Unrelated minor credit card

DD is bringing a friend with her on our cruise.  Neither has their own credit card (just debit).  DD can use my credit card obviously.  If friend "checks in" via the app using her mom's credit card, does she need to have that card with her when we actually take the cruise?  

They both have debit cards, but trying to avoid using those.  

20 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

DD is bringing a friend with her on our cruise.  Neither has their own credit card (just debit).  DD can use my credit card obviously.  If friend "checks in" via the app using her mom's credit card, does she need to have that card with her when we actually take the cruise?  

It would be best if she did. There was a time that there was an issue at check in and they needed our physical card. Can her mom get her a card with her name on it?  Back in the day, my mother made me an authorized user on her account and got me a card with my name on it when I was traveling to Europe on a school trip. 

Agree...don't use a debit card. I've been on several RCI cruises (recently) and they stopped asking for the physical card some time ago. Our most recent cruise a week ago my entire extended family was checked in using my credit card and no one asked any of them at check in to see my card.

Agree...with the above that her mom could get an additional credit card for her.

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

How will she settle her account - cash?

Edited by c-leg5

12 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

How will she settle her account - cash?

I was thinking the mom's CC (entered during app checkin).  But that brings up the question of whether the physical card needs to be presented pierside.

3 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I was thinking the mom's CC (entered during app checkin).  But that brings up the question of whether the physical card needs to be presented pierside.

From what I've seen/experienced on the several cruises we've recently done no one asks to see the physical card any longer.

• Like 1

I mean, how much do you think they'll spend?  Other child's parent needs to set a limit regardless of whose card it's on.  If you know the family well, you could just have them repay you after the cruise or give you cash ahead of time that can be put against the child's purchase.

I think I would have her check in with her Mom’s credit card (assuming that is ok with the mom). And, have her ask the mom if she can bring a physical card with her. If the mom says Yes to the check in, but No to bringing a physical card, then I would proceed with the hope that it is not required at the terminal. 
If they insist at the terminal that a physical card is required, then I would go ahead and put my card down. It will be easy enough to track her specific spending through the on board account. If she is spending more than you are comfortable with, you could always put a stop on the account.

You didn’t mention if she is an adult or minor (not sure that it matters), but in my family we use Venmo between us and our adult (over 18) children and their friends. There have been times when my credit card was used, then one of their friends Venmo’d me directly. My daughter and her friend did this often when she studied abroad in Europe. You could have her (or her Mom) Venmo you periodically throughout the cruise, to keep on top of expenses, assuming you have an internet package.  
You are probably doing this anyway, but I would help her understand what possible expenses she will have. Does she (and your daughter) have any type of drink package (soda, refreshment or deluxe)? If not, maybe it would be easier to get something like that purchased ahead of time. 

It all comes down to how comfortable, familiar, you are with her and her family. We are taking our first friend, non family member, on a cruise this summer. Although, he is an adult with his own credit card. 

Good Luck! Hope you have a great cruise!

1 hour ago, Mom*3 said:

I think I would have her check in with her Mom’s credit card (assuming that is ok with the mom). And, have her ask the mom if she can bring a physical card with her. If the mom says Yes to the check in, but No to bringing a physical card, then I would proceed with the hope that it is not required at the terminal. 
If they insist at the terminal that a physical card is required, then I would go ahead and put my card down. It will be easy enough to track her specific spending through the on board account. If she is spending more than you are comfortable with, you could always put a stop on the account.

You didn’t mention if she is an adult or minor (not sure that it matters), but in my family we use Venmo between us and our adult (over 18) children and their friends. There have been times when my credit card was used, then one of their friends Venmo’d me directly. My daughter and her friend did this often when she studied abroad in Europe. You could have her (or her Mom) Venmo you periodically throughout the cruise, to keep on top of expenses, assuming you have an internet package.  
You are probably doing this anyway, but I would help her understand what possible expenses she will have. Does she (and your daughter) have any type of drink package (soda, refreshment or deluxe)? If not, maybe it would be easier to get something like that purchased ahead of time. 

It all comes down to how comfortable, familiar, you are with her and her family. We are taking our first friend, non family member, on a cruise this summer. Although, he is an adult with his own credit card. 

Good Luck! Hope you have a great cruise!

I like that idea.  We know the parents (girls used to play soccer together up until friend dropped out around 9th or 10th grade b/c constant injury), but I wouldn't call us "close".  

Trying to avoid the "we pay and we'll settle up at the end".  Doable, but not ideal.  Girls are both 18. 

• Like 2

Only thing we have had to show in years is boarding pass and our passports.  And boarding pass just makes it easier for the people in the terminal since when they scan it then they have all the information already filled in for the cruise.  Sometimes they take our pictures, sometimes not.

She could always use a cash account onboard but then it needs to be settled before getting off.  Avoid the debit cards - daily plus end of cruise holds can equal double the spending on the cruise account and can cause overdrafts if the debit account is small.

Posted (edited)

Her mom should get her an authorized user card on her account. We raised our daughter to be responsible. When she went off to college, I got her an authorized user card for my credit card account. It was to be used for emergencies only and she was not allowed to use it without checking with me first. It made us all feel better knowing that she would have the means to pay for something if the need arose.

Edited by cruiseguy1016
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

Her mom should get her an authorized user card on her account. We raised our daughter to be responsible. When she went off to college, I got her an authorized user card for my credit card account. It was to be used for emergencies only and she was not allowed to use it without checking with me first. It made us all feel better knowing that she would have the means to pay for something if the need arose.

Or do what we did.  Both our boys had cc's when they left for college through USAA (we've been using USAA for 40+ years now for insurance and cc's).  They each had a $500 limit and they were responsible for the bill each month.  This was in 2002-2008 timeframe.  That way, they had their own card/account which they both still have as 38 and 40 year olds with wives.  $500 meant they couldn't go overboard but it gave them flexibility to spend on what they needed/wanted.  They also both worked summers so they had spending money of their own.  As a result, they have both had very high credit scores for quite a long time.  

Let me just add again we haven't had to physically show a credit card in quite sometime.

As recently as May 18th to board Icon. We had extended family (4 people) sailing with us and I entered my card for them during online check in and they also weren't asked to show a physical card. 

Only showed...SetSail Pass, Passport (which they also took a picture of) and a picture for your SeaPass card.

• Like 1

Sorry, I should have updated.  Talked to friend's mom.  She was going to get friend set up as authorized user either this week or next which would give friend own cc & number (on mom's account).  Which could also come in handy if she wants to buy something in port.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ashland said:

Let me just add again we haven't had to physically show a credit card in quite sometime.

As recently as May 18th to board Icon. We had extended family (4 people) sailing with us and I entered my card for them during online check in and they also weren't asked to show a physical card. 

Only showed...SetSail Pass, Passport (which they also took a picture of) and a picture for your SeaPass card.

There have been cases when people check in that things didn't save properly.  We've had it happen with photos and health questions in the past so it could happen with a cc.  Why risk it by not having a cc with you?

1 minute ago, BND said:

There have been cases when people check in that things didn't save properly.  We've had it happen with photos and health questions in the past so it could happen with a cc.  Why risk it by not having a cc with you?

This

Last year they lost me entirely. All checked in and ready to go on the website, nothing transferred to the ship's computer.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Sorry, I should have updated.  Talked to friend's mom.  She was going to get friend set up as authorized user either this week or next which would give friend own cc & number (on mom's account).  Which could also come in handy if she wants to buy something in port.

This is the best solution to the problem. The financial liability will all be on the friend and/or her mom. You won't have to worry about any surprise charges.

• Like 1