Requested dinner reservations

Lojay2

23 hours ago, iowananny said:

I know many Europeans prefer to eat later in the evening

That's us. 6.30 is still pretty much afternoon for us.  We want to eat at 7.30 or 8 and have a two top, whether in the GDR or a speciality. In three cruises, we've never had a problem making acceptable reservations. Never had to compromise except, occasionally, had to book for a different evening to the one we'd planned. But it's not something we'd ever get hung up over. If it comes to pass at some point that we can't get the right reservation, then we'd forego that speciality, rather than compromise. It'd be no big deal. 

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

@MEFIowa  Keep in mind that not everyone who is in a PH and above wants extra specialty dining reservations.  We book PH and have never asked for extra reservations.  We take our allotted reservations and that's all. We like dining in all the restaurants.  It's hard for me to believe that they're holding a bunch of slots open to PH and above just in case they ask for more. 

There are always empty tables in specialty restaurants.  It may be intentional or no shows.  While, it may be difficult to get a reservation online, once onboard there are available reservations. The longer the cruise, the easier it is to get reservations. There are several venues for dinner.  As time passes, many people get tired of eating big dinners.  The Terrace buffet is excellent.  Love Waves at night. Hope that Waves at night is included on all ships.  In warmer climates, the Terrace has outdoor dining.  Those tables are very popular.

• Like 1

We may/may not use our 4 specialty restaurants.  We can book 75 days out.  We really enjoy room service picnics or maybe a pizza and salad for dinner.  

As a newbie to O I assumed that everyone knew what their restaurant booking window opened so I am unclear on why some posters are so irate and get so upset over restaurant reservations.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, islabahia said:

... As a newbie to O I assumed that everyone knew what their restaurant booking window opened so I am unclear on why some posters are so irate and get so upset over restaurant reservations.  

The G-B cabins have a shorter booking window.

The potential issue involves whether O is allowing them full access to actual tables that are available when they're begin told either "There is no reservation available" or "The only reservation time available is 9 pm." Because at the same time, people in higher level rooms are saying, "I just walked up to the reservation desk that day and I got a great reservation at a nice time." How can so many apparently be getting these reservations, after the cruise has started, when others were told 45 days out, "No reservation is available for that day or time".

And the issue is at its worst involving tables for 2.

3 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

Hard to tell how "fair" the system is actually being applied to the various classes of cabins.

Kinda like business or first class flights. You get what you pay for and it's very unattractive to complain when it was 'your' choice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

There are always empty tables in specialty restaurants.  It may be intentional or no shows. While, it may be difficult to get a reservation online, once onboard there are available reservations....

That fascinating paradox:

(A) "There are always empty tables" and

(B) "It may difficult to get a reservation online" and

(C) "Once onboard, there are available reservations".

BUT IF (C) is true, then (B) shouldn't be true.

BUT IF (B) is true, then either (A) or (C) shouldn't be true, certainly not both true simultaneously.

AND if (A) and (C) are true, then (B) is a created problem, by O. That impacts mainly the G-B cabin passengers. 

3 minutes ago, clo said:

Kinda like business or first class flights. You get what you pay for and it's very unattractive to complain when it was 'your' choice.

The issue is the purported procedure, the actual process, and how what is stated by O compares to what is encountered on O cruises.

So you think it is fine if (1) O says G-B cabins have a shot at decent reservations when (2) O knows they do not because (3) O has secretly set it up to disfavor them without telling anyone about the actual process and how it favors and disfavors groups? That essentially lying and deception against the lower-paying passengers would be ethically appropriate to benefit higher paying passenger. On that, we'll have to disagree.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

secretly

Seems wide open to me. And we were recently in that medium low class of booking res and just took maybe one try to get something perfectly acceptable. When I have a legitimate complaint I take it to the top. I don't complain here.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, clo said:

Seems wide open to me. And we were recently in that medium low class of booking res and just took maybe one try to get something perfectly acceptable. When I have a legitimate complaint I take it to the top. I don't complain here.

What exactly seems wide open? As one poster above wrote,

"There are always empty tables in specialty restaurants.  It may be intentional or no shows. While, it may be difficult to get a reservation online, once onboard there are available reservations."

So, (1) why are there always empty tables? (2) Why is it difficult to make a reservation online in advance during your window? And (3) how can there be a plethora of now available tables once onboard?

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

What exactly seems wide open? As one poster above wrote,

"There are always empty tables in specialty restaurants.  It may be intentional or no shows. While, it may be difficult to get a reservation online, once onboard there are available reservations."

So, (1) why are there always empty tables? (2) Why is it difficult to make a reservation online in advance during your window? And (3) how can there be a plethora of now available tables once onboard?

I love being informed and entertained here and don't really mind aggravation but repetition? Nope. Time to hit "ignore." Bye bye.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

That fascinating paradox:

(A) "There are always empty tables" and

(B) "It may difficult to get a reservation online" and

(C) "Once onboard, there are available reservations".

BUT IF (C) is true, then (B) shouldn't be true.

BUT IF (B) is true, then either (A) or (C) shouldn't be true, certainly not both true simultaneously.

AND if (A) and (C) are true, then (B) is a created problem, by O. That impacts mainly the G-B cabin passengers. 

I think your analysis is founded in anecdotal reports of a small minority who post on CC and not on any factual data.

A. I've had reservations in specialties when that were only a very few tables were vacant within 15 minutes of seating.  And if there are a few vacancies, I'm aware that restaurants try to stagger reservations so that the kitchen and service staff are not overwhelmed at a single seating time,

B. What is meant by difficult to get a reservation on line? Do that mean you can't  get a reservation,or that you can't get a reservation at the specific time or a specific night and only for a two top?  Is there availability on other nights or times with or without sharing, but what's available doesn't suit the specific desires?

