Carnival Cruise Line to Absorb P&O Australia in 2025

12 minutes ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Wonder how they will turn them into Carnival ships and how the funnels will be retrofitted. 

well for the costa ships they brought in (3), they did not add a funnel.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 787cruiser said:

I reckon we'll see the 2 P&O ships take over the Alaska summer rotations. I also wouldn't be surprised if Firenze is redeployed to Australia.

Write it down, more new world options coming.

I agree - I think you'll see the expansion of the Carnival brand. Overall, they have stayed concentrated in the US market, with smaller scale in Australia and Europe. 

• Like 2

I hope without any confidence at all that Carnival will keep the variety of ports that PO cruise to in the South Pacific. RC have a very restricted number of ports they sail to and as Diamond RC members we have seen it all so we cruise on PO in winter, which is really like summer in the islands to see unique destinations like PNG and Singapore.

Here’s hoping Carnival sees the chance to be different to the 3 island options by the other cruise lines and EXPAND to sail to new and exciting destinations. That would be a great point of difference and highly attractive,

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jonesboy said:

I hope without any confidence at all that Carnival will keep the variety of ports that PO cruise to in the South Pacific. RC have a very restricted number of ports they sail to and as Diamond RC members we have seen it all so we cruise on PO in winter, which is really like summer in the islands to see unique destinations like PNG and Singapore.

Here’s hoping Carnival sees the chance to be different to the 3 island options by the other cruise lines and EXPAND to sail to new and exciting destinations. That would be a great point of difference and highly attractive,

Possible on an exception basis, but without a doubt, their itins they (Carnival and P&O Australia) follow will continue as the majority.  Here is hoping for more unique Journeys, but setting up and doing those take time, as in months and months.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Beezo said:

I agree - I think you'll see the expansion of the Carnival brand. Overall, they have stayed concentrated in the US market, with smaller scale in Australia and Europe. 

I have a whole list of ideas for them.😅

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I cannot argue with your logic, but the assimilation of the loyalty plans into one, scares the heck out of me.

What exactly scares you about that?  I would love to use my CCL loyalty points on another Carnival Corporation cruise line.

35 minutes ago, 787cruiser said:

I reckon we'll see the 2 P&O ships take over the Alaska summer rotations. I also wouldn't be surprised if Firenze is redeployed to Australia.

I reckon you will get one after the dust has settled, the former Star Princess.

Pacific Adventure (Golden) has had the exhaust cowl modified so that it can transit under the Sydney harbour bridge to access the 2nd cruise terminal at White Bay. Over the summer. the main terminal at Circular Quay is 100% booked, and that reduced height gives them a key benefit of accessing the under-utilized terminal. 

As with the former Golden & Star Princess', P&O Australia has been fed cast-off ships going way back. Prior to the 3 current ships, Statendam, Ryndam, Crown Princess, Regal Princess, Arcadia, Tropicale, Jubilee. I wonder what they are going to do with their leftover ships now. Wouldn't it be somewhat of an insult to be sending tired 20-year-old Princess/HAL ships to be rebranded as Carnival?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Wonder how they will turn them into Carnival ships and how the funnels will be retrofitted. 

I'm guessing they won't attributing it to Aussie preferences. There is no way a Princess Grand Class can ever be confused with a Carnival ship.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Wouldn't it be somewhat of an insult to be sending tired 20-year-old Princess/HAL ships to be rebranded as Carnival?

Completely agree. It was an easy way to exit a ship from a mainline fleet but also maintain revenue. Also kept them from creating additional competition. 

I think we could easily see ships head to the scrappers.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Beezo said:

Completely agree. It was an easy way to exit a ship from a mainline fleet but also maintain revenue. Also kept them from creating additional competition. 

It might just mean keeping them a couple of years longer if there is no secondary market.

5 hours ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Not my photo, found it else where (not an official rendering either) but will give you an idea of at least what the rear will look like, curious if they will do a special livery for the bow like Venezia/Firenze.

image.thumb.png.cff9fb92b38eb640a74844d7ab503fcd.png

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

I reckon you will get one after the dust has settled, the former Star Princess.

Pacific Adventure (Golden) has had the exhaust cowl modified so that it can transit under the Sydney harbour bridge to access the 2nd cruise terminal at White Bay. Over the summer. the main terminal at Circular Quay is 100% booked, and that reduced height gives them a key benefit of accessing the under-utilized terminal. 

As with the former Golden & Star Princess', P&O Australia has been fed cast-off ships going way back. Prior to the 3 current ships, Statendam, Ryndam, Crown Princess, Regal Princess, Arcadia, Tropicale, Jubilee. I wonder what they are going to do with their leftover ships now. Wouldn't it be somewhat of an insult to be sending tired 20-year-old Princess/HAL ships to be rebranded as Carnival?

Though according to the announcement they are expected to stay in the region, I would love to see a Carnival-ized Grand Class ship in the states in the future, one of my favorite classes.

1 hour ago, Beezo said:

We will get an idea when we find out with what they plan to do with Pacific Explorer whether it be scrapped or sold to another operator. Two of her sisters are in service and one is still laid up.

3 minutes ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

Not my photo, found it else where (not an official rendering either) but will give you an idea of at least what the rear will look like, curious if they will do a special livery for the bow like Venezia/Firenze.

image.thumb.png.cff9fb92b38eb640a74844d7ab503fcd.png

Though according to the announcement they are expected to stay in the region, I would love to see a Carnival-ized Grand Class ship in the states in the future, one of my favorite classes.

