movement in that direction? It took about six years from Royal Caribbean Group's Celebrity purchase from Chandris before that started slowly but rapidly accelerated in recent years.

Since SS, like Regent, sail such small occupancy ships, will this adversely affect the ability to obtain available cabins as more RCL and X passengers (both past and present) vie for the limited availability?  Higher demand usually relates to higher fares.

While I see this status match benefiting the move up or returning X passenger and the company increasing revenue, how do you feel it will affect the loyal SS who already achieved their status the hard way?

It is pretty hard to get to Zenith, I calculated that folks are spending close to 1 Million to get to the top tier on either line,   So I look at it as "The Hard Way" no matter how you get there.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, WesternBroncoCruiser said:

It is pretty hard to get to Zenith, I calculated that folks are spending close to 1 Million to get to the top tier on either line,   So I look at it as "The Hard Way" no matter how you get there.  

I already know I'll never reach the top tier, it's too far a carrot for me to reach for. I suspect there are more people in that "boat" so their most likely highest status will be Elite+ or Diamond+. However the status match is still appealing at the lower level due to the caliber of benefits.

At 15 cruises per year, I feel pretty accurate saying you not the typical cruising customer. 😁

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, WesternBroncoCruiser said:

Aloha.  I agree with you and several of my fellow posters. I could never achieve zenith because we have been blessed to travel across all the major mainstream lines over decades. If we had only sailed Celebrity then yes we would be zenith. It is my opinion however that part of traveling is variety and for us that is a joy.  While we are top tier with some lines and hotels we are close with others but again variety for us is the spice!  Enjoy 

• Like 1

Just had a look at the loyalty programs of RCL and Celebrity. Nothing much for an SS "elite". Complimentary laundry only for Zenith.

And the free cruises on Celebrity are 7 day Caribbean cruises.

Nothing really that would entice us to cruise with them. The traffic will be mainly all one way.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, drron29 said:

Just had a look at the loyalty programs of RCL and Celebrity. Nothing much for an SS "elite". Complimentary laundry only for Zenith.

And the free cruises on Celebrity are 7 day Caribbean cruises.

Nothing really that would entice us to cruise with them. The traffic will be mainly all one way.

Except if you are looking to take kids and grandkids on a family cruise during the holidays.

Once when we were on Paul Gauguin, which was then part of Regent, well heeled grandparents brought their entire clan of 40 plus kids and grandkids. This is quite common in rccl and celebrity to celebrity milestone birthdays etc. 

21 minutes ago, Emdee said:

Except if you are looking to take kids and grandkids on a family cruise during the holidays.

Once when we were on Paul Gauguin, which was then part of Regent, well heeled grandparents brought their entire clan of 40 plus kids and grandkids. This is quite common in rccl and celebrity to celebrity milestone birthdays etc. 

I'd think that if I had the desire and the finances to take 40+kids and grandkids on a cruise I wouldn't be too worried whether a free bag of laundry was part of the deal. I agree with drron29, this will largely be one way traffic.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, turtlemichael said:

I'd think that if I had the desire and the finances to take 40+kids and grandkids on a cruise I wouldn't be too worried whether a free bag of laundry was part of the deal. I agree with drron29, this will largely be one way traffic.

Absolutely.

So long as my SS benefits don't get watered down in some way, I'm completely indifferent to this.

I think I'd be Zenith but RCI would have to pay me to go on one of their Whales of the Sea or an X ship - even then I'd probably refuse.

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, turtlemichael said:

Me too. But there are people who will like the convenience of staying with their chosen line and rccl has great kids programs. 

3 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

I already know I'll never reach the top tier, it's too far a carrot for me to reach for. I suspect there are more people in that "boat" so their most likely highest status will be Elite+ or Diamond+. However the status match is still appealing at the lower level due to the caliber of benefits.