C.  What is meant by available reservations once onboard.  Are there always two tops available at the time and day one wants or does it mean there are various times and days potentially available with sharing if one is flexible.

Not everything that is done is conspirital;  sometimes it just practical.  And yes, folks who pay more may get an edge in treatment, but not to the extreme you suggest. 

BTW..on a different topic:  Have you eaten in Ember?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

I think your analysis is founded in anecdotal reports of a small minority who post on CC and not on any factual data.

A. I've had reservations in specialties when that were only a very few tables were vacant within 15 minutes of seating.  And if there are a few vacancies, I'm aware that restaurants try to stagger reservations so that the kitchen and service staff are not overwhelmed at a single seating time,

B. What is meant by difficult to get a reservation on line? Do that mean you can't  get a reservation,or that you can't get a reservation at the specific time or a specific night and only for a two top?  Is there availability on other nights or times with or without sharing, but what's available doesn't suit the specific desires?

C.  What is meant by available reservations once onboard.  Are there always two tops available at the time and day one wants or does it mean there are various times and days potentially available with sharing if one is flexible.

Not everything that is done is conspirital;  sometimes it just practical.  And yes, folks who pay more may get an edge in treatment, but not to the extreme you suggest. 

BTW..on a different topic:  Have you eaten in Ember?

I don't believe they have sailed on Vista ......

At least we'll get to retest the same issue over again on our upcoming 22 nights on Sirena where we change cabins. But going from an F to a C1, as opposed to an A3 to a B3 while on Riviera last November. Our 45-day window for dinner reservations opens in mid-July for the 1st cruise and end of July for the 2nd. And yes, we make the reservation at 1201 AM, the very first moment we make it.

Only have sailed on Riviera and Sirena. We cruise for excursions and ports. So the upcoming Baltic cruise is 20 days in ports. Only 2 sea days.

6 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

At least we'll get to retest the same issue over again on our upcoming 22 nights on Sirena where we change cabins. But going from an F to a C1, as opposed to an A3 to a B3 while on Riviera last November. Our 45-day window for dinner reservations opens in mid-July for the 1st cruise and end of July for the 2nd. And yes, we make the reservation at 1201 AM, the very first moment we make it.

Only have sailed on Riviera and Sirena. We cruise for excursions and ports. So the upcoming Baltic cruise is 20 days in ports. Only 2 sea days.

If that's the Aug 28 sailing, you might want to check in with your O-person about a discount or upgrade. I'm seeing Inside for 1620 and OV for 1860 (verandas/suites are not discounted). These are not available directly online in my experience...need to talk with a real person.

11 hours ago, Cruising Maryland said:

How many reservations don you get for a 14 day cruise? I've done 10 day cruises before and you get 1 in each restaurant. Wasn't sure if 14 days makes a difference. 

Depends on which category room you're in. This information is on the Oceania website. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AMHuntFerry said:

If that's the Aug 28 sailing, you might want to check in with your O-person about a discount or upgrade. I'm seeing Inside for 1620 and OV for 1860 (verandas/suites are not discounted). These are not available directly online in my experience...need to talk with a real person.

THX. I spoke with Michele about 10 days ago about that. She said it would be up to O's department to contact people. She said her screen was showing only 30 empty cabins. Though the O web site as F-A1 as Available and G as Guaranteed. AND we're past final payment. Which we've made. So for us, we'd have to finagle an upgrade from say F to B.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cruising Maryland said:

It is an A1 I couldn't find it on the website, will look again. 

Search their FAQs…put in Specialty Restaurant Reservations while in the FAQ search feature.  Access FAQ at bottom of their home website page. 

51 minutes ago, Cruising Maryland said:

It is an A1 I couldn't find it on the website, will look again. 

It's an oddly laid out website. You need to go to the bottom of the main page, look under Guest Services, choose Frequently Asked Questions. Then type in the box what you are looking for. Or here you go, the first one is free. 

Guests are permitted to make the following reservations in our specialty restaurants - which vary by ship, category, and length of cruise: 

Marina, Riviera, Vista and Allura
Owner’s Suite, Vista Suite, and Oceania Suite 
Cruises 7 days or less: 1 reservation at each restaurant 
Cruises 8-17 days: 2 reservations at each restaurant 
Cruises 18 days or more: 3 reservations at each restaurant 

Penthouse Suite 
Cruises 17 days or less: 1 reservation at each restaurant 
Cruises 18 days or more: 2 reservations at each restaurant 

Concierge Level Veranda, Veranda, Ocean View, and Inside Stateroom 
All cruises: 1 reservation at each restaurant 

Insignia, Nautica, Regatta and Sirena 
Concierge Level Veranda and above 
Cruises 7 days or less: 1 reservation at each restaurant 
Cruises 8-17 days: 2 reservations at each restaurant 
Cruises 18 days or more: 3 reservations at each restaurant 

All other categories 
Cruises 17 days or less: 1 reservation at each restaurant 
Cruises 18 days or more: 2 reservations at each restaurant  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruising Maryland said:

Thank you ORV, Was surprised that you get the same number of specialty reservations for Concierge and lower no matter the length of the cruise.

Important to note that is on the ships with 4 specialty restaurants. The 4 R ships with 2 are different.

9 minutes ago, ORV said:

Important to note that is on the ships with 4 specialty restaurants. The 4 R ships with 2 are different.

Once you book a cruise, you can also see how many reservations you get in your "My Account/Reservation" section.  Here's what mine shows (larger ship, oceanview room category, 14 day cruise).

infoondiningfrmyacctreservationscreen.jpg.cabc7495489d99ea47d7b9b5eadfee1c.jpginfoondiningfrmyacctreservationscreen.jpg.cabc7495489d99ea47d7b9b5eadfee1c.jpg

• Like 1