Queen Anne Naming Ceremony

safarigal

4 minutes ago, JT1101 said:

Then the ceremony should have been postponed. 

I guess that would be difficult given that many of those onboard probably paid specifically to be onboard for the naming ceremony.

Anyway, it is purely speculation regarding a royal given the general election announcement would not have a bearing on this particular type of event, it's most likely to have been the plan for Liverpool to be godparent all along.

• Like 2

I have no problem with the Liverpool connection given its unique place in Cunard history. But coming from a long standing seafaring family I much prefer the traditional. Any sailing people on here might think of the word that describes  what you do when sailng  45° to  a head wind and slightly amend it.

33 minutes ago, JT1101 said:

Then the ceremony should have been postponed. 

And then people would have complained about that just as much, if not more. People were already upset she's been named after the maiden voyage, I can't imagine how people would react to being told it will be pushed back at least another 6 weeks.

Not to be a complete Cunard loyalist here, but I do feel for them, as either way they can't win.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, safarigal said:

I have no idea who her Godparent will be but I think I have solved the mystery of breaking the champagne bottle.

There is a pulley that goes from just above the Commodore Club to the front of the ship. At the front of the ship there is a board that says Queen Anne June 2024.

Do you think that the bottle will be attached to the pulley and at the designated moment when the Godparent pushes the bottle or give a signal, the bottle will be released to go whizzing down the wire and smash into the board at the bottom, scattering glass in the designated area and not in the Mersey?

There seems to be a camera there waiting for something.

IMG_7222.jpeg

IMG_7226 2.jpeg

The Godparent our the people of Liverpool

What a disappointment. Every other Queen has been named by a Royal and even though times are changing - they surely haven’t changed that much?
Cunard has not had offices in Liverpool since 1967 so if they were to make a port a godmother - should it not have been Southampton where their present offices are and where their fleet are based when operating from the UK?
I mean no disrespect to the residents of Liverpool - a city I know well and enjoy visiting.

• Like 3

And some scoffed at my idea of having Paul McCartney as Godparent. That initial idea looks better after today.  He and Bocelli together would have made a memorable event in an amazing way. After a Royal, he’s up next. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, NE John said:

And some scoffed at my idea of having Paul McCartney as Godparent. That initial idea looks better after today.  He and Bocelli together would have made a memorable event in an amazing way. After a Royal, he’s up next. 

We'd rather have Bocelli duetting with his daughter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, NE John said:

As long as he didn’t sing!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

As long as he didn’t sing!

Oh please, no!   Pretty adept at composing though.  Mull of Kintyre still brings me to tears

Just now, bluemarble said:

Cunard have posted this 15:30 highlights video of the Queen Anne naming ceremony on their YouTube channel.

It's frustrating that with the basic Cunard internet plan you can't watch YouTube,  will just have to do a lot of watching when I get home 🙂I

19 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Oh please, no!   Pretty adept at composing though.  Mull of Kintyre still brings me to tears

Oh no! I’ve now got that in my head…. Thanks and no thanks…

…mist rolling in from the sea…

• Haha 1

No problem at all with the City of Liverpool being given the honour of being God Parent to Queen Anne (it's my home town, so am biased) but do think they could have got rather better representatives. Most people were underwhelmed by the five (so called) "icons" chosen to represent the city. 

At least the fireworks were good - and the reception is always good in Liverpool.   

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

Oh no! I’ve now got that in my head…. Thanks and no thanks…

…mist rolling in from the sea…

My desire is always to be there, oh Mull of Kintyre (cue massed pipes and drums). I’m totally ruined for the evening too, now🤣🤣

• Like 1

16 hours ago, safarigal said:

It's frustrating that with the basic Cunard internet plan you can't watch YouTube,  will just have to do a lot of watching when I get home 🙂I

Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Cambridge ? whilst she still holds this title shouldn't we be referring to her as - HRH The Princess of Wales 🤔

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mareblu said:

My desire is always to be there, oh Mull of Kintyre (cue massed pipes and drums). I’m totally ruined for the evening too, now🤣🤣

Just no. It’s a dirge, though not quite as bad as the frog chorus thing. 

Saw McCartney attempt to sing a few years ago when he came on stage at the Roundhouse with Little Steven. He can’t, now anyway. 

53 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

Just no. It’s a dirge, though not quite as bad as the frog chorus thing. 

Saw McCartney attempt to sing a few years ago when he came on stage at the Roundhouse with Little Steven. He can’t, now anyway. 

It’s painful and awkward listening to him.  I don’t think he dver could manage a solo.

It was almost a parody of a naming ceremony.  I burst out laughing several times.  I suppose the mean-spirited might say Queen Anne is a parody of a Cunard ship.

• Like 2

I have to say, was completely underwhelmed by the ceremony, I don't know what I was expecting but it just all seemed tasteless,apart from Bocelli 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, 57eric said:

It was almost a parody of a naming ceremony.  I burst out laughing several times.  I suppose the mean-spirited might say Queen Anne is a parody of a Cunard ship.

Let's hope the mean spirited don't venture onto Annie. We can do without them thank you very much.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, 57eric said:

It is hard to draw a line between tradition and parody, isn’t it?