September Weather

Aubriee01

What is Alaskan weather like in September?  We are planning a cruise September 16th-26th 2025 and are wondering what to pack.  I know we need layers, but exactly how cold (or hot) does Alaska get in September?  

Hi, expect rain, cuz you never know about the weather up there can get cold. Just returned Sunday on the Brilliance, an in Ketchikan on Friday, it poured all day. Had a great time, but I'm ready to go back. Where in Texas do ya live? My dad grew up in Brownwood, he an my uncle were Aggies.

We had sleet on Labor Day a few years back. There have been major storms that closed ports and damaged ships in September. But, as pointed out every time this is asked, there are also nice days as well.

3 hours ago, Aubriee01 said:

September 16th-26th 2025

You'll be coming after the summer season is over and your options will be limited. Weather will most likely be in the 40's to the 50's. Rain is likely.

We live in a gigantic state -- but in southeast Alaska be prepared for heavy rain in September -- think horizontal rail -- and be thrilled if your weather is lovely.  And remember -- there is no such thing as bad weather -- just weather that folks are not prepared to encounter.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Where in Texas do ya live? My dad grew up in Brownwood, he an my uncle were Aggies.

We're in East Texas, about 25 miles east of Tyler.  Thanks for the info.

8 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

And remember -- there is no such thing as bad weather -- just weather that folks are not prepared to encounter.

True, which is why I want to be prepared.  I just wanted to know if I should waste space in my suitcase with a pair of shorts or maybe use that space for an extra pair of thermal underwear. lol. The 50lb weight limit the airlines allow make you carefully consider every ounce of clothing.

1 hour ago, Crew News said:

Long poncho or rain suit.

We're not leaving till Sept 2025, but have already bought rain jackets, rain pants, waterproof hiking boots, waterproof backpacks, and rain ponchos to cover the backpacks just in case.  Rain is the one thing we are expecting. lol. If we catch good weather it'll be a pleasant surprise, but if it's rainy like we expect we'll be prepared.  

It's the other stuff I'm not sure about and how do we fit everything into one suitcase and keep it below 50lbs?:classic_blush:

We had sleet in July once. A few years later, that same week - it felt like 90. Go figure.

Expect anything and be prepared for rain and wind.

19 hours ago, Aubriee01 said:

It's the other stuff I'm not sure about and how do we fit everything into one suitcase and keep it below 50lbs?:classic_blush:

We have done several trips around South America, one which included a leg in Antarctica, and had no issue with fitting appropriate clothing into two 26" suitcases.  Went from sweltering heat to icebergs.  And remember on Alaska cruises, no matter which cruise line, dress will be very casual.

• Like 1

You never know what the weather will be like. Two years ago, did a B2B. First run up was cold, rainy, cloudy. The second run the weather was beautiful. Sunny, warm, a lot of time no need for a jacket during the day.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2024 at 4:04 AM, Aubriee01 said:

We're not leaving till Sept 2025, but have already bought rain jackets, rain pants, waterproof hiking boots, waterproof backpacks, and rain ponchos to cover the backpacks just in case.  Rain is the one thing we are expecting. lol. If we catch good weather it'll be a pleasant surprise, but if it's rainy like we expect we'll be prepared.  

You seem well prepared. Honestly Alaska in September is possible in a carry on if you really want to. The only reason I’m doing checked luggage is because I’m bringing trekking poles which the US doesn’t allow in a carry on. 

I’m going on my third Alaskan cruise in September in 3 years. I love September in Alaska rain and all.

• Like 1

We did a land tour the 2nd week of September of 2021.  I looked at my pictures and most days I wore a zippered sweatshirt with a raincoat, rain-resistant pants, and gloves.  I wore an extra layer and a wool hat our days when we did an airplane ride in Talkeetna that landed on a glacier and on the Kenai Fiords National Park cruise.

• Like 1