We will get an idea when we find out with what they plan to do with Pacific Explorer whether it be scrapped or sold to another operator. Two of her sisters are in service and one is still laid up.

Nice rendering.

I love the Grand class too and looking forward to Crown Princess coming down to base in Sydney. Between Crown & Diamond, we will have 67 nights to enjoy those ships next year. Both of P&Os ships have itineraries running well into 2026. They may chop and change, but I suspect they will get through 2025 in their current homeports.

It is the newest of the Sun class ships (Oceana) that is up for sale, with the other sisters in having much lesser roles. I haven't heard of any afterlife for Pac Explorer, so I suspect she will be bound for Aliaga.

As for hand-me-downs, I know of plenty down here that would be more than happy to see a whale tail mounted on Coral Princess.

The removal of Pacific Explorer will affect a number of homeports: Auckland, Adelaide, Fremantle, and Melbourne. It will be interesting to see if Carnival uses Adventure or Encounter to serve any of those homeports. Luminosa could also be on the move since Encounter sails for Brisbane year-round.

On 6/4/2024 at 10:12 AM, jsglow said:

Actually quite exciting. For reference, the two ships Carnival is getting are the former Golden Princess and Star Princess; Grand Class ships that were built in 2000-01. I've personally sailed Golden to Alaska and she's a spectacular long distance cruiser. I particularly loved the high mounted aft bar/nightclub where you can oversee the entire length of the ship plus all the surrounding beauty of the nearby scenery as you pass by. It was truly the perfect  Alaska platform. There were mods made to her upon transfer to P&O Aus. back about 2019 to make her a tad more 'family friendly' (I think water slides and some family staterooms were added) but she is a wonderful ship approximating 109k tons for 2600 passengers. Star Princess is her slightly younger sister. 

Don't get too excited, we're trying to hang onto them Down Under!

5 hours ago, ceeceeDee said:

I would be interested in your perspective of sailing on these two ships and the other CCL ships and differences between them.  

Posted (edited)
On 6/3/2024 at 10:37 PM, jsglow said:

long thought Costa was next. I promise you that if Venezia and Firenze are highly successful, the rest of that Costa fleet will be wearing Carnival colors in 5 years. Now Princess, HAL, Cunard, Seaborn? No chance. Different product and market.

I would suspect that Carnival is at least researching merging Costa and Carnival, and how it would impact the bottom line. The ships, decor, and overall ops (Costa being Euro-Carnival). They have a fiduciary responsibility to look at all avenues for returning to profitability both in short term and long term.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Princess and P&O UK merged, and down the road, HAL with it. Princess and HAL (and P&O) largely have a similar demographic. Heck, the P&O Arcadia was originally ordered for HAL to be the 5th Vista class. 

Edited by UPNYGuy
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, ceeceeDee said:

While the ships are expected to stay in the region, once they are in Carnival branding, they can be swapped more easily with other ships in the fleet, large or smaller. Which would give the region more refreshed options in the future. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ceeceeDee said:

I think you will, at least for the short term. I very much enjoyed my time aboard Golden Princess. She's a very nice ship. Fits my cruising style perfectly.

29 minutes ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

While the ships are expected to stay in the region, once they are in Carnival branding, they can be swapped more easily with other ships in the fleet, large or smaller. Which would give the region more refreshed options in the future. 

Swap out Stumpy for Star Princess.  Stumpy is five years newer…. EM

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jsglow said:

I think you will, at least for the short term. I very much enjoyed my time aboard Golden Princess. She's a very nice ship. Fits my cruising style perfectly.

The wording is very interesting.  While we have absolutely no insight into the inner working of the beards, especially in this case, there is def aa market there and they will not walk away from.  That does not mean a swap or movement is not in the future.  The first indication would be when they announce 26 dates and sailing later this year.

• Like 3

My favorite account over on Instagram goodship_cruising gives us our best rendering of what they will most likely look like. He had a little fun and added “Carnival Fun Down Under” onto the hull similar to the Italian style ships. I do not believe they will have this kind of branding, as they are intended to be “full” transfers like Luminosa. 

I really did not expect to like this transfer at all, but it’s really growing on me. This really doesn’t look that bad. 

AE29C430-AA47-4A7D-B104-3DABF3F69D79.jpeg

7A18BAD6-7298-4424-B680-3421B6F4764D.jpeg

59F40A6B-B350-429C-8D08-F6E2F635487D.jpeg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Swap out Stumpy for Star Princess.  Stumpy is five years newer…. EM

Would love for this! 

3 hours ago, dolphinsfan246 said:

My favorite account over on Instagram goodship_cruising gives us our best rendering of what they will most likely look like. He had a little fun and added “Carnival Fun Down Under” onto the hull similar to the Italian style ships. I do not believe they will have this kind of branding, as they are intended to be “full” transfers like Luminosa. 

I really did not expect to like this transfer at all, but it’s really growing on me. This really doesn’t look that bad. 

AE29C430-AA47-4A7D-B104-3DABF3F69D79.jpeg

7A18BAD6-7298-4424-B680-3421B6F4764D.jpeg

59F40A6B-B350-429C-8D08-F6E2F635487D.jpeg

The pair will look great in Carnival colors, with any interior changes being mixed like Luminosa, some will change and some probably won’t. 

• Like 1