Continuous Glucose Monitor

I use a CGM with my iphone. I don't know a lot about technology, but if I put my phone on airplane mode, can I use the phone to track my glucose on the cruise without any roaming charges?

Myrna

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Your glucose monitor probably uses Bluetooth, so in airplane mode, make sure Bluetooth is turned (back) on.  Bluetooth has nothing to do with cellular/roaming.

Edited by jwlane
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, MJB1437 said:

I use a CGM with my iphone. I don't know a lot about technology, but if I put my phone on airplane mode, can I use the phone to track my glucose on the cruise without any roaming charges?

Myrna

You probably should also phone / chat with the supplier/ manufacturer of the glucose device

to make sure it will work as jwlane has suggested 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MJB1437 said:

Myrna

Yes, putting it in airplane mode would prevent roaming charges. I would test it now to make sure the monitor continues to connect.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MJB1437 said:

Myrna

Very easy to test. Put your phone in airplane mode now at home and see if the monitor/bluetooth/phone connection still works for you.

• Like 2

I can confirm what others have stated above--the CGM uses Bluetooth, which is completely separate from cellular data.  I've been on 2 cruises and one land-based vacation in the Caribbean, and I have used 3 different versions of CGM successfully while in airplane mode.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your info.  I tested and it works.  Now, if I can only eat right on the cruise so alarms don't go off, that would be a help 🙂

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MJB1437 said:

Thank you all for your info.  I tested and it works.  Now, if I can only eat right on the cruise so alarms don't go off, that would be a help 🙂

It is tough on a cruise but watch your portions and walk and walk and walk.  It has worked for me.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/3/2024 at 5:07 PM, MJB1437 said:

Have you told the cruise, either directly or via TA, that you have dietary restrictions of low sugar and no carbs?  Many other lines try to adhere to the request. 

One thing I have found they don't understand though is there is a difference between no sugar and no sugar added.  So it will be up to you to monitor which foods naturally contain more glucose.  Then just request the lower option ones. An example is grapes vs. berries.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

• 1 month later...
On 6/2/2024 at 7:43 PM, MJB1437 said:

Myrna

I use my Dexcom G7 CGM all the time on cruise ships/airplanes/etc.  As others point out, the CGM communicates with the phone app via Bluetooth and I never have a problem.

CM