At 15 cruises per year, I feel pretty accurate saying you not the typical cruising customer. 😁

So the strategy has changed a bit now for some who are cruising for the carrot (next level).  Instead of splitting cruises between lines, if you are D+ and E+ (like us), just focus on one line and make it to P or Z.  Then you are in the top tier for all three lines.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

So the strategy has changed a bit now for some who are cruising for the carrot (next level).  Instead of splitting cruises between lines, if you are D+ and E+ (like us), just focus on one line and make it to P or Z.  Then you are in the top tier for all three lines.  

Our problem is that we are D+ and Elite+ for past cruises but also Gold almost next level on Regent, a number of days on SSea and Seabourn and Crystal.

After moving to luxury lines we try and cruise for itinerary and not to achieve a level. 
So getting 10% off SSea is not likely to sway us unless all the ducks align. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Emdee said:

Our problem is that we are D+ and Elite+ for past cruises but also Gold almost next level on Regent, a number of days on SSea and Seabourn and Crystal.

After moving to luxury lines we try and cruise for itinerary and not to achieve a level. 
So getting 10% off SSea is not likely to sway us unless all the ducks align. 

Sounds like a great solution. I’m envious of all of your days at Sea.

23 hours ago, tfred said:

RCG is not crazy enough to think that SSea can stand on its own without bringing in new customers. With the launching of Explora, Ritz Carlton and the existing Seabourn and Crystal, the lux cruise segment is getting competitive.  New to the market cruisers have no idea what the differences are and make choices that would be different than seasoned cruisers 

The status match program is just a way to let Royal and X cruisers that there is this other nice cruise line that we own and when you want something unique you can look at SSea for vacation fun.  Sort of the old GM model of start with Chevrolet, move to Buick and then a Cadillac 

There will not be hordes of Royal and X pax jumping to SSea.  Royal and X are 7 day, Saturday ships leaving from Florida.  Literally half the pax never get off the ship.  SSea is longer cruises, harder to get to get to ports and doesn't conform to most working people's vacation schedule. 

I agree with you on that last paragraph for sure. I just sailed Eclipse to Bermuda and can tell you there are many, many guests that would never sail with SS. Not just because of work schedule but other factors too. This was my first cruise back on Celebrity in 7 years and although there were not many kids on board the overall demographic was just way different than SS.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, tinaincc said:

Sounds like a great solution. I’m envious of all of your days at Sea.

I am likely a lot older than you! 
my motto is live life to the fullest. 
Right now spending kid’s inheritance. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

As a side note, I've booked four Regent cruises at lower PP/PN rates than similar size Celebrity's Resort suites but Regent had far greater cuisine, amenities and benefits.

You know that NCL holdings is looking at  this as well to see if it is successful. With them owning NCL, Oceania and Regent they would be a likely candidate for the same process 

less likely would be Carnival corp with everything from Carnival to Cunard. 

14 hours ago, late2cruisin said:

Yes, I've noticed that SS (and other "luxury lines") can be less expensive than booking in the Retreat. 

This is where my wife and I were at when we booked our first SS cruise (coming June 18th!).  The value proposition for X's Retreat has been getting worse and worse since the acquisition by Royal.  We debated between all the luxury lines but eventually picked SS due to the itinerary.  We booked a second SS cruise again b/c of the itinerary but also b/c the included shore excursions were more to our liking than a very similar cruise on Regent.  

I think where loyal SS customers will see an issue with X and Royal customers is with the dress code. Enforcement is lax, at best, on X.  I was happy to dust off my tux (and get it altered to fit my current "shape").

On 5/31/2024 at 5:34 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Nahhh.. not demanding.   Actually we are pretty self sufficient... I specifically usually ask the butler not to leave food and snacks in our room.  I'm the type that if something is sitting on the table it somehow ends in my stomach. 

Usually the butler stops by and tries to get us to use them more.   I'm also the type that usually prefers to run to the Barista and get my own coffee in lieu of picking up a phone and "bothering" the butler. 

This is where my wife and I are at.  We had one butler on X that basically stalked us b/c we weren't using her services.  It was hard to explain that we are self sufficient for the most part.

On 5/31/2024 at 7:59 PM, tinaincc said:

I knew I liked you! I’m the same. The thought of my butler taking the time to unpack for me is beyond comprehension along with all the things you mention.

My use of a butler starts and ends with keeping our mini fridge filled.

Pretty much the same as for my  wife and I.  We have sent laundry and it's hit or miss.  The last bag came back with my dress shirts jammed in the bag.  Not folded and placed in the bag, or better, put on a hanger, but literally stuffed into the bag.  They were unwearable.

14 hours ago, late2cruisin said:

Very much so.  $1k per person per night is not uncommon anymore.

When I saw the matching status levels for SS I felt very lucky.  I was hoping we'd get 100 VS days as Elites on X.  Getting 250 was a lottery win.

• Like 5

A few comments after reading the posts in this thread. I am Zenith on Celebrity after booking many cruises since the Covid restart in upper suites. Typically 18+ points per night so after 23 weeks at around $1000 per person my wife and I became Zenith. Total cost around $350K - not a million!

I started sailing Silversea, at around the same cost as Celebrity, and enjoy the experience much more. Celebrity has changed so much over the years. If you read posts on the Celebrity board, many, who are Celebrity loyalists, need a strategy to avoid the crowds, escape the noise, find a seat at lunch... Perhaps they will now consider Silversea.

The matching levels do not make sense to me. For example, someone could sail 8 days on Celebrity in an upper suite just to make Select status and then sail Silversea with free laundry and an extra 5% discount on all their future sailings. Yet one would need 500 days sailed on Silversea to have free laundry on Celebrity!!!??? 

Having witnessed the degradation in the Celebrity product, I hope Royal doesn't change Silversea too much even though some changes have already taken place.

As far as Family cruises (grandkid and all), I used to choose Royal and have decided to give the MSC Yacht Club a try. I hope it is a nice experience for me and my wife and a wild and crazy ship for the young ones to enjoy.

4 minutes ago, admranger said:

This is where my wife and I were at when we booked our first SS cruise (coming June 18th!).  The value proposition for X's Retreat has been getting worse and worse since the acquisition by Royal.  

I have pointed this out on the Celebrity board and was shot down...

We have sent laundry and it's hit or miss.  The last bag came back with my dress shirts jammed in the bag.  Not folded and placed in the bag, or better, put on a hanger, but literally stuffed into the bag.

The laundry service on Silversea is much better... 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, billc23 said:

As far as Family cruises (grandkid and all), I used to choose Royal and have decided to give the MSC Yacht Club a try. I hope it is a nice experience for me and my wife and a wild and crazy ship for the young ones to enjoy.

We still like Celebrity in the Retreat for the right itinerary but we are excited for our first SSea trip in 2 weeks.

We also have a MSC cruise planed in the Yacht Club in Feb to see how that goes. The YC experience looks to be pretty amazing. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, tinaincc said:

We still like Celebrity in the Retreat for the right itinerary but we are excited for our first SSea trip in 2 weeks.

We also have a MSC cruise planed in the Yacht Club in Feb to see how that goes. The YC experience looks to be pretty amazing. 

Same for us.  We're on our first SS cruise June 18th.  Very much looking forward to it.

You may want to watch Gary Bembridge's review of the Yacht Club on his "Tips for Travelers" youtube channel.  MSC just looks like Carnival on steroids with a hint of meth to me.  Never been on it but the crowds appear to be massive.  Yes, the Yacht Club is a ship within a ship, but you have to come out sometime!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, admranger said:

Same for us.  We're on our first SS cruise June 18th.  Very much looking forward to it.

You may want to watch Gary Bembridge's review of the Yacht Club on his "Tips for Travelers" youtube channel.  MSC just looks like Carnival on steroids with a hint of meth to me.  Never been on it but the crowds appear to be massive.  Yes, the Yacht Club is a ship within a ship, but you have to come out sometime!

Agree on all accounts. We picked a short cruise to test the waters. The only time we will come out is to go to a show and apparently the Butler escorts us! We will see.